Author Topic: Searching for the F18D  (Read 13234 times)

Orion

Re: Searching for the F18D
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2017, 06:23:58 am »
Just to set things straight, Microsoft provides cumulative updates to the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable, so you don't need to worry about installing older versions (of the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable; the 2013, 2012, 2010, etc. ones are entirely independent from the 2015 ones).  For what it's worth, as of the time of the post, the most recent version is Update 3, available here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=53840.  (You can always find a link to the most recent version here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2977003/the-latest-supported-visual-c-downloads.)

The FCS FAIL message on the HUD is linked to the L:fcs_initialized variable that's set after HornetFCS loads the proper configuration data from the aircraft.cfg file.  When FCS FAIL appears, it can generally mean one of two things: either that the HornetFCS.dll gauge didn't load at all (in the case where the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable isn't installed), or that the gauge loaded but the configuration data in the aircraft.cfg is incorrect.  In this case, we know it's the latter because the green bar appears (which is a message generated by the HornetFCS.dll gauge) to tell us that there's a missing or unexpected configuration.

So, lancer27, try looking in the aircraft.cfg for a HornetFCS section.  In that section there should be some key/value pairs with constants for the PID controllers that the HornetFCS.dll gauge uses as part of the fly-by-wire FCS.  If the section doesn't exist, try copying it from one of the aircraft.cfg files from the F/A-18C download.  You don't need to worry about the Visual C++ 2015 redistributable; you already have an appropriate version installed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 06:27:01 am by Orion »

PhantomTweak

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2017, 07:52:37 am »
Thanks for clearing that up for us, Orion. Now I know.
So the v16.1 didn't install the version I have because there was a newer one, which was just as acceptable. I get it. Thank you for the help!
@lancer27: I hope that clears it up for you, like it did for me  :) I know, after all this, I'll remember for next time.
I never thought about the HornetFCS section. Just never entered my little skull. I'm really glad Orion chimed in :)

Hope this get's ya going!
Pat☺

Kea

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2017, 07:27:18 pm »
Here you lancer27:

https://drive.google.com/a/peterson.net.nz/file/d/0B_KeMXMmL3b3Q0pPS2Rmdkx6YlE/view?usp=drivesdk

It's over 1GB but it should have everything ready to go (and assuming you have fixed your C++ issues, no errors!).

There should be some NSAWC liveries in there. I would suggest you completely remove your existing FSXBA D bird and replace entirely with this one.

lancer27

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2017, 07:32:15 pm »
     @Orion or PhantomTweak
          Hi, I opened the aircraft configuration file and the closest entry I saw for anything relating to flight control was [flight_tuning]. I checked the D model against the C model and there are some differences. I am not sure if this is the right entry that I should change/swap? 

@Kea
          Hi, thank you very much for the link. I installed all the files, started FSX, selected an aircraft (Canadian), pressed fly now and....Success! All works well!  Again thank you for the link :) 

PhantomTweak

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2017, 09:33:14 pm »
Hi, I opened the aircraft configuration file and the closest entry I saw for anything relating to flight control was [flight_tuning]. I checked the D model against the C model and there are some differences. I am not sure if this is the right entry that I should change/swap? 
Nope, that's not it. What you need to do is open the aircraft.cfg of the v16,1 Base version. Look for a section labeled [HornetFCS]. It's right up at the top.
It looks like this:
Code: [Select]
[HornetFCS]
CStar=4.50,0.55,0
PitchRateScalar=0.115
GForceScalar=2.0
AoAScalar=0.75
Sideslip=75,75.01,10.0
Aileron=1.50,.5,0
LevelFlight=0.25,.32,0
HighAoAScalar=.25
ThrottleCruise=10,1,0
ThrottleApproach=20,2,0

Copy the entire section into the D model's aircraft.cfg. Save it, and try it. You can use the one I included.
ONLY use a text editor to open the .cfg files. Never use a word processor. They add code that makes the .cfg files unusable to the sim. NotePad, included with Windows works well, as does the freeware Notepad++.
ALWAYS make a backup of any file you edit, before you start. Just a quick copy-paste works fine. That way, if something goes pear-shaped, you can start over at the beginning with a known-good file.
Does this help?
Pat☺

lancer27

« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2017, 04:00:08 am »
     Hi, I was able to locate the [HornetFCS] in the Base version. None of the D models had that entry. I copied and pasted, started up FSX, selected a D model, pressed fly now and....Success! I saw no more FCS Fail. The aircraft flew like a dream! I would like to thank you very much for all your help and guidance. I very much appreciate it  :)

PhantomTweak

« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2017, 08:11:40 am »
Great! Glad you got 'er flyin!
Now, two things to think of: I don't have the D model, but I suspect the weight-n-balance section of it's aircraft.cfg is probably pretty inaccurate. I might well be mistaken, buuut...
Take a look at the equivalent loadout in the v16.1, and see what it's weight-n-balance section looks like. Not just the station entries, although they matter a great deal, but the 3 MOI's as well. I know the D Model is heavier, so the MOI's will be slightly higher, and you will need to add at least 1 Station to account for the GIB, if he's in there. Remember that, say, a wing hardpoint will have 2 Statioon entries, one for the pylon, and one for the missile(s), bomb(s), or whatever is mounted there-on.
Second, if it doesn't fly "right" you can adjust the numbers in the Hornet_FCS section, but if you do, be VERY cautious. The numbers are for the FCS PID controllers, and a small change can have very large effects. PID controllers are a real adventure. Look them up on Wiki. There's a great article about them. Just FYI, btw, the AP settings include PID controller numbers as well. Adjusting them can really throw things off, so if you're going to make a change, change only 1 number, and only change it a very small amount. Not just numerically, but percentage wise. Then test thoroughly. VERY thoroughly. Then and only then go on to change it more, or another number, or whatever.
If it flies like you like, though, leave it alone :D
Pat☺

Victory103

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2017, 11:18:14 pm »
Kea, thanks for the link again and TMAP work, tested both in the 1st flight. I guess I disregarded the FSXBA "D" as I had the CS model already. Like a certain payware F-16, having a back seat VC is pretty cool. I did see some weird FCS anomalies, stabs and pilot heads jerking until I engaged the AP, but jet flew fine.

I stayed with the A-S model and noted most of the same bugs reported in the other thread, but honestly successful 1st test with the TMAP additions.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS