Author Topic: TMAP for FSXBA F/A-18C/D Hornet  (Read 14628 times)

Kea

TMAP for FSXBA F/A-18C/D Hornet
« on: January 16, 2017, 10:10:42 am »
Hi all

Below is a link for the latest FSXBA Hornet (16.1 for C and 15.6 for D) now with actual weapons modeled.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3TlJ6QUdqSTRXZXc

There are three armed variants for both the C and D:

Air-to-Air (A-A)
Air-to-Ground (A-G)
Air-to-Surface (A-S)

(You might want to watch this in YouTube and in HD for a more detailed look...)

Have a look at the images below to see what the different variants offer in terms of loadouts.

These variants use the TMAP system by Corrado and, after some extra tweaking, now allows for dual ejector racks on the outboard wing stations for the A-G variant and outboard dual rails for the A-A variant. I would have preferred to offer just one variant with all the options, but I don't have the knowledge to make the DERs or dual rails appear/disappear as required, so I've had to do three separate variants.

By way of quick explanation, for those who aren't familiar with the TMAP, Corrado's TMAP adds weapon models to stations via a Loadout Manager, which, when fired, are replaced with actual TacPack weapon models.

Additionally, I have tried to integrate the TMAP weapon avionics into the existing avionics, although this is very limited due to my lack of coding knowledge! What it does mean though, is that weapons can be selected the same way as previously - by selecting CTRL-SHFT-1 through to 9, however there are some bugs associated with this (see the bug list).

This system has only been tested in FSX (not FSX:SE or P3D)!

If you just want to jump in and see how it works, then this is what you need to do.

1. Make a backup of your existing FSXBA Hornets!
2. Download these ones and drop them in your Airplanes folder. These variants have new names and essentially just replace the previous AA, AG Mav and AG Zuni models. Your Blue Angels, Clean and Training models won't need any alterations.
3. Copy-paste the aircraft.cfg and your livery folders from your previous variants to these ones. I've also included a new livery for the D - VMFA-533 Hawks, just returned from theatre!
4.Open the included "add_to_aircraft" text file and copy-paste those sections into each aircraft.cfg - this just replaces the stores list and smoke effects.
5. You will also need to change the model names in each of your liveries - this might be a bit tedious - hint, use the Replace all function in notepad!
6. From the downloaded "Base" variant, just copy-paste the new textures out of the texture folder into your existing Base/Texture folder. This assumes you are mapping all your various texture folders back to the Base/Texture, otherwise you'll get black weapons.
7. When you start FSX or select one of these new models, you'll get two messages asking you if you trust some stuff. Of course you do. If you don't, it won't work! :)
8. In-game, use SHFT-4 to bring up the Loadout Manager. As you selected weapons you'll see a red tick and the model appear at the chosen station. You'll also notice the aircraft rock about as weight is added! NOTE - all weapons, with the exception of the ASQ pod, are loaded in pairs. No ugly configurations at the moment sorry. Also the centreline tank is fixed and wing tanks haven't been modeled - yet.
9. In flight, use the same method you're used to with the 16.1 for selecting and firing weapons. SEE THE BUG LIST - this isn't perfect yet. Pickle should deploy everything except the gun, which is trigger.
10. Boom boom!

OK, now for those who want to know a little more about what's under the hood.
Here is a link to my working files, for anyone who may be inclined to improve on this.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3Q1JZMU5ILVhyUkE

Included are gmax files, used to position the various loadouts; new textures for the TMAP weapons (not perfect by any means!); and various model and xml files for the variants. You'll find both C and D files under each variant. For anyone who understands TMAP and coding etc better than me (which will be most of you), feel free to tweak and fix to make these models even better! Just the usual conditions though - remember to credit Corrado please, and don't try to sell anything you make using this as a base.

