Author Topic: Error 5 When installing any FSDT product  (Read 4762 times)

johnnycrockett

Error 5 When installing any FSDT product
« on: January 22, 2017, 10:37:29 am »
Hi there,

I have encountered an issue while installing my FSDT products.

Whenever I install any product, the installer downloads files then I get this error;

I was able to install FB KDEN yesterday without any troubles. I have tried/done the following;
Restarted windows
Disabled AV & firewall
Tried reinstalling stand alone addon manager
Run installer as administrator.

This is a new PC running Windows 10, I only have one account as an administrator.

Thanks in advance for your help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Error 5 When installing any FSDT product
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2017, 02:35:26 pm »
The installer runs automatically with admin permissions, so it's not that you can forget it.

I'm sorry, but the only possible reason for this error, is that either you are trying to start the installer while FSX was still running, or your haven't disabled the antivirus correctly.

johnnycrockett

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 02:12:36 am »
Thanks for the reply.

As an update, I uninstalled AV, still no luck.
Uninstalled KDEN, Addon Manager & Coutl then tried to install addon manager standalone, still no luck.
Manually deleted the files I could & then tried renaming the FSdreamteam folder, still couldn't do it! At least it confirmed something was using the file but no idea what.

In the end a restart into Windows safe mode meant I could delete it and have been able to reinstall everything so far.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2017, 10:52:04 am »
In the end a restart into Windows safe mode meant I could delete it and have been able to reinstall everything so far.

It means your antivirus was still blocking the folders, unless you started in safe mode. Of course, there's nothing we can do if it did that, since the antivirus will always have an higher permission level than anything else on the system.

There are some utilities which are designed to fix this (because it's NOT obviously a problem related to our software only, antivirus can be very disruptive to anything, that's why such utilities exists in the first place...), which has been discussed here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,14939.msg108802.html#msg108802

They might be useful to regain access to a locked folder, so you can remove it without having to restart in Safe Mode.