Author Topic: Configuring support software for Prepar3d v3 | Prepar3d exe has stopped working  (Read 6958 times)

hrhett

I'm not sure where to post this as it seems to be affecting more than one of my FSDT add-ons. I'm running P3dV3.4 on a capable Windows 7x64 system. I've been running the add-ons very happily for some time and have been managing them in SceneryConfigEditor V1.1.7. I bought KCLT recently and it installed and ran fine. Shortly thereafter though it stopped (working). So a couple observations:

• Following installation, my FSDT entries in SceneryConfigEditor vanished
  • I tried reinstalling KCLT but get the error where P3D launches and crashes during install
  • I read through the forums, removed Prepar3D_Default.fxml, Prepar3D_Default.wx and Prepar3D.cfg to no avail

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Best regards,
Howard

i7-6700k @4GHz
16GB RAM
Windows 7 64bit
GeForce GTX1070

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Following installation, my FSDT entries in SceneryConfigEditor vanished

This is entirely normal, and it's caused by that utility, which apparently hasn't been updated to support the native P3D scenery installation system, which is no longer based on the scenery.cfg, but the add-on-xml.

tried reinstalling KCLT but get the error where P3D launches and crashes during install

During *INSTALL* ? Nobody ever reported this problem so, please, be more specific and indicate the precise, exact, error message that you are getting during the installation.

hrhett

When I install KCLT, I
    -Right-click the executable kclt_fsx_setup.exe and run as Administrator
    -Select the NEXT (3) prompts
    -The installer starts adding files, Microsoft runtime, etc.
    -When installer gets to Configuring support for Prepar3D v3, P3D window pops up indicating program has stopped working
    -I close the program and the install resumes
    -P3D window reappears with aforementioned error a second time, I repeat the process as indicated
    -Installation completes but when P3D is launched, CLT only shows flattened scenery

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
-When installer gets to Configuring support for Prepar3D v3, P3D window pops up indicating program has stopped working

Ok, I understood the problem and, of course, it doesn't have anything to do with the installer.

What the installer is doing at that time, is to use a new facility offered by Prepar3d from 3.3 onwards, that can call Prepar3d.exe to ASK the sim to add/remove an addon, and this is the suggested installation procedure from the P3D SDK. The sim will not really start, it will just run for a very brief time, long enough to reconfigure its files to add the addon.

So, if Prepar3d is crashing at that time, it doesn't have anything to do with our installer, but something wrong in your installation is preventing the sim to be started like that.

Be sure you don't change any of the compatibility settings of the sim, let it all at default (no compatibility flags of any kind), and be sure you don't run the installer when the sim was still running.

hrhett

Umberto,

What do you mean by "compatibility settings"?

Howard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The compatibility tab which is found by right-clicking on any .exe file, and selecting "Properties", then "Compatibility". Everything should be unchecked there, which is the default.

hrhett

Okay, got it. I uninstalled FlyInside for the Oculus Rift and reinstalled (since this was the last major system change). The installer ran without error but the scenery remains blank inside the simulator. When I check the Addon Manager I see that the scenery is ACTIVE but not installed in the scenery library. If I go to the scenery library though, it says otherwise (see enclosed).

Howard

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
The installer ran without error but the scenery remains blank inside the simulator.

With "blank" you mean greyed out ? It's NORMAL, and if you read all the forum posts about this, we explained many times that is how it's supposed to be, with sceneries installed with the new P3D native installation system.

When I check the Addon Manager I see that the scenery is ACTIVE but not installed in the scenery library. If I go to the scenery library though, it says otherwise (see enclosed).

I think you caused the problem yourself because, according to your screenshot, you have added some FSDT sceneries MANUALLY to the Scenery Library (the black ones), likely because you assumed there was a problem with them being "greyed out", which was instead entirely normal.

The ones you added are now causing a conflict, because double scenery areas won't work in the sim.

hrhett

"With "blank" you mean grayed out ? It's NORMAL, and if you read all the forum posts about this, we explained many times that is how it's supposed to be, with sceneries installed with the new P3D native installation system."

When I say blank, I mean that there's nothing in the sim.

"I think you caused the problem yourself because, according to your screenshot, you have added some FSDT sceneries MANUALLY to the Scenery Library (the black ones), likely because you assumed there was a problem with them being "grayed out", which was instead entirely normal. "

No Umberto, that wasn't my presumption and that wasn't my course of action. LAS and LAX were already previously installed and are running fine. CLT is the only one I'm having problems with. I'm just looking for a little help is all.

H-

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
When I say blank, I mean that there's nothing in the sim.

That's because, there's a double area, which means two areas pointing to the same folder, and this will cause neither of them to be visible in the sim.

No Umberto, that wasn't my presumption and that wasn't my course of action. LAS and LAX were already previously installed and are running fine. CLT is the only one I'm having problems with. I'm just looking for a little help is all.

According to the screenshot you posted, there are double areas for the following sceneries:

Fsdreamteam KCLT
Fsdreamteam KLAS
Fsdreamteam KLAX_V2

You can tell they have been created manually, because they are black in the list, so they are located in the scenery.cfg, which our installer doesn't use, but it's what is used if you add the areas manually from the Scenery Library "Add area" button.

The one greyed out are those created by the installer, which named them differently ( "Fsdreamteam Charlotte", etc. ), the ones added manually took that name from the folder you picked up when creating the area manually.

They are all doubles, so nothing will show up in the sim, because of the double entry, so they must be removed.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 11:10:47 pm by virtuali »