Author Topic: Strange lag spike?  (Read 10505 times)

Mejjo

Strange lag spike?
« on: June 07, 2017, 04:43:16 pm »
Hi all,

Just purchased this airport. I thought i'd do a little test flight so i was just flying around the airport and whenever i do an overly of the scenery i get a really bad lag spike. Its like i am quickly pausing and un-pausing the sim.

Has anyone else had this issue?
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 05:07:30 pm by Mejjo »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Strange lag spike?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2017, 08:12:34 pm »
You don't say which sim you use but, if you use FSX or P3D 32 bit, as I suspect, that's to be expected, but uou can the following to minimize pauses on FSX:

- Raise the Anti-pop setting in the Addon Manager menu. Note that, you will risk Out of memory errors if you do this, but it will surely reduces pauses.

- Disable the "compensate object altitude", from the CTRL+F12 menu for Charlotte.

Mejjo

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2017, 10:16:37 pm »
I am using FSX:SE. I wish i would of know this before purchasing or i wouldn't of bothered. It's a bit of a waste when it does that constantly. No other FSDT products do it for me so its unfortunate. I guess i will wait a switch to P3D V4.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2017, 12:01:32 am »
I am using FSX:SE. I wish i would of know this before purchasing or i wouldn't of bothered. It's a bit of a waste when it does that constantly.

As I've said, this goes away is you:

- Raise the Anti-pop setting in the Addon Manager menu. Note that, you will risk Out of memory errors if you do this, but it will surely reduces pauses.

AND/OR

- Disable the "compensate object altitude", from the CTRL+F12 menu for Charlotte.

precious62b

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:18:50 am »
I got it too, but could you elaborate a little more on what both of those settings do?  Also in regards to the anti-pop setting what would be a suggested value to use.  Somewhere in the middle like 15 maybe?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 03:18:32 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:18:40 pm »
I got it too, but could you elaborate a little more on what both of those settings do? Also in regards to the anti-pop setting what would be a suggested value to use. Somewhere in the middle like 15 maybe?

On FSX, it's only dependent if you have other memory-hungry addons you have installed.

If you use it with enough free RAM, an high value, even 30, might work. But if you use a memory-hungry airplane, or your settings are too high, you risk crash due to not enough RAM available, so it would be best to stay at 1 or 2.

precious62b

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2017, 09:30:01 pm »
I have 16gb with FSX. I also want to confirm that the anti pop tewture only applies to scenery in the addon manager and not the FSX.cfg

Thanks again. Learning something new everyday

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2017, 09:59:28 pm »
I have 16gb with FSX.

No, you don't. You have about 3.5GB with FSX, because that's the only memory it will ever see, as 32 bit app.

I also want to confirm that the anti pop tewture only applies to scenery in the addon manager and not the FSX.cfg

That's a setting FSX doesn't know anything about it, it's relevant only to our sceneries, as the Addon Manager window clearly says.

precious62b

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2017, 06:16:11 pm »
Sorry I confused RAM with VAS. And it's clearly there in the addon manager you're right

garymcginnis

« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2017, 08:14:36 pm »
So what is the story on this? I have tried all replies in this topic. No avail. Its almost like the stuttering issue I had at KMEM last year. Any "quick" moves of the yoke/rudder pedals does it for me. My computer powers thru them but it is very annoying. Almost didn't purchase KCLT based on my KMEM issues and really beginning to wish I wouldn't have.

garymcginnis

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2017, 08:42:20 pm »
I may have figured this one out.......

Even with the AntiPop line added to the FSX.cfg, the Addon Manager was still showing a value of =1 and not =30 as has been my setting since FSDT PHNL. I did a quick test after resetting this value of =30 within Addon Manager and I didn't seem to notice the spike while slewing around to the great wall of 36R. I guess can you confirm that the FSX.cfg AntiPop config line does nothing anymore and all AntiPop has to be controlled thru the Addon Manager? In the past the Addon Manager would add this line to the FSX.cfg but not anymore?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2017, 11:28:36 am »
I guess can you confirm that the FSX.cfg AntiPop config line does nothing anymore and all AntiPop has to be controlled thru the Addon Manager? In the past the Addon Manager would add this line to the FSX.cfg but not anymore?

Yes. Since users didn't like we added stuff to the FSX.CFG, we listened and, in the current version, the setting is stored in the Couatladdons.ini file, in a separate section for each sim.

Of course, if you just used the Addon Manager slider, instead of editing files manually, this change would have been entirely transparent to you.

garymcginnis

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »
Well i can tell you 10000% that the AntiPop line in my fsx.cfg, the one I've used since PHNL, was not doing a thing for KCLT or KMEM and once I opened up Add-on Manager, all FSDT airports showed a value of =1. So there is something fishy about it.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 11:02:35 am »
Well i can tell you 10000% that the AntiPop line in my fsx.cfg, the one I've used since PHNL, was not doing a thing for KCLT or KMEM

Have you read my previous message ? That's precisely what I said: the AntiPop line in the FSX.CFG is NOT USED ANYMORE, because the setting is now moved into the Couatladdons.ini file, which is located in the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folder.

and once I opened up Add-on Manager, all FSDT airports showed a value of =1. So there is something fishy about it.

That's precisely what is supposed to be.

By default, under FSX, the value is 1 but, as I've said, if you used the Addon Manager *slider*, which is what you are supposed to do, instead of manually tweaking a file (the fsx.cfg) which is not used anymore, it would be saved and used in the new location automatically. It would just work...

garymcginnis

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2017, 03:34:15 pm »
Thank you. I must of misread what you meant.