Author Topic: Stutters every 3 seconds when panning around in KIAH (P3D V4) +RWY shimmering.  (Read 12547 times)

Piotr007

Hi,

I just bought a giant bulk of addon airports from FSDT site. I noticed at some airports, in this case also KIAH that there are constant stutters when panning around and facing towards the airport. The stutters occurs every 3 seconds or so and it takes a millisecond but is very annoying and noticeable.

I also tested KFLL (Lauderdale), KLAX and KJFK V2. Apparently this issue does not occur at those airports. However, KIAH has this problem!

My question is what could be the root cause of this stutter? Antipopup slider is set to max in Addonmanager. So that's not the issue.

Another problem then:

During day I noticed runway shimmering in distance after taking off. This shimmering/flickering of runway shades (skidmarks or something) could be the root cause of the stutter that is appearing? Besides KIAH I do also have KORD that has the stuttering issue.

I am at odds end what to do. I re-ran the FSDT Live Update several time, so version should not be the issue. I also have ORBX installed, but that is not the issue because airports like KJFK are working just fine.

I hope to get some input from other FSDT members or even developers.

Thanks in advance!

Peter

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Try to run the Live Update now, we just released two updated files, which should hopefully fix both issues.

Well, the flickering runway will be fixed for sure, but I'm more interested to know if the stuttering has improved for you, because we used a new P3D V4 native method to reduce traffic on Simconnect, which is shared by all addons.

Piotr007

I sincerely thank you for this valuable reply. Running update now. Will report back later.

Piotr007

Try to run the Live Update now, we just released two updated files, which should hopefully fix both issues.

Well, the flickering runway will be fixed for sure, but I'm more interested to know if the stuttering has improved for you, because we used a new P3D V4 native method to reduce traffic on Simconnect, which is shared by all addons.

I tested and immediately noticed the problem is still there. I am going to do a complete reinstall of KIAH.

Then I will do the same with KLAS and KCLT. Those three I am having problem with stutters. Except the bonus issue at KIAH is still the shimmering of the scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Except the bonus issue at KIAH is still the shimmering of the scenery.

Do you mean you still have the flickering runways at KIAH now ? Have you noticed if the Live Update downloaded a couple of files, the bglmanx64.dll and the KIAH AFCAD ?

I am going to do a complete reinstall of KIAH.

Totally useless, since the full installer hasn't been updated yet, so your only chance to get the updated files is through the Live Update.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:35:57 pm by virtuali »

Piotr007

Except the bonus issue at KIAH is still the shimmering of the scenery.

Do you mean you still have the flickering runways at KIAH now ? Have you noticed if the Live Update downloaded a couple of files, the bglmanx64.dll and the KIAH AFCAD ?

I am going to do a complete reinstall of KIAH.

Totally useless, since the full installer hasn't been updated yet, so your only chance to get the updated files is through the Live Update.

The Live Update runs so fast I could not keep up unfortunately. For the flickering at KIAH, it is the whole scenery I am afraid. I thought it only was the runway. But it seems the flickering is around whole the terrain of KIAH. I wonder if it has to do with cloud shadow rendering? I have cloud shadows on. But it does not apply on KIAH, but on the surrounding scenery.

I checked the KIAH scenery file.

KIAH_AIP_FSDT = 16-6-2017 = updated
kiah-fsdt = 16-6-2017 = updated

I do not know what to do, except turning off cloud shadows? It seems not compatible at all with the scenery?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The Live Update runs so fast I could not keep up unfortunately

It should have paused a bit to update the bglmanx64.dll file, which has also been updated.

For the flickering at KIAH, it is the whole scenery I am afraid

It was never the whole scenery, not even before. It was always just the runway, which is why it was fixed by updating the AFCAD. So, I'm starting to believe your issue is different, perhaps another scenery in conflict.

But then, why you titled this thread with "RWY shimmering", and describe the issue like this ?

