Author Topic: Guard Page Exception error - couatl.exe  (Read 4987 times)

bl9516

Guard Page Exception error - couatl.exe
« on: October 05, 2016, 04:46:41 pm »
I recently bought XPOI, Geneva and Zurich add-ons and think they are great. 

Now, every time I run FSX I receive a Guard Page Exception error message: 
A page of memory that marks the end of a data structure, such as a stack or an array, has been accessed.  (See attached pictures)

I have tried disabling various services but nothing has worked.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thank you.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Guard Page Exception error - couatl.exe
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 05:34:08 pm »
Nobody ever reported this error so, the only possible explanation, is some kind of file corruption or interference caused by the antivirus.

- Download and install the latest Stand-Alone Addon Manager or GSX, with the antivirus DISABLED

- Configure it to exclude the whole FSX from the antivirus scanning before trying to start FSX.

bl9516

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 06:15:07 pm »
Thanks for the quick response! 

I have tried disabling Windows defender while running and it had no effect.  I had to disable defender to even install the add-ons - my computer kept hanging otherwise.
Also, I have had the FSX folders excluded by defender due some other previous issues unrelated to these add-ons.

I tried the stand-alone add-on manager before (I saw those suggestions on the internet elsewhere) and just tried re-installing GSX (trial version only).  I still get the error and subsequent shutdown of couatl.exe.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 09:56:24 am »
I have tried disabling Windows defender while running and it had no effect.  I had to disable defender to even install the add-ons - my computer kept hanging otherwise.

This clearly indicates your PC have serious issues.  I'm sorry, but I'm really out of ideas. This is the first time I ever seen that error, which is not even coming from our app, it's a Windows error I never heard about until today.

The only solution I can give you now, it's to reinstall Windows. However, from your previous message:

I recently bought XPOI, Geneva and Zurich add-ons and think they are great. 

Now, every time I run FSX I receive a Guard Page Exception error message: 

It seems the addons USED to work on your system, and this happened only "now". Which further confirms something must have gone wrong in your Windows install between then and now.

bl9516

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2016, 02:30:20 pm »
Thanks for your response. 

I only experience this error in FSX:SE and only after installing the FSDT add-ons.  I use add-ons from AS:NE, PMDG, EZDOK, and Aerosoft, and UK2000 scenery products with no issues like this.  It may be a Windows error but it only happens when couatl.exe is running and when XPOI is enabled.  I have never seen a Guard Page Exception error before.  Re-installing Windows seems drastic and, to me, a very last resort.  My PC operates fine otherwise.

Here are some details after several flights trying various tweaks such as eliminating services, anti-virus, running as admin, etc...

The error kept re-occurring until XPOI was disabled.  With XPOI disabled, I made successful flights to any airports, including the 2 FSDT (Zurich and Geneva) without the issue.  With XPOI enabled, the error occurs about 10 to 45 minutes after take-off.  I left the plane idling at the gate for 60-90 minutes, and did not get the error.  When it does happen, I terminate couatl.exe and FSX:SE continues - no problem, but all FSDT add-ons (only) are no longer available until FSX:SE restarts.  It may happen sooner when there are many POI’s in the flight path (quick flight from Gatwick to Heathrow over London).

It would seem there is something about the way XPOI and couatl.exe interface with Windows that is causing the problem.  The 2 airport add-ons and GSX trial version (if it makes a difference) also use the couatl.exe interface/program, correct?  The airports can be enabled and the error doesn't happen.  I would like to have the functionality of XPOI, but if this can't be resolved I will just delete/disable it. That would be disappointing because I do like the add-on. 

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2016, 10:51:08 am »
Alright, now that your report is more accurate, which describe a precise case ( happens ONLY with XPOI, and ONLY after flying for some time and NOT just idling on the runway ), we might start investigating it.

In the meantime, try this:

- Leave XPOI enabled, but disable all its categories, so it won't show anything, and see if you get the error.