Author Topic: JFK night time trouble  (Read 20411 times)

TRIGGER2010

JFK night time trouble
« on: February 09, 2009, 02:43:33 pm »
hi
i am having trouble with the jfk airport at the night time
when i fly into the airport and then taxi into the stand the stand is very dark and the  building
you can see the the taxi lights but you cant see the line which go on the stand when you go to park up
just wondering if there a update or something to fix this
as you cant fly into to the airport in the night time as you cant see what you doing
thanks
martin
 :(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2009, 02:45:06 pm by TRIGGER2010 »

martinlest

Re: JFK night time trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 10:35:02 am »
I have just bought KJFK and have the same trouble. No one answered the post back in 2009, but can somebody perhaps advise? It's really hard to see my way around the airport at night.. Is this the way KJFK looks to everybody at night time?

Thanks,

Martin (not same one as OP!)

« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 10:36:52 am by martinlest »

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2013, 02:45:34 am »
To the first Martin, normally, when you're taxiing into the ramp, you don't want to have the taxi light on. This is so you don't blind the ground crew.

Second Martin, looks like your landing lights are on in that shot, so not sure if that would change anything.
Captain Kevin

martinlest

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2013, 10:35:37 am »
Well, without those lights I am taxiing blind

Captain Kevin

• Beta tester
  • Captain Kevin
    • Captain Kevin
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 02:59:44 am »
Well, without those lights I am taxiing blind
You'd normally use your taxi lights for taxiing around. The landing lights are even brighter than the taxi lights, I believe.
Captain Kevin

martinlest

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2013, 03:49:32 pm »
The problem is not with the aircraft lights - I can see fine at night at other 3rd. party airports. I was asking about this specific airport.

I see FSDT didn't answer the original poster and they haven't replied to me either. With support like that I shan't be buying any more of their products, that's for sure! (I posted a question about textures in the Cloud9 KLAX too: FSDT response was that I should have bought the more expensive FSDT version! Talk about how to **** customers off!!!).

M.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:58:50 pm by martinlest »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2013, 04:38:28 pm »
(I posted a question about textures in the Cloud9 KLAX too: FSDT response was that I should have bought the more expensive FSDT version!

Facts are:

- There are TWO similar products being offers on sale. One was published in 2005, another one in 2011

- One is cheaper, the other is of better quality. You wouldn't guessed it, considering is BOTH more expensive and released 6 years after.

- BOTH are offered in TRIAL VERSION

- You are complaining that the older and cheaper version is not of the same quality of the 6 years more recent and expensive version, and are demanding an upgrade or sort ?

I'm trying to understand what's wrong with keeping the two versions available for sale, with different prices, and let USERS CHOOSE, since they are BOTH freely available in Trial version. Hint: the Cloud9 version is also lower in system requirements, which is an even more sensible reason to keep them both available for purchase.

Talk about how to **** customers off!!!

Talk about customers pretending the moon, instead...

About JFK, the FS9 version is 5 years old, we don't support FS9 anymore so yes, there IS a better, newer and (guess) more expensive, which is JFK V2 but, unfortunately, it's for FSX/P3D only.

With a difference: since JFK (compared to Cloud9 KLAX, which is NOT, we just licensed from Cloud9 their old products catalogue) IS an FSDT product, you CAN upgrade to JFK V2 with significant discount.

But not for FS9, because we don't support it anymore since 2 years (KLAX for FS9 was our last product for FS9) so, you should really USE the nice Trial option before purchasing anything for FS9, because those products won't be upgraded anymore, but we offer an easy upgrade path to FSX or P3D: ALL your FS9 purchases can be used under FSX without paying anything, the only exception is the paid upgrade to JFK 2 but, since JFK V1 has been lowered in price now, adding the upgrade price to a JFK V1 order is basically the same as if you purchased JFK V2 right from the start so, no damage is done, even if you realize that JFK V1 wasn't good enough, you can fix it with no monetary damage.

But, of course, everything turns around the fact you use FS9, which is the main problem, you just can't expect we'd support it forever and the end of the line arrived with KLAX, and we clearly explained this 2 years ago so, no reason to repeat it again now.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 04:46:44 pm by virtuali »

martinlest

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2013, 05:01:17 pm »
Other companies may have a limit on email support but they mostly bother to reply to problems with their scenery on their forums. FSDT didn't even reply to the original poster, some years back. That's no way to treat people whose money you'd like in the future. How loong would it have taken to write a few lines to someone who has just spent their money on your products??

