Author Topic: JFK scenery causes CTD (Out of Available Memory)  (Read 7293 times)

cburna

JFK scenery causes CTD (Out of Available Memory)
« on: March 04, 2009, 10:32:59 am »
My problem is that whenever I am flying my approach into JFK my computer always messes up. (Either the screen goes black and crashes to desktop or the "Flight sim ran out of available memory" error. My drive is 150GB and has around 12GB free.
New York is completely modified, I run Aerosoft Manhattan, Imaginesim LGA and EWR along with Megascenery NY and FSDT JFK.

The problems only happen when I fly into New York and not when I fly out. I noticed this after installing FSDT JFK.
I have done trial and error, (tried different aircraft, unchecked the FSDT JFK scenery) to figure out what's causing this.
I found that FSDT JFK is the problem, my system runs fine when I fly into JFK with the default JFK scenery with any of my aircraft.

Does anybody experience similar things like this? Can somebody help?

This is annoying especially as I paid for this JFK scenery and I have to uncheck it everytime I want to fly to the New York area.

P.S. I can fly into FSDT O'Hare scenery with no problems.

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: JFK scenery causes CTD (Out of Available Memory)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 12:57:26 pm »
This doesn't have anything to do with JFK.

You simply exhausted your avaiable RAM. Obviously, since you have installed a LOT of addon for a specific are, the problem might have happened with any of them. If you already were on the *borderline* of exhausting your memory without JFK, you can't expect adding it would improve it.

But it would have happened just the same if you already have JFK installed, and added all the other addons after it. You might have had the impression that the *other* addons caused the issue, because it would have manifested only after you installed them.

So, it's not anyone's fault, it's just the combination of so many products in such a small area, that simply doesn't fit in your memory. Also, you are not saying which airplane are you using. I bet it happens more frequently with PMDG 744, which takes about 800 MB of RAM alone.

The issue is, regardless of how much system RAM you have, FS9 by default would never allocate more than 2GB, unless you modify BOTH the FS9.EXE to enable >2GB or RAM AND you modify your Windows startup with the /3G switch to allow for this.

To do this, have a look here:

http://www.simviation.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199566076/1#1

cburna

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2009, 03:07:39 pm »
Thanks for your reply.

After unintalling your scenery and reinstalling plus updating my video drivers it is working better.

BUT...

I still get an fe.dll CTD. This only happens when I'm on the ground at JFK.

P.S. How do you modify FS9.exe to enable more than 2GB of RAM?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2009, 03:58:46 pm »
I still get an fe.dll CTD. This only happens when I'm on the ground at JFK.

This *might* be caused by a missing or corrupted AI texture.

P.S. How do you modify FS9.exe to enable more than 2GB of RAM?

It's explained in the link I've posted before.

pilotboy1

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2009, 06:47:26 am »
Hey im getting the same issue as well in jfk... but only when i appraoch the airport its looks like default then when im on like 5 mile final the fsdreamteam scenery for jfk loads then when im like 2 out it turns screen black ?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2009, 10:36:28 am »
The problem is not the scenery, see this post here:

http://forums.flightsim.com/vbfs/showthread.php?t=195815

It's an user that *thought* the problem was our scenery, but in fact was something else.  It's for FSX, but the principle it's the same.

Of course, under FS9, it's easier to get problem like this, especially if you haven't patched the FS9.EXE for >3GB, see the previous posts to know how to do it.