Author Topic: CYVR Black Textures Higher Up **SOLVED**  (Read 7580 times)

sfgiants13

CYVR Black Textures Higher Up **SOLVED**
« on: October 10, 2016, 11:26:17 pm »
I've had an interesting problem that I don't get at any other airports.  I used to have an issue with slow texture loading at CYVR but that was fixed with the Texturemaxload=3 tweak.  I had some issues with the sim and did a repair install of the latest version of P3D client only.  Since then, at CYVR, I've been getting textures that start off fine on climbout, but as I keep climbing, the buildings progressively fill in as black as shown in the screenshot.  Once I descend, the textures quickly fill back in.  I have issues with AI planes flashing black briefly but those always reload the textures quickly.  No other airport FSDT or otherwise does this and I've tried deleting the shaders, building a new .cfg file, checking duplicate AFCADs, as well as making sure my settings are correct like in the documentation.  My specs are as follows:

Latest version of P3D
i5 6600k
GTX 1060 GPU
16GB RAM
Win 10

Addons (I tried disabling everything besides CYVR and it didn't help):
FTX Global Base/OpenLC
UTX USA (not Canada so irrelevant for CYVR)
FSDT Addon Airports
AS16 (not in use)
REX SoftClouds
FSUIPC
MyTraffic6
FreeMeshX
Migration Tool
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:18:50 am by virtuali »

sfgiants13

Re: CYVR Black Textures Higher Up
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 01:31:41 am »
I did another fresh .cfg and deleted the shaders folder and at the default config the problem is still there.  I've reset everything from Nvidia Inspector, the Nvidia control panel, as well as reinstalled CYVR and no dice.  It looks like it starts happening at around 1500 feet.  I was actually able to replicate this at at other FSDT airports (DFW, LAX) as well now.  When I'm on approach or directly above the airport at a higher altitude I get these black textures.  This doesn't happen at other airports from other developers or with the default scenery.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 02:19:28 am by sfgiants13 »

Martyjr

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:42:29 am »
Just for follow up:
I also tested FSX and seen a terminal change from black to white.
Best Regards,
Vaughan Martell

sfgiants13

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 03:18:02 am »
Do you get it at about the same altitude that I did? 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 08:18:42 am »
What you are seeing it's not a problem or a bug or something that needs to be fixed.

That's how the scenery it's done: the ground raises a bit depending on your eyepoint altitude, to prevent heavy ground flickering which would be otherwise happening if we used the *extremely* slow and bad looking (no ground shaders) FS8 ground polygons traditionally used for ground.

All our sceneries (from KDFW onward) are made like that, so it's entirely normal.

mtbrkhrd

Re: CYVR Black Textures Higher Up **SOLVED**
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »
Umberto,

are you absolutely sure it is normal, that when flying above the airport at just 1500ft AGL entire buildings and rooftops start to disappear?

I ask this because I do NOT see this problem happening with KIAH, this only happens at CYVR.

Thanks,
Markus

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2017, 05:59:24 pm »
are you absolutely sure it is normal, that when flying above the airport at just 1500ft AGL entire buildings and rooftops start to disappear?

Of course it is. The whole scenery moves up depending on the eyepoint height, in order to prevent heavy ground flickering, for the same reasons already explained in my previous post.

I ask this because I do NOT see this problem happening with KIAH, this only happens at CYVR.

It's less noticeable, just because not all buildings have the same heights, so they won't be affected in the same way but yes, even KIAH raises from the ground in real-time.

We came up with an entirely different solution, native to P3D, for KMEM, so it's possible we might be patch the other sceneries in the same way, but I cannot see exactly when, since we are a bit busy working on the new releases.

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2017, 02:52:42 am »
Thanks Umberto, I think I can live with the ground rising like it is in KIAH. But the way this works in CYVR is pretty bad, I mean if you do a go-around at short final, climb away and then look out the window you can already see huge black squares and missing buildings.
It would be great if you could do an update at some point, so that entire buildings won't disappear anymore. during a low fly-over.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2017, 08:00:26 pm »
It would be great if you could do an update at some point, so that entire buildings won't disappear anymore. during a low fly-over.

We'll surely update most of the recent sceneries to use native PD3 ground textures, like in the KMEM update. Have you tried that ?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 12:46:17 am by virtuali »

mtbrkhrd

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2017, 11:08:51 pm »
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you did an update a few days ago? I installed my CVYR at the end of December with a fresh download, haven't tried since January 1st.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 12:49:15 am »
Just to make sure I understand you correctly, you did an update a few days ago?

I'm sorry, by my spell-checker played a trick on me: I wanted to say "We'll surely update", future time, but it turned out to be "We'll surely updated", past tense...I'll fixed it now.

So, there's no native P3D update for CYVR right now, but since we had such good results with KMEM, we plan to update all most recent sceneries that same way, likely together with SODE jetways.