Author Topic: P3d Issues with the FA-18C_FSXBA2016 16.1  (Read 15289 times)

jring2

P3d Issues with the FA-18C_FSXBA2016 16.1
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:05:51 am »
HI. I got the absolutely beautiful FA-18C which I love and works like a charm in FSX. In my P3d, however, it develops a tail wag at around 170. The tail wag can actually occur anywhere between 170 and 300 depending on conditions which I'm not able to isolate. Above 170 I can stop it with a slight rudder adjust. At 170 and below nothing stops it except disconnecting the FCS by hitting the autopilot switch. (z) So far I have tried a number of things. I tried the P3d Install in my FSX by pointing my FSX aircraft pull by changing the Airplane destination in the FSX.cfg file to point to the P3d aircraft. The P3d Airplane worked perfectly in FSX so I am guessing it isn't in the aircraft files. I tried a few tweaks in the aircraft.cfg slide slip setting on the suggestion of some senior FlightSim forum members. It caused an FCS fail warning. I also installed the aircraft into the P3d hard drive with the FSX standalone box checked on the executable. (It has its own solid state hard drive as does the FSX sim) . Still no joy. I cleaned everything up, deleting all folders and reinstalled each into its proper hard drive. Though I can fly and carrier land the sludge with no issues in the P3d I can't get this one to work so I doubted it was my controllers. However, I recalibrated my joystick. No joy. I switched joysticks from the Microsoft Sidewinder precision pro to Thrustmaster's Hotta and back with no distinguishable difference in its performance. I am hoping this has popped up before, though I wasn't able to ask the right search to bring it up. My P3d happens to be the smoothest Flight Sim for me and my system so I really would rather have your aircraft in P3d.

Great job on this aircraft by the way. It's a dream in FSX.

Any ideas on the issue I'm having? Remembered one more I didn't mention. It has exaggerated reaction to its ailerons at lower speeds. Rolls too greatly for controller input. Once again the sludge is my comparison.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 09:25:58 am by jring2 »
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig
OS=Windows 10 64 bit, FSX w/Acceleration & P3d v3.4, REXII, Genesis mesh

PhantomTweak

Re: P3d Issues with the FA-18C_FSXBA2016 16.1
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 09:42:29 pm »
...disconnecting the FCS by hitting the autopilot switch. (z)
Just so you know, that doesn't disconnect the FCS. It just lets the AP take control. To disconnect/reset the FCS, the quickest way is to lift the red guard over the SPIN RECOVERY switch, turn it on then back off again.
Just a note.
I am still at a loss about your P3D problem. I am sure some one smarter than I by far will chime in soon with the obvious answer we are missing.
Pat☺

jring2

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 10:29:10 pm »
...disconnecting the FCS by hitting the autopilot switch. (z)
Just so you know, that doesn't disconnect the FCS. It just lets the AP take control. To disconnect/reset the FCS, the quickest way is to lift the red guard over the SPIN RECOVERY switch, turn it on then back off again.
Just a note.
I am still at a loss about your P3D problem. I am sure some one smarter than I by far will chime in soon with the obvious answer we are missing.
Pat☺
Thanks again Pat. You'll be able to claim me as a dependant before too long.😊
AMD 8350 Eight Core 4.0ghz, 16 gig 1200 DDR3 64 bit ram, Microsoft Sidewinder Precision II. GeForce GTX 970 w/4gig

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 11:46:32 pm »
Jring2,

Thanks for the good words, I'll be sure to pass them along to all of those that have helped and contributed on the project.

Now for the "meat and potatoes" of the discussion....  Two things come to mind:  1.  Not sure which version you have of the 16.1 (there are many...), but the Rolling Surface to Rudder Interconnect (RSRI), might still be enabled on your jet, or 2.  The rudder PID needs to be adjusted.

