Author Topic: The Charlotte Installation DID NOT Dectect my FSX Folder **SOLVED**  (Read 4036 times)

kmanning

Just bought the new Charlotte international and ran the installation. From my understanding, it's supposed to detect my FSX location and install it there. When I ran the installation, it was installed in the Program 86 Folder instead of detecting my FSX location! I DID NOT want the files to be installed in the Programs 86 Folder! And on top of that, it moved my GSX and JFK files to the Programs 86 Folder! Why do they find it necessary to program the installation program to where it just automatically installs in the Programs 86 Folder? Does it not supposed to automatically detect the location of my FSX and install there? That's where the GSX and the JFK V1 files were installed in the first place and now, running this installation has moved those files to where I don't want them!! Now, I have to go back and uninstall every one of these and start all over again, and I'm pissed off about having to go through all of this trouble!! According to the manual, it says it supposed to detect my FSX and install it there! I don't use the Programs 86 Folder because there are TOO many issues that come up with using that folder! My FSX program is installed at C\FSX!

So, What I need to know is should it have detected my FSX folder? Where should the files be installed? Should they be installed in the Addon Scenery Folder? Can I choose the location of where I want ALL of these files installed and it NOT move them to the Programs 86 Folder?

Ken.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:04:32 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: The Charlotte Installation DID NOT Dectect my FSX Folder
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2017, 10:04:23 pm »
Just bought the new Charlotte international and ran the installation. From my understanding, it's supposed to detect my FSX location and install it there.

That's the problem: assuming the installer was supposed to detect the FSX installation and force you to install it there. Users has been asking for a long time the ability to install our products outside of the sim, in a location of their choice, and now that it finally happened, users get confused and assume there's problem...

If you want to change the installation folder now, you must uninstall and reinstall everything.

Also, it's VERY important that, during the last Uninstall (or not necessarily the last one, but you must do it at least once), you reply YES to the question "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" which is being made at the end of the Uninstall process.

Doing this, will clear up your previous choice, and allow to freely choose the installation folder again.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 10:07:33 pm by virtuali »

kmanning

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2017, 10:55:51 am »

Hi virtuali,
Due to the totally different way the new Charlotte Scenery installs, as compared to others, such as the GSX and the JFK, I was trying to debate rather to install the new KCLT scenery into the same folder as the GSX and JFK, which is C:\FSX\fsdreamteam, or install it in C:\ I'm sure you're aware that programs such as the GSX and the JFK automatically installs into the FSX under the folder name fsdreamteam. When installing the GSX and JFK, and maybe some others, it only allows you to pick the sim version. But with the new KCLT Scenery, it does not install in the same fashion and it installs to C:\Program Files (x86) Addon Manager. But it does allow for selecting a different folder by clicking Browse. I've mentioned previously that I did not want to install to the Program Files (x86) folder but rather install to the sim fsdreamteam, which is the same location as the GSX and JFK. I clicked Browse and directed it to C:\FSX\fsdreamteam, but what I've noticed was that it also has another folder named Addon Manager, so the destination folder would be C:\FSX\fsdreamteam\Addon Manager. What I was wondering is that will it be okay to leave out the Addon Manager folder or will that cause issues? Also, what's going to happen is that the GSX and the KJFK will automatically be moved over to the Addon Manager. If I remember correctly, the folder structure is C\Program Files (x886)\Addon Manager\fsdreamteam. I got to thinking that if I decide to install the KCLT to the same folder as the GSX and JFK, it will have 2 folders named fsdreamteam, because one is in the sim and the other is in the Addon Manager of the KCLT. If I do this, the folder structure will be C:\FSX\fsdreamteam\Addon Manager\fsdreamteam, which doesn't make much since to me. So, I'm thinking about installing the KCLT in C:\, so the structure will be C:\Addon Manager\fsdreamteam, which looks more organized. Will this installation work? Also, during the installation, the GSX and JFK will be moved over to this new destination. That was one of things I did not like about the new way of installation but I guess they all need to be in the same location. So, I assume that when it moves the programs, I should allow it to do so. So, will this installation destination work?

Ken.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2017, 11:11:11 am »
Due to the totally different way the new Charlotte Scenery installs, as compared to others, such as the GSX and the JFK

ALL our installers have been updated to install in exactly the same way now.

I'm sure you're aware that programs such as the GSX and the JFK automatically installs into the FSX under the folder name fsdreamteam. When installing the GSX and JFK, and maybe some others, it only allows you to pick the sim version.

Because you are using OLD installers! But that's not really an issue, since the new installer will move them.

I've mentioned previously that I did not want to install to the Program Files (x86) folder but rather install to the sim fsdreamteam, which is the same location as the GSX and JFK

You shouldn't have installed KCLT where GSX was. You should install KCLT anywhere you like, which can be any one folder on any drive, and then have the installer MOVE your old FSDT products installed in the old way, to the new folder, TOGETHER with KCLT.

Now that you are free to install everywhere, installing into the sim is probably the worse choice.

kmanning

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2017, 06:20:39 am »
ALL our installers have been updated to install in exactly the same way now.

Now that's interesting! Thanks for letting me know.

Because you are using OLD installers!

I don't understand why I'm using an old installer because I went and re-download the JFK version 1, and when I launched the program, it prompted me to choose my simulator version as it always has. It did not run in the same fashion as the new CLT. Did I do it correctly or am I supposed to run the update from the Addon Manager in the sim? By the way, there is one thing I should mention. The GSX and the JFK were ordered from a third party but it did referred us to the fsdreamteam website. Would this have anything to do with it? The GSX did install like the CLT. Here is the versions I have on JFK:

JFK version 1: 1.4.4

I installed this just a few days ago, and downloaded it from the FS Dream Team website.

Ken.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 06:40:02 am by kmanning »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2017, 03:16:00 pm »
I don't understand why I'm using an old installer because I went and re-download the JFK version 1

I should have said "All installers except JFK V1", which is a product that shouldn't even be used in FSX anymore, and we advise FSX user to buy V2, as you can see from our web page on JFK so, this installer won't be updated.