Author Topic: ATC assigning wrong runways in certain wind conditions  (Read 5460 times)

Driver8

ATC assigning wrong runways in certain wind conditions
« on: May 02, 2017, 01:24:10 am »
I seem to be having a rather repeatable problem with the runways being assigned by FSX under certain wind conditions, mainly seems to be when the winds would be most in line for the 22L/R runways.  Today is a good example.  The winds this afternoon were 204 @ 14 gusting to 22 (17:34 GMT, 1 May 2017, if anyone wants to fire up some historical info and see if they get this too).  However, FSX was setting the active runways to 4L/R, 9L/R and 10, and 14L/R.  Needless to say, the crosswind on 14L/R was the only viable option.

This is not the first time I've had this situation occur here unfortunately.  It doesn't happen all the time, but usually when there is some inclement weather and the winds seem to favor the 22 runways the most, I can almost guarantee this will happen.  Also, the weather updated a couple times while I was on the ground, and the winds continued to be around 210 - 220 degrees, but the incorrect runway assignment continued.

Any chance at some point this could be looked at would be great!  I don't mind some extra challenges but there are just some times where I don't really feel like dealing with strong crosswinds when other runways exist but get assigned the tailwind direction instead :)

----------- BUZZ

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: ATC assigning wrong runways in certain wind conditions
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 08:31:57 am »
Wind it's just one of the several parameters that contribute (with some weight) to the runway selection by the ATC, but it might not be enough, if the difference between the desired runway and the longest runway at the airport is significant.

See this explanation on the formula on fsdeveloper forum:

http://www.fsdeveloper.com/forum/threads/runway-selection-in-fsx.8001/#post-52291

However, you should read the whole post, because it gets more interesting, depending on airplane type and other variables. And if you use 3rd party weather program, there might be some disagreement between what you see reported and the runway selected by FSX, see this thread on Captain sim forum:

http://www.captainsim.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1327204543

Driver8

Re: ATC assigning wrong runways in certain wind conditions
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 10:38:12 pm »
Thanks for the information, clears up most of what's going on :)

The only thing i'm still not clear on is what FSX "criteria" is for selecting which runway is the "Base" of the group.  Seems that one of the 14/32 runways ended up as the "base" of the 14L/R, 9L/R/10, and 4L/R group, which explains what i'm seeing.  Darn shame it didn't decide to use 10 or one of the 9's, would have reduced the impact of this (since 3 runways would always be correct).  Oh well, that's FSX doing it's thing I guess :D