Author Topic: CTD at KLAX at night **SOLVED**  (Read 3968 times)

VitaminA330

CTD at KLAX at night **SOLVED**
« on: June 25, 2017, 10:52:20 pm »
Dear FSDT team,

Now that I've moved to P3D4, I have a strange problem at KLAX:

When I park at Gate 57 (Delta Terminal) at night with the PMDG 777 and look left facing northwest, the screen freezes for about 10 seconds and then CTD. I've got the impression that it happens as soon as the TBIT terminal becomes visible.

This happens...

...only at night
...only at KLAX so far
...only with the PMDG 777 (PMDG 747 and other aircraft work fine under the same conditions and the 777 works fine at other airports that I've tried so far)
...only when looking into this direction

...in both views: VC and outside
...independent from dynamic lights being switched on or off.
...independent from aircraft lights being switched on or off.

What's more, the comparison between landing lights on and off that you described in another topic to show how little influence the kind of coding has, works for example at KDFW and a PMDG aircraft. But at KLAX in the same aircraft, fps drop down to 2-3 as soon as dynamic lighting is switched on - even if all aircraft lights are switched off, and even with 2xMSAA ! Somehow PMDG and KLAX don't seem to like each other at my system.

Are there any known issues with that? What can I do?

BTW, I've got no other scenery installed except FTX World textures and FTX LC NA. A few more information about the circumstances: Nvidia GeForce GTX 970 (driver just updated yesterday), Intel i5 CPU @ 3,4 Ghz, Windows 10, Prepar3D v4

Regards, Dominik
« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 10:20:19 am by virtuali »

Dave_YVR

• Beta tester
Re: CTD at KLAX at night
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 04:07:35 am »
 Does it happen at every time of night?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 11:09:51 am »
...only with the PMDG 777 (PMDG 747 and other aircraft work fine under the same conditions and the 777 works fine at other airports that I've tried so far)

Somehow PMDG and KLAX don't seem to like each other at my system.

I'm sorry, but if your first sentence is accurate, I can't see how the scenery could have anything to do with this. If the PMDG 747 and other airplanes works fine, the only difference is something in the 777.

I've got reports that, after the latest PMDG 747 update, the performance loss with landing lights has improved so, clearly, the problem was never the scenery to begin with, and they must have done something to the airplane.

VitaminA330

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017, 03:30:05 pm »
I'm sorry, but if your first sentence is accurate, I can't see how the scenery could have anything to do with this. If the PMDG 747 and other airplanes works fine, the only difference is something in the 777.

Because at every other airport the 777 works fine. So I thought it could be a combination of any factors concerning lighting. I didn't say it IS the scenery. But I assumed it could have to do with it.
I can ask at PMDG, but I fear that they say: "If it only happens at KLAX, it clearly must have to do with the scenery". BTW, I have just updated the 777, too.

Does it happen at every time of night?

I'm gonna check different times of the night. Maybe the issue is somewhere I would never have assumed it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 02:55:19 pm »
Because at every other airport the 777 works fine.

But since the PMDG 747 and every other airplane works, it cannot be the scenery. Fact the PMDG 747 works, seem to exclude there might be some kind of conflict between the PMDG software modules and our software modules.

So I thought it could be a combination of any factors concerning lighting

KLAX doesn't use any special lighting.

The TBIT building has just a lot of transparency effects but, again, if the scenery had a problem, it would happen with every airplane or, at least, with similarly complex airplanes if, for example, the complexity of the scenery triggered some kind of video driver bug that would happen only together with a similarly complex airplane, material-wise (lots of transparencies, etc.).

But the PMDG 747 working, seem to exclude this theory.

I can ask at PMDG, but I fear that they say: "If it only happens at KLAX, it clearly must have to do with the scenery

Not if you add "the PMDG 747 and every other airplane works at KLAX" to the report.

VitaminA330

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2017, 10:20:53 pm »
OK, I've now deactivated the rest of the non-FSX-native AI traffic. This particular problem seems to have gone now, but I've got CTDs frequently at various addon airports in various situations and various aircraft, mostly at night. I don't really know yet what it is. But sometimes you just need some experience on a new platform and some problems go by the time.

About the DL: It's very strange! Sometimes switching DL on has almost no impact on performance, and sometimes it makes P3D almost stop working under obviously the same conditions and at the same place. Sometimes even switching it off and on again is enough. Sometimes it isn't. In some forums they say the graphic driver would be very important. In others they say something completely different... I don't know. Maybe P3D4 is just too new to really find out what causes the problems..