Author Topic: FSX-SE: KCLT & KMEM CTD's upon exit of FSX. Unable clean shutdown.  (Read 9355 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX-SE: KCLT & KMEM CTD's upon exit of FSX. Unable clean shutdown.
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2017, 01:47:47 pm »
The stuttering was the result of an un-optimized fsx.cfg.

The issue is, there are some settings that, while promising to be "optimized", are very dangerous and cause crashes. The most very well known is the Poolsize=0 setting. Yes, you might see a smoother flight but, if you have too high settings, a memory hungry airplane and too much texture memory taken, it will INCREASE crashes.

This has been discussed a lot when we released KMEM: people were convinced there was something wrong with it, because some were getting lots of crashes in FSX. Of course, the scenery didn't had anything to do with this, and it was caused by having manually added the very dangerous PoolSize=0 tweak, which should only be used if you have plenty of spare memory.

with the update to the PMDG777 and 737, PMDG now has a similar issue with a .dll not allowing FSX to close properly. I bring this up because they've heard their customer reports and are investigating.

This seems to indicate the problem was never KCLT to begin with. Are you able to quit the sim when NO 3rd party modules, except our own are loaded ?

With "no 3rd party modules loaded", I mean *everything*, not just the ones you don't care for...Obviously, just AS A TEST. I'm not trying to say you must use the sim like that, but it's not possible to "investigate", if you don't remove all the extra factors.

What about FSDT? I've seen at least 4 people (probably more) post about this SimObject crash on your forum.

Fact you see a post, doesn't mean that is the cause or there's a problem with the scenery.

You are confusing the cause with the effect. If the Simobjects are not there, nothing will work, of course. But if the objects are there, they will be created, and they will take memory and, if you use the scenery together with lots of other stuff, it's possible there might be a conflict with another module caused by that one, but just because KCLT, being a fairly large a new scenery, is big and takes quite a bit of memory.

garymcginnis

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2017, 07:01:15 pm »
 ???

You obviously read what you want and re-word what I say to meet your own assumptions. It is actually very entertaining. Now do you want to re-read what I posted about PMDG and actually see what I said, or not?

As far as the fsx.cfg tweaks go, again making assumptions about my sim again I see.....

I have had FSX for over 4 years. In that time I have had a total of three CTDs. One was when I first installed FSX, without a tweaked FSX, during a simple start-up and basic test flight. Once the FSX.cfg was tweaked and the UIAutomationCore fix applied, I was good. The other two, where C++ errors caused by your installer installing a non-English version (Italian IIRC) of C++ during the install. The first time I pressed OK and it closed FSX. The second time I minimized the C++ error, and was able to finish my flight with frozen weather. I got lucky and stumbled on a forum topic indicating to check your C++ library if you had installed FSDT stuff recently, which I did, and found the culprit.

The simple fact is, FSX will not shut down correctly when I use an FSDT airport ever since installing KCLT. It has been reported other places in the forums as well. Now we can keep going around in circles about it or you can re-read what I said about PMDG and realize I was simply trying to make a point that they are aware of a similar issue and are actually trying to fix it.

Let me put it this way, this scenery has NOT been worth the hassle.

Depending on how you reply this time, will make me decide if I even want to log back into the forum and work on it or not.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 07:03:17 pm by garymcginnis »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2017, 09:42:59 am »
You obviously read what you want and re-word what I say to meet your own assumptions.

There weren't any assumptions in my reply, but just facts and things you could try to verify them. The only one making an assumption about this scenery supposedly being a problem, was you.

Now do you want to re-read what I posted about PMDG and actually see what I said, or not?

They they also had a problem of the sim closing because their .dll was loaded ? That's precisely why I asked to try the scenery with all their modules DISABLED!

As far as the fsx.cfg tweaks go, again making assumptions about my sim again I see.....

I'm not obviously making any assumptions but, since you haven't posted it, I only indicated the KNOWN causes of tweaks that are known to be dangerous, that cause crashes that other users mistakenly attributed to our sceneries in the past, not because the scenery was the cause, but because these settings ONLY affect sceneries that uses lots of textures.

The other two, where C++ errors caused by your installer installing a non-English version (Italian IIRC) of C++ during the install.

That's not the case. If you don't believe this, you can check the temporary folder during the installation, and verify from the file properties of the vc_redistx86.exe we start, that's the English version.

The simple fact is, FSX will not shut down correctly when I use an FSDT airport ever since installing KCLT.

You forget to say: on YOUR system. If KCLT was a problem, this should happen to every other FSX user out there, and we would have the forum flooded by similar reports. Fact we haven't, should be enough for you to know the problem is not the scenery.

It has been reported other places in the forums as well

It has been reported only in this thread, and only by you and another user.

Let me put it this way, this scenery has NOT been worth the hassle.

That's why we have a Trial for. So, you can test it on your own system and, if your own system has another problem that is causing this, even if the problem is not the scenery, you can always decide if it's "worth the hassle" or not on YOUR system.

Depending on how you reply this time, will make me decide if I even want to log back into the forum and work on it or not.

I always reply in the most factually and technically correct way. Now, would you please try what I suggested before, which is trying the scenery with all the PMDG modules DISABLED ?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:02:25 am by virtuali »