Author Topic: Frame rate problems (JFK/ORD)  (Read 5027 times)

UAL941

Frame rate problems (JFK/ORD)
« on: March 05, 2009, 11:02:58 pm »
Hey folks

first of all great job. Secondly I have some weird frame rate problems with ORD and JFK. That´s the issue, if I approach my gate at JFK or ORD my frames drop from 25 (locked at) down to 17. I do not have any problems with ZRH or other high quality sceneries e.g. AMS (Cloud 9) or FRA, LHR. It is just ORD and JFK which bothers me. If I´m off the gate, taxiing to to the acitive runway my frames go back up to 25 where they should be.

I think the area of the gate position gives me the headache. If I could, I would delete the additional textures within the gate area, like the cars etc.

I hope you can help  ???

Appreciated

Maik

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Frame rate problems (JFK/ORD)
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 11:11:00 pm »
It's normal to have fps going down when close to the gate, because there is way more detail that gets displayed only in proximity of a gate. Also, any AI you might have installed that are parked there, will display at they highest quality LODs.

And, especially with JFK, most of the scenery detail is concentrated on center of the airport while at Zurich, for example, the 3 terminals are more spread apart.

You might want to try unlocking the fps, sometimes it might just work better with very complex sceneries.

UAL941

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:45:37 pm »
Alright thanks for your quick reply.

Is there chance that you name the BMPs which are responsible for the gate area? Like the baggage trays, or the cars. Just all the stuff around the gate which appear when you get closer?

That would be awesome and would help me!

Thanks for your service! Great job

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2009, 01:26:11 am »
There are no BMP specifically responsible for a single vehicle or a single class of objects, the textures are packed and arranged by material type, which is of course the best possible way to save performance, because it's much faster to have few large textures than many smaller ones, especially if they are optimized according to material properties, which they already are.

Believe me, the scenery is already as optimized as it can be...

Also, it would't make any sense to try to "optimize" the texture yourself like, for example, by resizing them.

The "Global Max Texture Size" slider does exactly the same. Full slider to the right, and the maximum texture size allowed will be 1024x1024. One notch to the left it's 512x512 and so on. So, if you simply act on the slider, you'll have exactly the same effect than manually resizing the bitmaps, with the added convenience that the setting can be adjusted without even leaving flight sim.