Author Topic: My entire scenery.cfg is trashed. **SOLVED**  (Read 17767 times)

Wise87

My entire scenery.cfg is trashed. **SOLVED**
« on: May 31, 2017, 03:53:40 am »
After doing the install of KCLT I started up the sim and my entire scenery.cfg is erased. I now get Scenery.Cfg Error. Scenery Remote Directory invalid. Would you like to unload this area.

I'm pissed now.  >:( >:( >:(

I uninstalled it all and I'm done with it.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 11:16:46 pm by virtuali »

allybear21

Re: My entire scenery.cfg is trashed.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 04:12:33 am »
Same here, none of my stuff works.  This is the worst way to install products.  It seems whenever I install one of your products, it breaks my sim. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:57:36 am »
After doing the install of KCLT I started up the sim and my entire scenery.cfg is erased. I now get Scenery.Cfg Error. Scenery Remote Directory invalid. Would you like to unload this area.

What sim ? The new installer, under P3D V3 and P3D V4 DOES NOT touch the scenery.cfg anymore! That's the whole point of the new installation system, we DO NOT touch the scenery.cfg.

Under FSX, instead, the new installer is unchanged, so it uses the scenery.cfg exactly as it always did.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 04:59:00 am »
Same here, none of my stuff works.  This is the worst way to install products.  It seems whenever I install one of your products, it breaks my sim. 

You also haven't said which sim you use. As I've said, under P3D V3 and V4, the scenery.cfg is not changed by the installer. Sceneries just not go there anymore so, there's no reason to change it or touch it.

Wise87

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:04:45 am »
For some reason the installer added Remote= under all my scenery.cfg files. Once I cleared them out it loads fine. Not sure if it's conflicting with the Migration tool. I'm running P3D v3 with Migration tool disabled. I got KCLT to load now but now I have to go back and reload all my other scenery. I made a backup of my Scenery.cfg before the install and I don't have Remote= listed anywhere.

BEFORE KCLT

[General]
Title=Prepar3D Scenery
Description=Prepar3D Scenery Areas Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Texture_ID=1
Local=Scenery\World
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Local=Scenery\BASE
Layer=2
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE

[Area.003]
Title=0000 Base
Local=Scenery\0000
Layer=3
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE

AFTER KCLT

[General]
Title=Prepar3D Scenery
Description=Prepar3D Scenery Areas Data
Clean_on_Exit=TRUE

[Area.001]
Title=Default Terrain
Texture_ID=1
Layer=1
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Local=Scenery\World
Remote=

[Area.002]
Title=Default Scenery
Layer=2
Active=TRUE
Required=TRUE
Local=Scenery\BASE
Remote=

[Area.003]
Title=0000 Base
Layer=3
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Scenery\0000
Remote=
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:07:02 am by Wise87 »

Wise87

My entire scenery.cfg is trashed.
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 05:14:32 am »
What ever it was I'm re-downloading all the installer and it seems to be working now and it's putting the files a new ad on manager folder

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 05:14:39 am »
For some reason the installer added Remote= under all my scenery.cfg files.

Maybe I wasn't entirely clear: under P3D V3.3 and up and V4, the installer does not touch the scenery.cfg AT ALL! In addition to that, even in FSX or P3D pre-v3, the installer never added the "remote=" line.

I double-checked again the whole installer code, and there's nothing that even contains the word "remote" in the entire program code, just to be sure that I never forgot something in, and for some reason P3D was mistakenly detected as being FSX, or if you P3D version was lower than 3.3, which doesn't fully support the new addon installation system, so it's treated in the old way.

So, if you saw all these "remote=" lines which weren't there before, you can be sure it has nothing to do with our installer.

Instead, if you run ANY other utility which is not fully compatible with P3D V4, there's the concrete risk the scenery.cfg will be DESTROYED, because that file is now encoded as Unicode so, any 3rd party installer or utility which is not ready for it and doesn't take this into account, will surely cause issues to it.

Which is why, in order to stay away from the problem entirely, we decided to use the new, much reliable, add-on distribution system, where addons (including scenery), are NOT added in the scenery.cfg, but in their own add-ons.xml file, in their own private folders under Documents\Prepar3d folders.

With this method, installers will not have to touch the scenery.cfg anymore, which is exactly what our new installers do, from P3D 3.3 and above.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2017, 05:16:05 am »
What ever it was I'm re-downloading all the installer and it seems to be working now

That's because the KCLT installer was never the problem to begin with. Please read my explanation above, whatever issue you had, it was caused by something else.

