Author Topic: Missing Terminal Texures  (Read 5526 times)

wombat457

Missing Terminal Texures
« on: January 21, 2017, 07:23:51 am »
I have JFK, ORD and LAX installed and, according to the installer an FSX. are installed correctly.  ALL 3 were newly downloaded from the FSDT site this evening.  However, this is what I get at ALL airports:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/wombat4571/TC-2017-jan-21-001_zpsmgpxrdms.jpg

NO Terminals what so ever.

Now, before anyone jumps on the Anti Virus Band Wagon, my anti virus (reluctantly) was "disabled" for the downloads AND installation of these airports as well as the Add-on Manager.  Despite this, there is no coutle (or whatever the thing is) in the FSX Menu despite all files being in the FSX directory.  An attempt at upgrading the thing produced this:

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d33/wombat4571/TC-2017-jan-21-002_zpsrxffbnpu.jpg

I think the problem is fairly clear and obvious.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 02:16:40 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Missing Terminal Texures
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:22:11 pm »
I think the problem is fairly clear and obvious.

The "problem" you are reporting is NOT obviously a problem. We tried to word that message in many different ways, but users keep to be confused by it.

It's NOT an error, it's just saying that, since you haven't installed a product that MIGHT have required an update of one of its files, the updater skipped over that, because it wouldn't make much sense to download an update for a product you don't have, wouldn't ? Be sure, if it was a real error, it would have been clearly labeled as such.

No, if you are missing the Couatl menus, the most likely explanation is it has been blocked by the Antivirus.

Now, before anyone jumps on the Anti Virus Band Wagon, my anti virus (reluctantly) was "disabled" for the downloads AND installation of these airports as well as the Add-on Manager.

Which is not what we always suggested to do. Not enough, at least. If the antivirus is defective, so you must disable while downloading and installing, you should ALSO configure it to exclude the whole FSX folder, or at least the Couatl executable BEFORE turning it back on, otherwise having disabled while installing won't help at all, if the antivirus is blocking the program on execution.

So, as explained in all threads about the antivirus problems:

- Download and install with the antivirus off

- BEFORE starting FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the whole FSX folder, or at least the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl folder.

wombat457

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 05:07:17 pm »
"The "problem" you are reporting is NOT obviously a problem"

Hate to say this BUT, when you are missing the majority of the textures I think that is a problem, at least for the customer.

"It's NOT an error, it's just saying that, since you haven't installed a product that MIGHT have required an update of one of its files, the updater skipped over that, because it wouldn't make much sense to download an update for a product you don't have, wouldn't ? Be sure, if it was a real error, it would have been clearly labeled as such."

You are right, downloading updates for something you haven't downloaded would be ridiculous.  All I was doing though was using the coulta thing to update itself, nothing else, and it was downloaded and installed.

Program Files (x86)/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator X/fsdreamteam/coualt/coualt_updater

"Download and install with the antivirus off"

I guess I didn't make myself clear, I did download AND install the three airports with the anti virus disabled/off and both the downloader and install stated that all three sceneries had been installed successfully.  

I should add that my anti virus stops the downloading of any software that it detects (or thinks) as being corrupt/suspicious or problematic and gives me the option of continuing or removing the download before the suspect file/s are even downloaded to my computer.  When I first downloaded the airports I did not have anti virus off or disabled and I received no such warnings which means that my anti virus did not see a problem with the downloaded files and did not effect them in anyway.  That is supported by the fact that I have the same 3 airports installed in FS9, and they all show properly despite being downloaded, installed and run with my anti virus on and active.

So an additional question or 2 -

1.   why does "some of the scenery display" (jetways etc) but the terminals do not?  As said, this problem is not confined to KORD but all 3 fsdt sceneries I have installed.

2.   what exactly is "coualt" and what does it do?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:29:44 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 05:31:00 pm »
Hate to say this BUT, when you are missing the majority of the textures I think that is a problem, at least for the customer.

Still I can't see how that message could be seen as an "error", when it's just a progress text saying there's no need to do something.

You are right, downloading updates for something you haven't downloaded would be ridiculous.  All I was doing though was using the coulta thing to update itself, nothing else, and it was downloaded and installed.

Program Files (x86)/microsoft games/microsoft flight simulator X/fsdreamteam/coualt/coualt_updater

You are not supposed to launch this file yourself, and nowhere in the program documentation we ever suggested to do so.

This updater will ONLY update code for the small Live Update fixes, typically by GSX, and it's launched automatically by the Live Updater program, if needed, when you give it the ok, from the sim, when notified.

I guess I didn't make myself clear, I did download AND install the three airports with the anti virus disabled/off and both the downloader and install stated that all three sceneries had been installed successfully.  

No, I wasn't probably very clear, or you probably haven't paid enough attention to my previous reply. Downloading and installing with the antivirus disabled IS NOT ENOUGH.

As I've said in my previous reply, whenever there's a suspect the antivirus MIGHT be responsible, because the software hasn't started, you MUST also exclude the FSX folder from scanning!

That is supported by the fact that I have the same 3 airports installed in FS9, and they all show properly despite being downloaded, installed and run with my anti virus on and active.

This doesn't support anything, since our software is different between FSX and FS9, so you cannot assume that, just because your antivirus is not blocking the FS9 version, it will allow the FSX one.

1.   why does "some of the scenery display" (jetways etc) but the terminals do not?  As said, this problem is not confined to KORD but all 3 fsdt sceneries I have installed.

Because the software required to show the scenery hasn't started, and 99% of the cases, it's because of the antivirus blocking it.

Do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl" menus under the "Addons" menu ? Do you miss only one ? Which one ? Do you miss both ?

Have you been asked permission to run BOTH modules after starting FSX the first time ? Have you allowed them BOTH ?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 05:32:55 pm by virtuali »

wombat457

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 09:25:32 pm »
"Do you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl" menus under the "Addons" menu ? Do you miss only one ? Which one ? Do you miss both ?"

I only have the Add On Manager in the FSX Menu.  There is NO couatl present.

"Have you been asked permission to run BOTH modules after starting FSX the first time ? Have you allowed them BOTH ?"

I cannot say with any certainty if I have been asked for permission to run those specific modules.  I have been asked for permissions that were given but cannot say f it was for one or the other or both.

With regards couatl, are you saying that one part of the setup runs the jetways etc (allowing them to be seen) while the rest needs couatl?  If that is the case, why are two seperate functions needed to run the one scenery?  Am just curious.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 10:58:30 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2017, 11:02:10 pm »
I only have the Add On Manager in the FSX Menu.  There is NO couatl present.

That's the antivirus, very likely. Unless you allowed the Addon Manager, and refused the Couatl program by mistake.

I cannot say with any certainty if I have been asked for permission to run those specific modules.  I have been asked for permissions that were given but cannot say f it was for one or the other or both.

You can Undo everything and restart from scratch, so FSX will redo the question, if you do as follows:

- Uninstall the scenery, and be sure you reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine ?" which are made at the end of the Uninstall process.

- Reinstall the scenery, and pay attention if you are being asked permission to run both of them. Allow them both, of course.

With regards couatl, are you saying that one part of the setup runs the jetways etc (allowing them to be seen) while the rest needs couatl?  If that is the case, why are two seperate functions needed to run the one scenery?  Am just curious.

Both are needed for the entire scenery, of course, which is why I asked if you have both them running. Jetways are the only part not handled by them, which is why are the only things you see now.

wombat457

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2017, 03:19:31 am »
Thank you, I will try uninstalling and reinstalling tomorrow and will let you know what happens.