Further, your tone of reply is insulting, and untrue. I was 'demanding' nothing (why do you say so??), I posted a polite request for comments. Neither did I say one version of KLAX was inferior to the other - I have only ever seen one version. I have already bought three higher priced FSDT products (two recently with 30% discount), so thought I would slightly economise on KLAX, as I don't fly there often. As you note, I fly FS9 (and in fact FSX for VFR/Photo scenery only), so I bought what was appropriate to that. No point my getting KJFK v2 as I'd never use it in FSX.

There's nothing 'wrong' with you keeping both versions available at all! Again, I didn't say there was. What annoyed me was that you didn't address the post back in 2009 and clearly FSDT wasn't going to comment to my post in the same thread 4 years after, either. And of course, rather than give me any advice at all about the Cloud9 KLAX I had bought, I was simply told I ought to have bought the more expensive version. Maybe if you put yourself in your customers' place...

In any case, it is at the FSDT version of KJFK that the scenery is so dark, so why would I imagine that the FSDT KLAX would be any better than the Cloud9 version. I have literally several hundred pounds worth of addon airports from software companies across the board (Aerosoft, FlyTampa etc. etc.) so can say that the FSDT KJFK is a rare case of scenery so dark thatr I can't taxi at night there. OK, so I won't fly there at night, no big deal - as I said, the scenery in itself is great. But don't expect to impress (and retain) customers by ignoring them and then quoting them back with things they didn't say - as if I were rude, demanding or aggressive. Totally NOT me and NOT the case here.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 05:22:31 pm by martinlest »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2013, 06:01:56 pm »
Other companies may have a limit on email support but they mostly bother to reply to problems with their scenery on their forums.

We always do, as everybody here can obviously testify.

FSDT didn't even reply to the original poster, some years back. That's no way to treat people whose money you'd like in the future.

Forum posts MIGHT be missed, it happens sometimes. You are wrong making this as an "example" of a non-supporting attitude. Have you had a look at my forum POST COUNT ? Each post is an user that got replied to.

Neither did I say one version of KLAX was inferior to the other

I said it, and it's true. And it's to be *expected*, and both can be tested BEFORE purchasing.

so thought I would slightly economise on KLAX, as I don't fly there often

I never said you made a mistake purchasing the cheaper version. I said you are wrong expecting it would match the quality of the more expensive/newer one.

What annoyed me was that you didn't address the post back in 2009

As I've said, that was just a missed post you piggybacked onto now.

and clearly FSDT wasn't going to comment to my post in the same thread 4 years after, either.

That's was just an assumption. You have been replied to, in the KLAX thread. My fault for having assumed that you would understand the issue is the same and that reply would have been enough for both threads.

And of course, rather than give me any advice at all about the Cloud9 KLAX I had bought, I was simply told I ought to have bought the more expensive version. Maybe if you put yourself in your customers' place...

What other advice I could give you, other than saying that you have the option to test both products and decide what to purchase ?

Yes, I can easily put in a customer's place and, I wouldn't dream of going on, let's say, the EA support forum, telling I've just purchased FIFA 2005 because I found it to be cheaper, and asking why it doesn't look as good as the 2011 version, or what I can do to fix it. That's would be considered an unreasonable demand on every gaming forum out there.

In any case, it is at the FSDT version of KJFK that the scenery is so dark, so why would I imagine that the FSDT KLAX would be any better than the Cloud9 version.

You don't have to imagine anything. All our products (both Cloud9 and FSDT) are available in Trial. Just use that option, install them and purchase only if you are fully convinced. In fact, the price difference should be a reason suggesting to try both versions, for a more informed purchasing decision.

so can say that the FSDT KJFK is a rare case of scenery so dark thatr I can't taxi at night there.

Those TWO users (you and the one from 2009) are in fact two very rare cases of someone reporting this problem so, it doesn't appear is has been a problem for many, along those long years the scenery has been on sale.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:08:34 pm by virtuali »

martinlest

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2013, 06:20:09 pm »
OK, forget the whole thing then. I am not going to squabble over it with you here. What I say stands, nonetheless. I feel a bit annoyed (no more than that) about the lack of understanding/constructive support (I didn't moan or complain, just asked for some help) in comparison to what I have received from other developers over the past 12 years of FS, and nothing you have said makes me feel any better - you just continue to argue your corner.

So maybe you should just lock this thread; I shan't add anything else to it anyway.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:21:44 pm by martinlest »

Hnla

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2013, 06:32:40 pm »
and nothing you have said makes me feel any better - you just continue to argue your corner.

So maybe you should just lock this thread; I shan't add anything else to it anyway.

Virtuali isn't your mother, and he's not a therapist, I suggest you try to read what he's saying again before you post again.

« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 06:38:15 pm by Hnla »

martinlest

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2013, 08:50:51 pm »
Virtuali isn't your mother, and he's not a therapist,

..what an idiotic, childish reply! ...  Yawn.