Wise87

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:20 am »
Than it was a conflict with the migration tool which may of us use. Either way I'm moving forward with fresh downloads and install.

allybear21

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2017, 05:22:20 am »
I'm running FSX and everytime I load one of my FSDT airports or Flightbeam now, I get The addon unknown is causing the Coualti Script engine to restart.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled scenery, downloaded the stand alone manager and still get this error.  

couatl v3.2 (build 3823)
panic log started on Tue May 30 23:23:08 2017

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "couatl\common\__init__.py", line 137, in onSimStart
  File "couatl\common\collisions.py", line 54, in reloadGeometries
  File "couatl\common\aircraftData.py", line 1262, in getAircraftData
  File "couatl\common\aircraftData.py", line 694, in __init__
ValueError: need more than 21 values to unpack

precious62b

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2017, 06:19:57 am »
This installation crushed FSX for me too. I even did a system restore and it's still not fully fixed. Looks like I'll be trying to fix this all week. All of the buildings in other sceneries (fsdt and flightbeam) are now missing. Plus I cannot tweak anything in the addon manager in FSX. And again when I did the system restore I had the same problem where FSX couldn't locate certain sceneries. I couldn't even find them in Windows Explorer. Please help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2017, 06:30:38 am »
This installation crushed FSX for me too

No, it hasn't.

I even did a system restore and it's still not fully fixed. Looks like I'll be trying to fix this all week.

It will probably took 10 minutes for me with Teamviewer, pointing you out to the problem you already had, which might have tripped the installer. Most likely, your scenery.cfg was already corrupted, because having edited it by hand.

Plus I cannot tweak anything in the addon manager in FSX

You call this a problem ? Users have been asked for years the Addon Manager should NOT change the FSX.CFG without their knowledge (it didn't, you had to Save first), so we know added an additional security, for users that are too quick to press the Save button: each tweak must be first ENABLED, so it will be active, and saved, when you press Save, of course...

And again when I did the system restore I had the same problem where FSX couldn't locate certain sceneries. I couldn't even find them in Windows Explorer. Please

I'm not sure what do you mean with "certain sceneries" but, if you mean what it seems, so they are not just the FSDT sceneries, it seems to be a confirmation your scenery.cfg already had problems to begin with, that you were supposed to fix before installing anything new.

If contact me in private, we can have a Teamviewer session, so I can point you out to the problem very easily.

dickxxx

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 07:30:58 am »
Dear Umberto,
Thank you for the explanation ( if I understand correctly) that now your products ( and flightbeam's) will not show up in the scenery config file anymore. That is actually what I see after having installed KCLT. All entries are now gone. I had all my sceneries sorted by continent in my scenery.cfg file and I use Simstarter to only activate the scenery that I actually fly to and from. This to save vas as some good folks advised. Your sceneries do show in the in-sim-scenery  library function in my P3d 3.4. They are now all activated and all on top. But they do not show anymore in Simstarter. Furthermore I only see buildings in KCLT. None of  your other airports ( or flightbeam's) show buildings anymore. Also GSX does not work anymore.
The fact that I cannot use Simstarter anymore to deselect scenery that I am not flying to is a showstopper for me.
Fortunately I have I have a recent backup of my flightsim and I will rollback but apart from advantages that you list in your earlier message I do also see some unwanted side effects.
b rdgs/ Dick

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 07:51:26 am »
I had all my sceneries sorted by continent in my scenery.cfg file and I use Simstarter to only activate the scenery that I actually fly to and from. This to save vas as some good folks advised

The advice of keep changing the scenery.cfg might be useful with most sceneries, but it's totally useless with the FSDT/Flightbeam sceneries, since we do a custom memory management, so everything related to the scenery is discarded from memory as soon as you are outside the scenery loading range, which is about 15NM out.

By enabling/disabling our sceneries before a flight, you are just wasting effort.

Your sceneries do show in the in-sim-scenery  library function in my P3d 3.4. They are now all activated and all on top. But they do not show anymore in Simstarter.

That's simply because that program hasn't been updated to support what is now the official and suggested way to install any addon in Prepar3D 3 and above. It has been introduced by LM with P3D 3, and was finalized in 3.3 so, any addon developer, and especially some that do utilities that handle precisely the scenery library, had plenty of time to adapt it to support it.

Just an example, SODE didn't support this system until few weeks ago, so we asked to Jeffrey Stahli to add it, and since he immediately recognized the obvious advantages, he added to it.

Furthermore I only see buildings in KCLT. None of  your other airports ( or flightbeam's) show buildings anymore. Also GSX does not work anymore.

It's possible your scenery.cfg already had a problem, so the migration didn't go well. Install using the latest full installers might fix it.

ocjr

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2017, 07:57:27 am »
I posted about some issues, I am having with this install in a new thread because I thought they were different, but after having looked closer at my scenery.cfg file, there are some issues there.

While most of the scenery.cfg file is fine, all of the FSDT entries have been removed and the file is showing updated this evening and the only sim change that has been made this evening is installing KCLT, GSX, and KLAS.

Is it possible that one of those installers has caused this issue?