Author Topic: Compatibility problems with KMEM and iFly products  (Read 11927 times)

demio

Re: Compatibility problems with KMEM and iFly products
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2016, 09:51:08 pm »
Sorry, I misspelled. That was supposed to read "With the MS' C172 and PMDG's MD-11 there is no crash."

demio

« Reply #16 on: December 17, 2016, 04:14:23 pm »
So, re-installed the Addon Manager, but the CTD remains.

Umberto, does the installer delete the [BUFFERPOOLS] section from the fsx.cfg?

Edit: By the way, I'm not the only one with this problem. In the iFly forum, someone else reported the same thing.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 04:38:50 pm by demio »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 09:51:33 am »
Umberto, does the installer delete the [BUFFERPOOLS] section from the fsx.cfg?

Yes, since the setting has been proven to be dangerous, and it's the first cause of G2D.DLL crashes.

Edit: By the way, I'm not the only one with this problem. In the iFly forum, someone else reported the same thing

Than nobody better than iFly support guys should be able to help you with this, but they said they cannot replicate it...how are we supposed to, if they even them cannot ?

demio

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2016, 10:16:13 pm »
Yes, since the setting has been proven to be dangerous, and it's the first cause of G2D.DLL crashes.

I see, but I'd like to be asked before someone makes such a change. And yes, I tried to remove the section (I run a large amount of buffer pools), but it still crashes.

Than nobody better than iFly support guys should be able to help you with this, but they said they cannot replicate it...how are we supposed to, if they even them cannot ?

I understand the problem you are facing - I really do. Is there some kind of logging I can activate in the Addon Manager?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:33:39 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2016, 10:33:50 am »
I see, but I'd like to be asked before someone makes such a change. And yes, I tried to remove the section (I run a large amount of buffer pools), but it still crashes.

Both PoolSize and a too large buffer pools settings are equally dangerous (one would risk GD2.DLL crashes, the other OOMs), and we cannot afford for KMEM to be mistakenly accused to cause crashes, if it's running with settings that have been proven dangerous by the community at large.

The safest setting is default: which means no setting. That doesn't obviously mean FSX doesn't use any bufferpools: it just use a reasonable number.

It's just a setting which can be easily restored: there are 3rd party installers out there ( I won't name them, but we know there are ), which silent patch your FSX .DLLs, or patch your FSX.EXE, or corrupt your XML files. We only restore it to its correct default value.

Most of the issues with FSX, is from "miracle" tweaks, which don't really do anything, other then increasing the risk of crashes, we were in the FSX Beta since 2007 when the Acceleration/SP2 was releases (heck, we even WORKED on the Acceleration Pack!!), and the default values were carefully chosen for some reason.

If you really want to change something and have a more reliable product, switch to P3D instead. No miracle tweak can really fix a 10-years old sim.

I understand the problem you are facing - I really do. Is there some kind of logging I can activate in the Addon Manager?

You are still missing the point. The Addon Manager is NOT crashing. If it did, you would see a crash in bglmanx.dll. It's your FSX which is crashing and it's NOT crashing (according to your latest report), with any other airplane than the iFly.

How you could expect we would ever be able to "log" a crash happening only when another program is running ? Again, the only ones that can help you are iFly guys, assuming you could be able to help them replicate the problem.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 10:38:35 am by virtuali »

demio

« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2016, 03:24:05 pm »
I understand what you're saying, but it's my system, and I'd like to be informed. Or else what happens is I notice the missing section, don't know why it's gone and go looking for other missing sections - hunting ghosts, if you so will, and that's a huge waste of time.

How you could expect we would ever be able to "log" a crash happening only when another program is running ? Again, the only ones that can help you are iFly guys, assuming you could be able to help them replicate the problem.

The iFly is also not crashing at any other airport, just KMEM, and I've been flying it in and out of other taxing aftermarket sceneries like EDDF V2 and KMIA. Plus, the 737 from iFly is also causing problems at (and only at) KMEM.

Okay, I'll have a look at my configuration, and I'll talk to the other guy that's having the same problem, and the I'll get back to you.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 02:13:03 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 02:15:19 pm »
The iFly is also not crashing at any other airport, just KMEM

According to YOUR own report, no other plane crashes at KMEM so, it's clearly not a problem of the scenery. Again, it MIGHT be a conflict, but (as I've said), if eve the iFly support guys cannot reproduce it, how WE are supposed to ?

So, the most likely explanation, is that there's a problem on YOUR system only, which cause a conflict between KMEM and iFly that normally shouldn't happen.

demio

« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2016, 04:14:37 pm »
On my system, until now, yes, only the iFly aircraft 747 has produced a CTD, and the 737 causes KMEM not to show up. But, as I mentioned, someone else in the iFly forum has the same problem. Actually, his is even bigger, and I quote:

Quote from: skyline223
I can definitely say after dealing with this issue over the last day, the problem is not really in the IFly 744. FSDT KMEM is just inherently unstable. The iFly 744 is the only aircraft that causes a CTD every time, but I have had a CTD with the FSX default 744 and even the Bell 206. The iFly 744 is just complex enough to push FSX over the edge every time without fail.

I'm trying to narrow down with him, but it will take some time.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2016, 04:24:52 pm »
Saying that KMEM is "inherently unstable", just because the iFly ALWAYS crashes, and he also had "some" crashes with other planes, doesn't indicate in any way that KMEM is the cause.

It only indicates that:

- The iFly put an higher strain on HIS system

AND

- He's probably already close to the FSX memory limit even with default planes, just no always.

Nowhere there's any indication KMEM is the *cause*. As explained, so many times, it's the COMBINATION of everything that is running at any certain moment, which eats away memory, and will cause crashes at some point so, the only possible solution, is simply lower the settings and don't use too many addons at the same time.

demio

« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 03:29:10 pm »
So, I have just tried...

- setting minimal settings
- switching from DX10 to DX9
- deactivating ORBX openLC and Vector

...but I keep getting the same error.

Running out of things to rule out. Any ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #25 on: December 21, 2016, 05:39:59 pm »
Running out of things to rule out. Any ideas?

Try to remove ALL the other 3rd party modules from the DLL and EXE XML, except bglmanx and couatl and the iFly module. At least, you would know if the conflict might be caused by an interaction of *several* modules, not just these two.

Otherwise, it wouldn't explain why the iFly support guys weren't able to reproduce it.

demio

« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2016, 07:33:04 pm »
Try to remove ALL the other 3rd party modules from the DLL and EXE XML, except bglmanx and couatl and the iFly module. At least, you would know if the conflict might be caused by an interaction of *several* modules, not just these two.
That was actually one of my first tests, but I just did it again. Crashed then, crashed just now. It's on that basis I've been focusing on those two products. And don't forget the problem with the iFly 737. Different, but still a problem.