During day I noticed runway shimmering in distance after taking off. This shimmering/flickering of runway shades (skidmarks or something)

I wonder if it has to do with cloud shadow rendering? I have cloud shadows on. But it does not apply on KIAH, but on the surrounding scenery.

I have the cloud shadows on, and I cannot see any flickering now. Before, only the runways, and there was a clear reason why: the AFCAD had a problem.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:05:40 am by virtuali »

Piotr007

I will check other sceneries.

As for the stutterings, the following airports are affected except KIAH:

- KLAS
- KMEM
- KCLT

The rest works fine. In total 4 airports I have stutters, at KMEM even a bit worse than at KIAH. But KIAH is the only one with flickering.
Strange, changing cloud shadow to "0" did not make a difference. Stuttering still is there.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:08:16 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
As for the stutterings, the following airports are affected except KIAH

So, you are now confirming it's fixed at KIAH ?

- KLAS
- KMEM
- KCLT

The rest works fine. In total 4 airports I have stutters, at KMEM even a bit worse than at KIAH. But KIAH is the only one with flickering.
Strange, changing cloud shadow to "0" did not make a difference. Stuttering still is there.

Sorry, but I'm not following you now. First you say that, in regard to stuttering, you have a list with 3 airports affected, and say EXCEPT KIAH, then in the next sentence you say "In total 4 airports I have stutters" ??

Piotr007

Besides KIAH I meant, sorry. I am a bit tired. Those 4 airports in total,  besides KIAH the other 3 is what I meant. Wrong word usage. Pardon me.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:24:37 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Besides KIAH I meant, sorry. I am a bit tired. Those 4 airports in total,  besides KIAH the other 3 is what I meant.

Well, since I did have a very minor stuttering at KIAH, but now it's entirely gone with the update, the safest assumption is that your stuttering is not caused by anything related to the sceneries themselves, but just your settings.

KIAH is the lighter of the 4 so, maybe you just set your settings too high.

Have you changed the AffinityMask of the sim perhaps ?

Piotr007

AffinityMask=84

The sim runs smoother. Without it I get 10 to 15 fps. Now I get 30 to 40 because core 0 is not overloaded. Other airports run smooth so this cannot be the issue. Let met point out I have KLAX, CYVR and KJFK. No stutters at all. Runs like silk. KFLL also runs as silk. I rechecked KORD. It also runs well.

Only the 4 mentioned earlier have problems.

Ow yes, even PHNL runs great, and also KDFW...LSZH and LSGG. I guess I mentioned all of them now which I bought.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 12:33:00 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Other airports run smooth so this cannot be the issue

That's one of your assumption, which has no merit, since the effect on the Affinity mask is to change the relationship between the execution of different processes, and its effect changes depending on WHAT these process are doing and, since our sceneries are really scripts that runs under *another process*, not only the AffinityMask CAN have an effect on this, but it might be different for each scenery.

So, first thing to try, would be reset it to default, which means leaving Windows to handle the split of workload between the various cores.

Let met point out I have KLAX, CYVR and KJFK. No stutters at all. Runs like silk. KFLL also runs as silk. I rechecked KORD. It also runs well.

I might understand if you said that just KORD, KJFK or Zurich ran well, because they ARE less impacting sceneries compared to KMEM or KCLT. But KIAH is much easier on the system than CYVR so no, this doesn't really make sense.

But first thing to do, try removing the AffinityMask tweak.

Piotr007

A bit of a FPS hit, but I guess I have no option. If this solves the issue I am content. Time to tune down some settings then... I report in second.

I am sorry. But your theory does not hold ground. My scenery does not even load when I remove AffinityMask. And fps go from 30 to 15. Core 1 get's a constant 100% hit. Other cores work laze or not at all. Strange, I did not know this would be the outcome now.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:50:39 am by virtuali »

Piotr007

Leaving AffinityMask out did not solve any issues, unfortunately. I am trying to trace down the issue, perhaps there is something that is causing a huge issue.

I have installed URP v1.1 for P3D v4 by the way. This involves shaders.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 01:50:53 am by virtuali »