Author Topic: P3D 4.1 MDL files for KMEM  (Read 5061 times)

ahuimanu

P3D 4.1 MDL files for KMEM
« on: October 21, 2017, 11:52:34 pm »
I posted in a previous thread about a consistent crash I get when approaching KMEM.  Since I was encourage by virtuali to look into AI, I did just that.  I came across a post at AVSIM which discusses how to determine which compiler a model was compiled with as it would seem that FS9 and earlier models won't work well with P3D V4.1.

Some tools are discussed in that post and one is from LorbySi and it is called ThumbnailExporterX.  It scans the MDL files to determine many things about SimObjects.  My objective here was to determine if I had any FS9 or earlier objects.

While most of FSDreamTeam's model files are compiled with the FSX SDK or the P3D SDK, I noticed two peculiar things about KMEM's files:

• The FSDT_KMEM is the only folder in Addon Manager\misc that has some seperate folders for P3D
  • The models in this folder are not marked as being compiled with either the FSX or P3D SDKs

Rather, the model type is reported as: "l?"

The mix of SDKs doesn't seem to be an issue, but the non-standard type being reported could be.

The utility reports models as such:

MDLX = "FSX"
PV20 = "P3D"

This is consistent throughout the rest of the models installed.

Since P3D v4.x is sensitive to this, could this be a clue as to why I crash everytime I descend into KMEM?

Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: P3D 4.1 MDL files for KMEM
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 01:10:25 am »
Since P3D v4.x is sensitive to this, could this be a clue as to why I crash everytime I descend into KMEM?

You can be sure the problem of crashing during the approach is NOT caused by the objects or the scenery but, instead, are more likely caused by an AI that appears only there, so you are mislead thinking the scenery has anything to do with it, but just because (due to schedule and parking assignment), they only appear there, if the scenery is installed.

And yes, even if you uninstall the scenery and the crashes will be gone, that won't still be an indication the scenery is the problem. It can still be an AI because, due to different parking number and airline codes, if you revert to the default scenery for KMEM, you'll get different AIs.

In addition to that, KMEM is FAR less prone to any problems in P3D V4, because we do a LOT less of the strange things we do in FSX, in order to keep up fps, and we use proper native P3D objects using the P3D SDK, for all the airport background.

You are being mislead into thinking the KMEM objects might have compatibility issues, but that's just because some of them are encrypted, so it's impossible to open them with any utility, but I assure you the ones in the P3D folder are all proper P3D models, and KCLT and KSDF also have a set of P3D-native objects.

You should really check all your AI better, because they are the most likely cause of your crashes. KMEM is rock solid under P3D V4.

ahuimanu

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2017, 04:49:42 pm »
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.  I have removed any and all 3rd party AI.  Thus, for at least this customer, KMEM may not be rock solid under P3D v4.1.

Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 06:07:47 pm »
Thus, for at least this customer, KMEM may not be rock solid under P3D v4.1.

No, it only means the crash is caused by something else in the KMEM area which is not an AI.  For example, a mesh, a vector addon, etc.

Nobody else reported such crash in P3D 4, we had some issues with FSX, but they simply cannot happen in P3D, because the handling of the objects is totally different and the objects themselves are in several cases different, and P3D native.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2017, 06:09:20 pm by virtuali »

ahuimanu

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 12:21:14 pm »
I've since undergone several reinstalls and find that maybe Vector is the culprit.  I can't be sure, but it does seem that my focus on KMEM from FSDT may indeed have been a false determination of causality.  Thank you for working with me as I looked for the problem.