Author Topic: The look of the GSX window in P3Dv3.4  (Read 2693 times)

WebMaximus

The look of the GSX window in P3Dv3.4
« on: September 28, 2016, 11:48:11 pm »
After upgrading to P3Dv3.4 I've noticed how the GSX window has a new look and unfortunately it's very cumbersome to work with having to press the next and previous options repeatedly to navigate between the different pages. This becomes even harder when you just landed at a big airport with lots of gates and trying to find a specific gate on all the pages.

First I thought it was because I only updated the P3D client because I remember a similar issue in the past when upgrading P3D and back then the solution was to also update the content module but this time around that didn't fix the problem because I've now updated both the content and scenery modules as well as the client of course but the GSX window still looks the same. Not sure if it might have anything to do with the fact I'm running in 4K resolution?

This is what my GSX window looks like now in P3Dv3.4 and I guess the main issue is the text is far too big in relation to the window and there's far too much space between the lines.

Richard Åsberg

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: The look of the GSX window in P3Dv3.4
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 10:01:23 am »
This, of course, doesn't have anything to do with GSX and, in fact, it's a big IMPROVEMENT over the last version and, in fact, it was added by LM following our suggestion to fix this longstanding issue with P3D menus which, I must remind you, are created by the simulator itself and the look and feel is handled entirely by the sim, and it's the same with ALL 3rd party apps using menus.

Why I'm saying this is a vast improvement ?

The most important thing to understand, is the overall menu size window (again, this is the same for ALL 3rd party apps with a menu), depends on the size of the *main* simulator window.

With the previous versions, if the size the sim decided on was too small to include all the menu items, you wouldn't even KNOW you were missing some entries, unless you manually resized the window.

This lead to so many post on this forum about GSX menu entries supposedly "missing", as if it had something to do with GSX...it didn't, of course, it was just the sim that displayed a window too small to show all the entries, and many users don't realize the window CAN be resized.

Following our suggestions that the menu window should always display all the entries it contains, LM changed the menu behavior in version 3.4 so now, instead of menu items being just cut out, if the menu window (at the size the sim has calculated for the current screen size) is not big enough to show all required items, the SIM will add a "Next..." entry automatically, so you will KNOWN there are other items in the menu that didn't fit in the current size.

Of course, the Window CAN still be resized so, as soon the size is enough to show all the entries, the "Next..." option will disappear, and the menu will show all the 10 items it's supposed to show, at most.

This is of course a big improvement over the previous version, and we hoped this would finally stop the constant flow of questions about "missing GSX menu items", because nobody should assume entries are "missing" now.

If, instead of "missing", you now find the menu difficult to use, just resize the menu window, as you were always supposed to do.

The issue about too much space between the lines, is also something totally outside our control, and again, it will look EXACTLY the same with any other 3rd party app with a menu, like SODE, FS Passengers, VRS TacPack, etc.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:54:59 am by virtuali »

WebMaximus

Re: The look of the GSX window in P3Dv3.4
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 10:43:06 am »
Many thanks Umberto for the thorough answer. I had no idea the popup menus in P3D could be resized but will try it out first thing when I get home after work today!

As for the layout and size of the text, the space between the lines etc I fully understand that is a P3D thing and not a GSX thing. I'm sorry if it sounded like I was saying this would be a GSX issue. I never thought it was but was thinking maybe you would know something about it since your add-on does use menus and I was right...you did know a lot about it :)
Richard Åsberg