The Bug List:

Unfortunately, because this is a mash-up addon to an existing aircraft and hasn't been integrated from the ground up, there are always bound to be some glitches. Add to that my extremely limited knowledge of FSX mechanics, and you can quadruple the bugs. Here's what I know are issues so far:

1. Some animations may have been lost during the merging of the weapons model with the existing model (I used Training as my base). I know that as a result, only the left wing now folds. Also the wingtip AIM-9 won't fold with the wing, so if you fold it loaded, you'll have a floating Sidewinder. As an aside, but a similar problem, I did have a go at making the stores visible from within the VC, but, while the visual effect was great, I lost all functionality with my MFDs, so it was kind of pointless.

2. There may be an issue with the autopilot (when disengaged the aircraft may go max trim up?). I haven't tested this extensively but I did experience it in an MP session the other day. It may or may not be related to this TMAP business.

3. The AA radar will cycle targets on MFD but this doesn't seem to be replicated on the HUD (seems to only go STT on first/nearest target then stay on it until you manouvre it off your MFD). Also the Sidewinder growl doesn't kick in until you've let loose your first AIM-9 and even then I don't think it changes tone to the high-pitch lock.

4. Weapons won't necessarily fire in sequence or conform to what is selected on HUD - eg if you have two AIM-9s and one AIM-120, and you have selected MRMs (CTRL-SHFT-4), the system will fire your AIM-120 first but at next pickle will release an AIM-9. Also, if you have GBU-12s and AGM-65s on board, the AGM-65s seem to fire first, regardless of what mode is selected. I'm pretty sure this is something to do with the FA-18C.xml and/or Configurator.xml files, or the WeaponSelect coding/gauge.

5. When a weapon mode is selected, the HUD displays which mode is active (eg MRM or GBU or IRON, etc). But this basically just translates to "air-to-air" or "air-to-ground" it seems. For instance, you can be in IRON mode, with no actual dumb bombs loaded, and the stores count may show (flashing) the entire air-to-ground stores count. Furthermore, whilst in IRON mode, you could pickle off some GBUs. So there's a long way to go with the HUD coding.

6. GBU-12s and AGM-65s will lock to laser code 1234 (fixed, no way to change in-flight), but no LTD symbology on HUD - so you need to know where your lased target is. If no laser, then they will behave like CDIP. So if you're using CCP/FSX@War and have inserted a laser mark, then if you're in range, your GBU-12 or Maverick should hit that mark. Not yet tested in MP with someone else buddy-lasing 1234.

7. GBU-31s (were initially modeled but no longer modeled at the moment) have a mind of their own. They won't slave to ground radar or laser code or even CDIP - they seem to just head off to some predetermined point. Haven't tested this enough to figure it out.

8. AGM-84 does the same - starts flying off to the North Pole or somewhere. The original TMAP addon in theory automated the AGM-84 to lock to the nearest sea target (I think), but somehow that's been lost in my integration with the existing avionics suite.

9. In MP, other FSXBA Hornets will display the SAME loadout as yours. I don't know why this happens (I've noticed it happens on the IRIS Warthog too) but it means your wingman can fire a weapon - they'll see it disappear from their aircraft but YOU won't, unless you fire the same weapon at the same time!

10. Stores, when fired, may appear from a point in front of the aircraft. This might be fixed in the gmax files or the tackpack.ini? Not quite sure what decides where the TacPack weapon will appear once activated.

11. The DERs and dual launch rails have no textures, just plain grey at the moment.

Despite all these issues, I hope you find some enjoyment in these developments. And of course, there is an open invite to anyone with some smarts to have a go at making this whole thing work even better for everyone's benefit, because I'm pretty much at the edge of my limits. If anyone has any specific questions about how this was put together, please either post here or send me a PM. If you are thinking of working on any fixes, why not let everyone know by posting here, to save any double-ups (I know Jimi is having a look at some of this but the more hands the better).

Happy flying!

