Author Topic: Problem with RWY 22R Heading **SOLVED**  (Read 4331 times)

CajunRon

Problem with RWY 22R Heading **SOLVED**
« on: June 27, 2017, 12:59:38 am »
I attempted to do a CAT III landing with the PMDG 747 V2 onto RWY 22R in P3DV4.   The plane showed it was in LAND3 mode but was offset with the runway.   This has not occurred at other airports so I am thinking this is a problem with the airport itself.  Attached are two screen captures.  Capture1 shows the offset a mile or so before touch down.  Capture 2 shows the position of the plane at the instant of wheels touching down in the CAT III landing.

Don't know if this is a bug or a problem with my installation.   Any help would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:29:56 pm by virtuali »

CajunRon

Re: Problem with RWY 22R Heading
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 01:49:22 am »
Well I checked the AFCAD (KJFK_FSDT.bgl).   The heading of the runway is shown to be 30.7 (reciprocal = 210.7) and not 222 as supplied in the NAV data for the PMDG 747 and printed on the FAA approved approach plates.   But that turns it the wrong way and would make the offset even worse.    Why, why why?  Why do we have to use erroneous runway headings in the AFCAD to line up the runway with the NAV data?  Does not make sense.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2017, 02:03:07 am by CajunRon »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2017, 01:46:48 pm »
I attempted to do a CAT III landing with the PMDG 747 V2 onto RWY 22R in P3DV4.   The plane showed it was in LAND3 mode but was offset with the runway.   This has not occurred at other airports so I am thinking this is a problem with the airport itself.

First, 22R is an OFFSET ILS so, it would be wrong every trying to do a CAT III type landing because, one of the prerequisites of doing a CAT3 autoland, is the ILS should NOT be offset, otherwise the plane would land on grass...

So, the only "problem" in the scenery, is that is accurate to reality. See this thread too, with links to Google earth, showing the actual location of the offset localizer:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12002.0.html

Well I checked the AFCAD (KJFK_FSDT.bgl).   The heading of the runway is shown to be 30.7 (reciprocal = 210.7) and not 222 as supplied in the NAV data for the PMDG 747 and printed on the FAA approved approach plates. 

The runway heading in the AFCAD is expressed in TRUE heading, while approach plates indicates the MAGNETIC heading. The 22R *localizer* has a TRUE heading of 208, and if you add 14 deg of magnetic variation, you get the precise, exact, value of 222, which is the publisher *localizer* course. Of course, since it's an offset ILS, the runway heading would be 224.7 ( reciprocal or 30.7 + 14 magvar )

CajunRon

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 02:22:27 pm »
virtuali,

Thanks for the reply.   Attached is the approach chart for ILS RWY 22R.   From my limited knowledge I don't see any indication that this is an offset approach in real life.  My experience has been that an offset approach is communicated on the approach chart.   I'm not seeing it.   How would a pilot know that it is an offset.   The minimums are at 263 feet AGL.   It seems he should be aware of the offset before he's at 263 feet and visually sees it...but I'm not a real pilot so I don't know for sure.

I am learning more about CAT III landings and I agree I should not have done a CAT III on RWY 22R.   There is no approach chart for a RWY 22R CAT III like there is for 22L.    The 22L CATIII works flawlessly.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:31:52 pm »
From my limited knowledge I don't see any indication that this is an offset approach in real life.  My experience has been that an offset approach is communicated on the approach chart.   I'm not seeing it. 

Yes, the FAA charts are somewhat less clear than Jeppesen's. But there's some indication of the offset localizer, in the small inset in the lower left of the charts which depicts the runway diagram, where it says "LOC/DME", showing the position of the localizer, which is not aligned to the runway.

Jeppesen charts have it way more clear, with an "Offset Loc" label on the approach chart:

http://www.ivao.cz/downloads/IFRTOUR/KJFK.pdf