Author Topic: GSX reduces my screen resolution  (Read 2935 times)

calopez78

GSX reduces my screen resolution
« on: May 17, 2017, 02:51:39 pm »
Hi,  I did some search in this forum and wasn't able to find this, excuse me if it has been answered before.

I use FSX steam in 3040x2160 resolution in a big 4k tv and a sit nearby. I can say I can tell the difference in terms of image quality.

And it slightly deteriorated after installing GSX. I can't read traffic liveries as far as I could before and there is more blur in the long distance. The display settings on fsx are exactly the same.

I know it is GSX because the only way of getting this solved so far has been uninstalling it. Ás soon as I reinstall (even if I don't use it), the problem comes back

I'm gessing GSX is changing some parameter in a cfg file, was wondering if you could point me out where.

Thanks

Carlos López
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 03:10:04 pm by calopez78 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX reduces my screen resolution
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »
I know it is GSX because the only way of getting this solved so far has been uninstalling it. Ás soon as I reinstall (even if I don't use it), the problem comes back

It's not GSX, because neither the installer nor the uninstaller change anything in the FSX.CFG file that might affect image quality or resolution.

And it slightly deteriorated after installing GSX. I can't read traffic liveries as far as I could before and there is more blur in the long distance. The display settings on fsx are exactly the same.

This seems to indicate you changed any of these:

- The Max Texture size in FSX. This is NOT changed by GSX.

- The Anisotropic filter setting in FSX. This is NOT changed by GSX

- The usage of Anisotropic filtering on your Video card control panel. This, of course, is NOT changed by GSX.

I'm gessing GSX is changing some parameter in a cfg file, was wondering if you could point me out where.

The only parameter the GSX installer changes in the FSX.CFG, is the "Advanced Animations" flag, setting it to 1 if it was mistakenly set to 0, but this cannot have any effect on the image quality or resolution.

There are parameters you can tweak in the Addon Manager page, but these are NOT saved, unless YOU press the "Save to FSX" button so, again, nothing that can affect image quality is changed automatically, unless you explicitly do it, by pressing the "Save"

calopez78

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2017, 03:52:37 am »
Accidentally today, I set fsx to full screen and back to windowed mode and that silly thing solved the issue.

I know it started after installing gsx and was corrected when uninstalling it, but don't know how all this happens and that simple solution makes me wonder how it's  related to gsx.

Anyway, just to let you know.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2017, 11:07:28 am »
I know it started after installing gsx and was corrected when uninstalling it

No, you might have only noticed it after installing GSX, but it cannot possibly CAUSED by it and, even more, it cannot be possibly fixed by Uninstalling it because, opposite to the installer which, as I've said, ONLY ensures the "Advanced Animations" flag to be enabled (which doesn't affect resolution, of course), the Uninstall doesn't do any of that, and doesn't touch the FSX.CFG in any way.

The only possible explanation is that your FSX.CFG was already corrupted, in the section related to the video card resolution, and switching between full screen and windowed mode, triggered the sim to rewrite the section with the correct values but, again, this cannot possibly have any relationship to GSX.

NNunumete

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2019, 07:04:09 am »
But when GSX doesn't do anything in the CFG why does uninstalling GSX and all FSDreamteam software fix the issue for me then?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2019, 11:19:18 am »
But when GSX doesn't do anything in the CFG why does uninstalling GSX and all FSDreamteam software fix the issue for me then?

Because the bglmanx.dll and couatl.exe entries in the [Trusted] section will be removed while reinstalling, in case you mistakenly decided to not trust the files, so they'll be back to default. But, of course, this cannot possibly have any effect on the screen resolution, which are located in another section of the file.