Kea

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
Re: TMAP for FSXBA F/A-18C/D Hornet
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 01:23:09 pm »
Awesome work Kea (great video too!)!!!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

Victory103

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2017, 04:20:24 am »
+1 Kea, I'm following the work on the VRS forums. Like most, the end state is to TMAP all my mil stuff that the developer is probably never going to touch again. The basic TP mods to the current FSXBA Hornet are moving in the right direction, thanks for taking the time for one more step forward. I'm still trying to learn the TMAP, I have no clue on the GMAX stuff, but can open MCX and mess around.
DUSTOFF
ARMY PROPS

GOONIE

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 05:43:49 pm »
Very cool!

Does this hornet work in P3D?
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Kea

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2017, 07:51:38 pm »
This has only been tested in FSX, but give it a go and let us know...

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2017, 06:10:30 am »
Very cool!

Does this hornet work in P3D?

GOONIE,

Downloaded and installed the latest version of P3D.  Although I haven't tried TACPACK in P3D, I did notice that the original F18.dll that both the Default, Captain Sim, Sludge and FSXBA Hornets use, doesn't not work correctly.  Although many of the screens show up in the cockpit, their functionality has been lost (i.e. Engine readouts are all 0s, HSI Compass does not rotate, data is not presented or updated).  Also, all of the UFCP sub-modes no longer display such as the COMMs and A/P sub-modes.

This tells me that the dll file is being partially read, since the screens and most of the avionics are visible in the cockpit, but not functional.

I've sent a message to Virtuali in hopes that he would be able to offer some kind of solution to this problem.

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels
FSXBA F/A-18C Hornet Latest Download Link: http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,6944.msg117011.html#msg1

GOONIE

« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2017, 02:45:55 pm »
Thanks Jimi for the help!
"You've got to land here, son. This is where the food is."

Kea

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2017, 08:11:54 am »
Updated tacpack.ini and tacpack-user.ini files:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_KeMXMmL3b3dE11ZnNRMDFMb2M

Replace existing tacpack and tacpack-user .ini files in your A-A, A-G and A-S variants with these ones (works for both C and D models). This will now show weapons departing their respective racks rather than from the nose of the aircraft. Also now corrects flare release to a single point under the fuselage, rather than spitting out the sides from the cockpit.

jimi08

• FSX BLUE ANGELS
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2017, 09:06:03 am »
Awesome!  Good work!

Justin "Jimi" Hendrix
FSX Blue Angels

marte21

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 10:29:02 am »
Great job!

Would be possible to have AIM-120 working in any lock mode and not in boresight?

Thank you!

cobrales

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2017, 11:29:40 pm »
Seems to work the same in Steam FSX as it does in FSX. Thanks for a new toy. Look foward for later updates.

Dman

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2017, 08:28:59 pm »
I love the Legacy Hornet..
but I have a question.. it looks to me.. at least on my system.. the I can't get the burner and vapor effects without at least firing a weapon first. I assume it has something to do with Tackpack inhibiting the effects trigger until Tackpack is active.. is there something I can do so the effects are there at the start?

thanks again

Kea

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2017, 07:25:35 am »
@marte21:
Not sure what you mean? Are you trying to fire an AMRAAM from a significant offset (eg target not on radar but off to either left or right? Or are you simply not achieving shoot-downs at long-range (10nm+)?

@Dman:
I am seeing burner effects and both wingtip and LEX vapour without having to fire any weapons so there's possibly something else going on with your setup/model?

PhantomTweak

« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2017, 07:48:29 am »
It should have come with an Effects folder. You need to copy the contents of that folder to the FSX\Effects folder. Say YES to over-writing. Also, say YES to merging the Texture folder, which is part of the Effects folder.
I am not certain what else it could be, but I will look and see what I can see...
Pat☺

marte21

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2017, 01:29:42 pm »
Kea, my AMRAAM are not following the radar lock. They are simply launching and locking in the nearest target ahead. It is exactly like the real boresight/visual mode. Unable to get fox-3 medium or long