RSRI TESTING
Easy way to test this:
-Get in FSX and load the jet.
-Press Shift + 8 to bring up the Data Gauge (if nothing shows up, grab a test or prototype jet)
-Get in the air, slow down to the problem airspeed and look for the RUDDER TRIM entry on the Data Gauge.  If you notice that rudder trim is moving every time you apply lateral stick (ailerons), then I'm thinking the RSRI is to blame.  I've since disabled it in later versions of the aircraft.
-So...if the RSRI is active, you have two options: 
1.  You can open the aircraft.cfg and change the value listed next to the "rudder_trim_effectiveness" entry.  For starters, I'd recommend changing the entry listed to "0", thereby rendering any controlling authority that the rudder trim had on the aircraft to zero.  If this does fix your issue, I'd recommend putting the original value back in for "rudder_trim_effectiveness" and proceed to 2.  That way you can still utilize rudder trim later should you need it.
2.  Other option is to disable the RSRI gauge by going to the primary aircraft Panel file, open the panel.cfg, and edit out the RSRI by adding two slashed out in front (//) of the entry.  Save and reload the sim and reload the aircraft.
-If that was the culprit, then it should fix your issue.

PID TESTING
The other problem, might lie within the Rudder Proportional Integral Derivative device or "PID" for short.
To test this, do the following:
-Go to the aircraft.cfg file and luck for the "FCS" section.
-Find the "sideslip" entry and trying lowering the first value significantly.  Save and reload the sim/aircraft and give it a go.
-Once the ill effects to subsided, gradually increase the first value until you get accurate turn coordination with the rudder, without the wagging.

Hope this helps.

Have a question for you.  Are you running the latest version of P3D?  Are all of the avionics functioning for your jet?  Although my screens show up, they are not functioning.  The compass rose doesn't rotate; all of the engine data parameters are readying 0.  Are you getting the same indications?  Thanks.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jring2

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2017, 07:50:33 am »
The P3d version is 3.4.22.19868
The FA-18 I am not sure how to determine. The executable install is dated 2/8/2016

I tried all the suggestions. None corrected the tail wag. The shift 8 was revealing but I am not sure how to analyze the data I have taken two snaps - one from FSX and the other from P3d at similar speeds and position. Perhaps they will tell you something. The yaw input and rudder position would fluctuate max to max with the joystick at null position. The yaw input ranged from 99.99 to -99.99 and of course the rudder position followed from 25 degrees to - 25 degrees. In this run, I had FSX using its own aircraft, but even switching it to use the P3d install it flew no difference using the P3d install so it would seem it has to do with perhaps something in the gauges or the effects folder. Or something with how P3d relates to the FCS. I am pretty stuck. The FCS!RSRI gauge 23 was present in the FCS section but commenting it out had no impact on the tail wag. Here are the pictures. Let me know if you have any other diagnostics I could do and get more info for you.

Thanks for your help!

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2017, 09:15:58 am »
Hmm interesting...I'll give the same recommendation as Raging blue...

Please download, install and fly the jet provided at the link below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3So3WwTLPRZZXVhWVJoQXJkdWs

This is one of the later prototypes that I've been working on (ver. 17.1.6) and shouldn't give you the same issues that you've mentioned before.  Since it's a separate jet, you shouldn't have to uninstall any other previous versions of the jet.  There is only one jet (VFA-147 Argonauts/Training) included in the file to keep the file size down.  Thanks and good luck.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

jring2

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 12:33:14 am »
That one works!!! Thanks!
In my system, the exhaust special effects aren't as stellar as the FSX but that may be a setting. In any case, the flight model seems very much the same as the FSX.

What parts can I requisition and use on the old install? Here's the info on where and what I had installed. (see images) I grabbed the executable link in the signature. of the forum entry.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 12:34:46 am by jring2 »

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 06:17:25 am »
What parts can I requisition and use on the old install? Here's the info on where and what I had installed. (see images) I grabbed the executable link in the signature. of the forum entry.

Not going to be easy to simply port over to what you already have due to the changes in file names, aliases, and folder hierarchy.  Not to mentioned all of the changes to the aircraft.cfg.  I'll try to get something out soon.

-Jimi

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

PhantomTweak

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 07:14:52 am »
Let me see if I understand what you want, here.
You want to mix and match the v15.6 with the v16.1? That wouldn't be easy at all.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
The v16.1 is in the first picture you put up. All the links in Jimi's post on your second picture are the v15.6. If those two are what you want to mix up, that's going to be difficult. Not impossible, I believe, but not easy. Or did you want to mix up the v16.1 and the v17.1.6? I'm just trying to be certain I understand your question, is all :)
If that's what you want to do, may I ask why? None of my bee's wax, really, just nosey.
The v17,1,6 works for you, which is great. I realize it's just one loadout and one paint, so far, but that will change soon. Patience is a virtue, after all :)
I know, I'm a pest. Sorry for that...
Pat☺

jring2

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 03:23:07 pm »
Hey Pat;

