Author Topic: GSX Installation Error - "error 5"  (Read 4398 times)

mglan80

GSX Installation Error - "error 5"
« on: January 20, 2017, 03:25:13 pm »
Hello!  Earlier this week I received my new computer and had installed GSX and a few airports by Flightbeam, but was having the disappearing buildings issue. I uninstalled GSX to try a reinstall and had been hit with the "error 5" issue that talks about administrator rights and so forth.

I've looked at my posts and before you reply I'm not running any anti-virus, windows defender is off and excludes the fsx folder and the GSX installer file. Also FSX is not running and I've restarted windows.

I'm out of ideas!  Please help!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX Installation Error - "error 5"
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 02:37:53 pm »
I've looked at my posts and before you reply I'm not running any anti-virus, windows defender is off and excludes the fsx folder and the GSX installer file. Also FSX is not running and I've restarted windows.

This problem is SURELY caused by an antivirus. Even if you are SURE it's not running now and you are SURE FSX is not running, it might have caused a mess in your file permissions, denying you from accessing a folder, while the antivirus was still active.

Yes, it seems strange, but I witnessed this first-hand on an user system during a remote assistance session. There are some free utilities you can try to unlock that folder:

http://www.iobit.com/en/iobit-unlocker.php
http://www.freefileunlocker.com/

And tell to the utility to unlock the FSX\fsdreamteam folder, then REMOVE IT manually, reinstall whatever scenery you have and GSX.

mglan80

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:59:26 pm »
I believe it had more to do with the completely bonkers admin. rights of Windows 10.  I was finally able to install after altering those for about 3 hours.

I'm now getting this error:

couatl v3.1 (build 3577)
panic log started on Sat Jan 21 18:00:40 2017

problem raised by addon <unknown>
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 47, in loadAddons
  File "<string>", line 36, in importAndCreateInstance
ImportError: No module named common
{}

It results in no menu to select the GSX services.  The add-on manager menu is there.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2017, 01:39:44 am »
I believe it had more to do with the completely bonkers admin. rights of Windows 10

Which has been screwed up by some other software, because I assure you that, by default, there are no problems whatsoever with Windows 10 and GSX, and Windows 10 is what we all at FSDT use nowadays.

I'm now getting this error:

ImportError: No module named common

This error seems to indicate you still haven't completed the installation correctly, since this file cannot be missing, since it's installed by the installer automatically,. so the only possible explanation left, is the installation is still not complete and has been blocked somehow.

Have you tried what I suggested to do ?

And tell to the utility to unlock the FSX\fsdreamteam folder, then REMOVE IT manually, reinstall whatever scenery you have and GSX.

mglan80

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 04:26:10 am »
The installer program you suggested worked in removing the undeletable folders.  Installing then went smooth - Disabling Windows Defender, of course!  It's good to note that even with a good install of GSX, if you install add-ons and don't disable the anti-virus there will be problems.  Unfortunately, I had this experience.

Thanks so much for your help!

simsuper80

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 04:54:37 am »
i am having this same issue after reinstalling p3d
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 10:42:37 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2017, 10:45:30 am »
i am having this same issue after reinstalling p3d

I can only repeat and confirm this error can ONLY be caused by of the following:

- The sim still running when launching the installer. A Windows restart will surely fix this.

- The antivirus blocking the folder. Disabling the antivirus will fix this.

- The folder having being locked by the OS for some reason related to the antivirus (when it *was* active), which might be fixed by some of the unlocking utilities I posted before, which worked for the previous poster.