Author Topic: FIX for XPOI connection issues  (Read 12435 times)

ganesh

• Administrator
  • Developer of Couatl
    • Gamecentric
FIX for XPOI connection issues
« on: January 22, 2009, 05:09:34 pm »
I am truly sorry about the problems you are having with XPOI. As Umberto already said, that is due to a problem with the Geoname server that is not under our control. Fortunaly, Geonames has set up backup servers to overcome the difficulties in accessing the overloaded ws.geonames.org server. I have prepared a quick fix that makes XPOI try all available servers in case one is not available. To install the patch, extract the zip file attached to this message in folder

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\FSdreamteam\Couatl\XPOI

(replace "Program Files" with your language equivalent). This operation will replace exactly five files.

If anything goes wrong, re-launch the XPOI installer to get back to a pristine condition.

UPDATED ZIP FILE: with fix for the search function.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 08:08:45 pm by ganesh »
Ganesh
Developer of Couatl

Kabli

Re: FIX for XPOI connection issues
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2009, 01:50:08 am »
Hello, just a confirm from me on this important thread that the patch is working great right for me right now
Many thanks, Dom

[Edit] Just one thing? The excellent search function has stopped working for me -
could it be a side-effect of the patch? I'll remove this edit if not of course.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 01:57:26 am by Kabli »

Arnoz

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2009, 10:36:40 am »
Hello, a pleasure for me that XPOI goes on with this patch.

Unfortunately, the searching mode isn't working like Kabli says.

For the moment, it's a great pleasure that Geonames is back for tourist flyer like me !

Arnoz

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2009, 11:49:49 am »
It might be that the backup servers that has been setup by geonames folks, are not supporting all features, like search for example.

However, it should be only temporary, because as soon as they clear up the issue with that rougue iPhone application, it should go back to normal with the standard server.

You can control the connection with the new XPOI fix, by editing its config file, located at

%APPDATA%\Virtuali\XPOI.ini

By changing the order of the various URLs found there, you change the order that XPOI connects to the servers. XPOI starts from the first URL and, if that server is down, it tries the next one. NOTE: if a server is down and the next one is alive, XPOI will automatically rearrange the ULRs order in the INI file so, the next time, it will not have to look again for a server that was down the last time, speeding up the first connection.

The regular server is ws.geonames.org, the ones with the numbers (ws2 and ws5) are the backup servers.

ganesh

• Administrator
  • Developer of Couatl
    • Gamecentric
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2009, 07:49:52 pm »
Ouch! The search function is not working with the patch, because it is not being redirected: it is still using ws.geonames.org unconditionally. It's my fault, I have completly forgotten to fix that part. I'm really sorry. I'm working on that right now.
Ganesh
Developer of Couatl

ganesh

• Administrator
  • Developer of Couatl
    • Gamecentric
Fix updated
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2009, 08:10:28 pm »
I updated the zip file in the first message of this thread to include the fix for the search function.
Many thanks to Kabli and Arnoz for their precious feedback!
Ganesh
Developer of Couatl

Arnoz

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 08:54:08 am »
It's working like a charm !!!!

Thank you for your prompt reactivity, I love this soft and I was so sad of its connection failure.

Arnoz

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 12:13:12 pm »
A quick info: starting from today, the full installer already includes all the fixes so, if you download it now, there's no need to apply this fix.

You can recognize the fixed installer, by its version number, which is 1.5.1 (it was 1.5.0 previously)