You missed the one the executable link below his signature which happened to be the 16.1. At least I think this is the link that I used and then found, somewhere there the 16.1, In any case, the executable startup announce I attached is the one I had. The others were this 7zp thing which I couldn't use. I ALWAYS read the fine print. :)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 03:50:24 pm by jring2 »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 08:25:38 pm »
Ok. I think I'm hip to the jive, now :)
I kinda thought that was where you got the v16.1 . That's the addy I give to people interested in the FSX BA Hornet. It's the latest "official" release.
As to 7zip: May I ask why you can't use it? It's a great program, and free. Just DL, install, and tell it what files you want it to unzip. I use it extensively. It opens all kinds of zip files, cab files, rar, cbr, you name it. Even if you don't want to use it as your primary zip-file operator, I suggest installing it. If for no other reason than to work with 7zip compressed files.
By the way, I've noticed, when I use it to zip up files for back ups or whatever, it seems to have a better compression algorithm than most. Small zip files save space :D A little faster when zipping up large numbers of files, too. I've used it to zip up "virgin" copies of FS9 and FSX, so...

So, if I understand what you're wanting it's to combine v16.1 and v17.1.6? THAT would be a lot easier than other choices.
I'm very glad the v17.1.6 works correctly in P3D for you. I told you we'd get you going :)
Pat☺

Butch

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2017, 11:07:21 pm »
I too use P3d V3.4, I d/l file from link, No installer so can all these folders go as is in the P3D Airplanes folder; if not what goes were in P3d?
Could use instruction manual as to how to turn on the three screens in the cockpit below the hud. Not all knobs function, for instance, I cannot use the on/off knob
to turn on the display screens.

Hmm interesting...I'll give the same recommendation as Raging blue...

Please download, install and fly the jet provided at the link below:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3So3WwTLPRZZXVhWVJoQXJkdWs

This is one of the later prototypes that I've been working on (ver. 17.1.6) and shouldn't give you the same issues that you've mentioned before.  Since it's a separate jet, you shouldn't have to uninstall any other previous versions of the jet.  There is only one jet (VFA-147 Argonauts/Training) included in the file to keep the file size down.  Thanks and good luck.

PhantomTweak

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2017, 07:46:50 am »
Just to be sure, are you trying to install the v16.1, or the v17.1?
The v17.1 is still in beta testing, up to v17.1.11 now, and not ready for "public" release. Just one texture, and only the one load-out. It DOES work well in P3D, however. Better than the v16.1.
You can DL the v16.1 here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3So3WwTLPRZVU1jaVUtTXZIVVU/view?usp=sharing . It has the self installer.
The v17.1 can be downloaded from here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B3So3WwTLPRZZXVhWVJoQXJkdWs . It does NOT have a self installer.
To install the v17.1 "manually", take and unzip the downloaded file to a temp folder. Copy the unzipped folder, FA-18C_FSXBA_BA_17.1.11_Test to your Airplanes folder in the sim, like any other aircraft. Copy the contents of the Effects folder within the plane's folder to the sim's effects folder, allowing overwrites to occur. In the Recent Update folder, copy the file VC_redist.x86.exe to your desktop and run it. Remember to Run As Administrator when you run it. Simply rclick on the file, and select Run As Admin from the dropdown menu that pops. Allow it to run. Sometimes it SEEMS to have locked up, but it hasn't. Just let it run until it's done. Go get a cuppa joe, or a soda, or something :)
Fire up the sim and enjoy the bird!
Does this help at all?
Pat☺

Butch

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »
Does this help at all?
Pat☺

Not in P3D. Pictures should be enough to show that CRT screens do not function in P3d, anyway not for me. I didn't do anything different in the install for both versions (P3d vs FSX)
In FSX you can see that the CRT screen auto populate with functional buttons and are selectable with results, in P3D those buttons are like pressing a brick wall. nothing, Nada, zip.
As I mentioned before, the rest of the plane works fine in P3d juat not the avionics.
And yes, this is the test version, the older version same results.
BTW FWIW, The installer for the v 16.1 offers to install to P3D V2. I have P3D V3.4 (Latest version)

« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 03:21:41 pm by Butch »

ctec1

« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2017, 01:27:37 pm »
FA-18.dll in P3D/gauges folder?