Author Topic: Geneva - Seconds Per Frame!  (Read 5084 times)

gew

Geneva - Seconds Per Frame!
« on: January 05, 2009, 03:17:44 pm »
Hello to one and all.

I have just purchased the Geneva & Zurich Sceneries for FS9.  Both are visually excellent, but there are some serious FPS issues when taxiing at or flying over Geneva.  If I am not mistaken, it seems to get extremely bad when I look out left or right - the sound stutters and the sim suddenly slows right down (literally seconds per frame!).  At this point, it is impossible to continue, as the effects of my actions occur 2-3 seconds later!

Rather surprisingly, I do not have the problem at Zurich or at any other of the hundreds of addon airports that I have installed (many of them are larger and more complex).

I would appreciate it very much, if any of the more knowledgable simmers out there might be able to offer any sort of help - I've probably missed something glaringly obvious.

My system is as follows -  Processor: Pentium 4 2.66Gb;  RAM: 1500Mb;  Graphics Card: Nvidia 128Mb;  Sound Card: SoundBlaster 128Mb;  Hard Drive: 40Gb (Approx 1.7Mb Free); Pilot's PC & Sim experience: Approx 15 years.

Thank you in anticipation & Happy New Year to all.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Geneva - Seconds Per Frame!
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2009, 04:03:00 pm »
Graphics Card: Nvidia 128Mb

I think this is your main problem. Apart for the fact the card is unknown (if it's one of the "turbo cache" cards, like the 7600, the performances are absymal), 128MB is probably not enough with a scenery like Geneva, which uses mostly hi-res 1024x1024 texture everywere.

If textures needed for a scene do not fit entirely in the VRAM, the performance decrease is not smooth, but it drops immediately.

You can try lowering your Max Texture slider a notch or two. One notch down will use 512x512 textures, meaning the video requirement will be 4x lower. Two notches down it's 256x256, 16x less memory used.

Of course, the scenery wouldn't look as sharp but, it's either this, our upgrading the video card. 512+ cards are quite cheap nowadays...

Hard Drive: 40Gb (Approx 1.7Mb Free)

This might be an issue as well. An old hard drive (40Gb is probably 4-5 years ago, right ?) might be inherently slower than the newest models, but it also wouldn't work very good with so little free space left.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2009, 04:09:06 pm by virtuali »