Author Topic: KCLT and dynamic lighting  (Read 4511 times)

anarkia2004tj

KCLT and dynamic lighting
« on: June 28, 2017, 05:38:00 pm »
Hi, this airport is fantastic, instant favorite. There is just one thing I was wondering if I could get some insight on. My CLT installation has a bit of a quirk when it comes to dynamic lighting. During night time, dynamic lighting works on paved surfaces, but not on terrain (grass, taxiway signs, and objects that are not actually on the concrete), but during the daytime, the splashes will show even on the grass and other objects. does anyone else have this issue? I have tried updating and reinstalling the scenery btw. I have attached a picture of night lights, where it shows that the light just cuts completely out as soon as the pavement ends.  Thank You.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KCLT and dynamic lighting
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2017, 10:36:32 am »
In order to respond to dynamic lights like on the runway, a texture must use normal maps, and not all textures in the scenery use them.

In addition to that, some objects are made to handle night lighting in a custom and non-standard way, in order to save memory to prevent the sim from loading both the night and day textures at dusk, which would have double the amount of texture memory, causing OOMs and low fps at dusk. The side effect of this approach, is that those objects don't respond to dynamic lighting.

The issue is, the scenery design started almost 2 years ago, when nobody could foresee P3D V4, or dynamic lighting, so the first concern was to save memory and prevent crashes so, improving this would require an extensive rework.

anarkia2004tj

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 11:58:51 pm »
Couldn't have explained it better, thank you for the response.

AirBorne

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2017, 06:40:10 am »
Umberto, do you plan update these textures in order to "fix" this, or will leave it alone until a new simulator comes by and new scenery is created?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2017, 01:38:13 pm »
Umberto, do you plan update these textures in order to "fix" this, or will leave it alone until a new simulator comes by and new scenery is created?

We'll surely fix this before a new simulator will came.