Author Topic: No Ground Light Splash in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**  (Read 11012 times)

downscc

No Ground Light Splash in P3Dv4 **SOLVED**
« on: June 09, 2017, 07:36:06 pm »
With either default or addon aircraft, at night there is no lighting of the pavement (ground light splash).  This effect appears normal at other locations such as KSFOHD (Flightbeam) and default airports.  In couatladdons.ini, I have tried with either [kmem] p3dmode=true or false.  Pavement markings and runway lighting is as expected.  Suggestions please.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 09:57:33 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: No Ground Light Splash in P3Dv4
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2017, 01:14:59 am »
That's how the scenery is made. Is really too complex to explain but, due to the way custom night light is made (KMEM was designed years before anybody knew anything about P3D4 and dynamic lighting), the aprons do not support dynamic lights.

We would have to do a specific upgrade for this, but it won't be a quick job to do so.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 09:59:03 am by virtuali »

downscc

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2017, 07:09:15 pm »
Not just aprons, there's nothing on the runways either.  Ah....., not a very satisfying answer because all other FSDT and Flightbeam products do not have this problem and I thought KMEM was one of your newer products.  Bottom line, it needs updating. Got it. Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2017, 07:12:53 pm »
I thought KMEM was one of your newer products. 

As strange as it might sound, it's the oldest product that have less problems. KMEM uses a very unique way to handle night textures, which is different from everything else but, until dynamic light came out, this wasn't an issue.

airlinetycoon

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 08:10:31 am »
have the same issue, is there any solution in sight? It is really difficult to fly FedEx nightflights in the total darkness. :(

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:58:49 am »
have the same issue, is there any solution in sight? It is really difficult to fly FedEx nightflights in the total darkness. :(

From a previous reply in this thread:

We would have to do a specific upgrade for this, but it won't be a quick job to do so.

airlinetycoon

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 07:16:31 pm »
Thank you Umberto, but that was not my question. For the moment KMEM is not usable at night for me. Please give us a short timeline for the rework.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2017, 10:30:54 am »
Thank you Umberto, but that was not my question. For the moment KMEM is not usable at night for me. Please give us a short timeline for the rework.

As I've said,  it won't be a quick job, and will require significant changes, which is why I haven't provided any indication of how long it will take. Most likely, we'll start looking at it, after KSDF will be released, which should hopefully be sometime in July.

downscc

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 08:24:08 pm »
Just a gentle bounce to this topic, looking forward to fixes for dynamic lighting. Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 02:32:04 pm »
Just a gentle bounce to this topic, looking forward to fixes for dynamic lighting. Thanks.

As I've said, it won't be a quick job, and will require significant changes, which is why I haven't provided any indication of how long it will take. Most likely, we'll start looking at it, after KSDF will be released.

Since KSDF hasn't been released yet, no work has even started about fixing KMEM for DL.

Fuchs

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2017, 10:29:22 am »
Get the same issue and I'm waiting for a patch ;)

btw, awesome scenery ;)

AirBorne

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 07:54:55 am »
Indeed, it's a pity that this scenery has this lighting issue, quite unusable at night. Now that in v4 it's working nicely for me, without those heavy stutters it presented in my rig during the v3.x era.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 09:18:13 am »
Indeed, it's a pity that this scenery has this lighting issue, quite unusable at night.

We are entirely aware of this but, as I've said, the scenery was designed in 2014, when we only "assumed" the next version of the sim would have been 64 bit but, we didn't had any informations about its capabilities, let alone how the dynamic lights would work (or they might even be there), so we designed a fairly complex system for night lighting, trying to save the last bit of memory, by not having the sim loading both day+night textures under any situation.

This means, it might not be a quick fix, because it would require lots of objects to be remade. I ask for patience, but the upgrade will surely come. We haven't "abandoned" a scenery made in 2009 like KLAS (that has just been updated), we are surely not going to abandon KMEM.

Now that in v4 it's working nicely for me, without those heavy stutters it presented in my rig during the v3.x era.

Yes, of course.

The stuttering was our software preventing the sim from crashing due to OOM, because the whole scenery would never fit in memory if loaded together with a memory-hungry airplane so, between a crash and some stuttering, we preferred the less of the two evils, and the stuttering was the result of creating/destroying objects as soon as possible, in order to only have a fraction of the scenery loaded at any given time.

But of course, thanks to the fact we have complete control on the scenery creation process, it was enough to change the default behavior when running under P3D V4, and the stutters were gone.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2017, 09:57:28 am »
UPDATE

Good news: we just released the update for KMEM to support P3D V4 landing lights. You can get it from the FSDT Live Update icon.

flapsup

« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2017, 10:22:09 am »
UPDATE

Good news: we just released the update for KMEM to support P3D V4 landing lights. You can get it from the FSDT Live Update icon.
Thank you Umberto. Always appreciate your dedication to your customers.