I said that FSDT made no answer to the original poster's perfectly polite question in 2009, (he was asking exactly what I was asking), and no answer to my question about KJFK either. Virtuali said he answered me in another thread, but that was totally irrelevant to KJFK, as I have the FSDT version and there is no Cloud9 JFK. Even there, telling me my problems were because I didn't buy the more expensive KLAX, without anty elaboration or attempt to discuss the issue with me didn't amount to what I would call customer support.

I repeat: I don't think much of the customer service here, compared to experience on many other developers' forums - several email me with suggested answers too - especially given I've bought five different airports from the site here. That's my considered opinion, 'IMHO' if you want, and, as my opinion, it's not really open for debate, is it? If you've had great customer service, well, lucky you. Maybe I have been just unlucky, but customers who have paid up with good money don't appreciate simply being ignored when there's a problem.

Suggested answer to my original query: "Hi Martin, Sorry you find the scenery dark at night, but it was created several years ago now and certainly won't be updated. Not many other people have raised the issue either... Best you remember to 'try before you buy' in the future.,
You could certainly try editing the bitmaps with Photoshop, but it would be a long task and the results probably unsatisfactory. I suggest you fly during daylight hours! Thanks."

To which, being a nice, reasonable, friendly guy (whatever you might infer) I would have said 'fair enough, thanks anyway'.
Not that hard, is it?? I would certainly have considered buying from FSDT again. Now I won't. Well maybe they are doing well enough financially for that not to bother them in the slightest, but it's hardly sound business practice I'd have thought.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 09:15:21 pm by martinlest »

Hnla

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2013, 09:39:20 pm »
Oh you'll be back. Once FSDT releases another beautiful scenery you'll be the first to buy it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2013, 10:23:08 pm »
Virtuali said he answered me in another thread, but that was totally irrelevant to KJFK, as I have the FSDT version and there is no Cloud9 JFK.

It was entirely relevant instead.

The situation is identical: there are two versions of JFK on sale too, the first one was also 5 years older, and is cheaper, and fact that they are both FSDT, it's only going to customers advantage, because with JFK you CAN upgrade to the better version, while with KLAX you can't.

Fact that YOU don't use FSX or P3D, instead, is what is totally irrelevant in the context of my explanation of the difference in quality between the two, which applies to JFK and KLAX just the same.

And, it's not that we don't honestly present JFK V1 for what it is: a product which should be considered obsolete by now, just like the sim it still runs on ( FS9 ).

From the JFK V1 Info page:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_jfk.html

IMPORTANT

This product was released in 2008, and has been replaced by the new V2 Version

Suggested answer to my original query: "Hi Martin, Sorry you find the scenery dark at night, but it was created several years ago now and certainly won't be updated. Not many other people have raised the issue either... Best you remember to 'try before you buy' in the future.,
You could certainly try editing the bitmaps with Photoshop, but it would be a long task and the results probably unsatisfactory. I suggest you fly during daylight hours!

The substance of my reply in the KLAX question, which you didn't want to accept, wasn't really much different, just shorter:

That's the Cloud9 KLAX, right ? Below is the FSDT version, there is a reason one it's 25$ (it was released in 2005), the other is 38$, released in 2011. Of course, both are available in Trial version.

And it was supported with a screenshot that I've took for you, which surely took more time than writing an identical reply on the JFK thread (I assume you WOULD understand the situation is the same...)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 10:33:28 pm by virtuali »

martinlest

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2013, 11:25:30 pm »
OK, let's leave this. I like to think that I am a reasonable guy and I certainly hate arguing like this on public forums.

OK, I was annoyed that I didn't get a reply to this (I still don't see that KLAX was analogous, but no matter) given that the original poster was ignored too, but I dare say support for FSDT products is doubtless a whole lot better most of the time than I am giving it credit for, being based on one incident over the past week: if I generalised about poor support here when in fact most people get good support, then I apologise; but as I said, I felt (and feel) that a bit more effort could have been made by FSDT to address the issue I had posted about after I had forked out quite a bit of cash on their products.

Yes, Hnla, if FSDT issue an airport I feel is a 'must-have' at some stage, I probably would come back and buy it, you are right! In the end the issue of support issue is important, but not the 'be-all and end-all'.

So I hope we can move on.. I certainly didn't want to cause a 'scene' and Virtuali has certainly done his best now to reply to my concerns!

Oh, BTW, I do NOT agree that FS9 is obsolete now Virtuali! Many people still fly it in preference to FSX (even though, like me, they have both) and a good deal of great scenery is still being made for it, freeware and payware.

M.   :)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2013, 11:34:11 pm by martinlest »