Author Topic: FSX:Steam freeze after landing at MDPC requesting services  (Read 27503 times)

sebizart

Re: FSX:Steam freeze after landing at MDPC requesting services
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2016, 11:37:17 am »
Thanks for your help guys,

Now we're waiting for FsLabs update.

Regards,

Sebizart

p3dx3

« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2016, 12:02:25 pm »
Thank you for the help again. I found info about EZdok long ago, they say the crash logs can be ignored. http://www.simforums.com/forums/ezdok-crash-and-error-nder-windows-10_topic54085.html
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 12:19:38 pm by virtuali »

p3dx3

« Reply #32 on: September 14, 2016, 12:02:08 pm »
Thanks for your help guys,

Now we're waiting for FsLabs update.

Regards,

Sebizart

To prevent GSX freezing, taxi to the gate without selecting a gate in the GSX menu, I do not know why this doesn't freeze, since you are still selecting services. But selecting services after parking at the gate it does not freeze. Which is why I originally thought it was a GSX problem. But maybe it could be a conflict with GSX and the FSLabs.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #33 on: September 14, 2016, 12:22:35 pm »
But maybe it could be a conflict with GSX and the FSLabs.

As I've already said to you, we have been in contact with FSLabs and their testers for a while, and nobody ever reported a problem between the two. In fact, we even added a couple of special features for the customization we made for the A320.

So no, I don't think there's a conflict between GSX and FSLabs, I guess it's more likely, in your case, a conflict between FSLabs service and EZDok camera, which cause a crash in FSX which is AFFECTING GSX too (obviously, because an abrupt FSX crash will cause issues to all running addons)

p3dx3

« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2016, 08:54:44 pm »
But the crash happens taxing to the gate and requesting services, not AT the gate. It is very odd. I made some changes to my system and am flying only in window mode for now and I'll see if it fixes that.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 11:11:48 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #35 on: September 14, 2016, 11:18:54 pm »
But the crash happens taxing to the gate and requesting services, not AT the gate.

Doesn't make any difference to GSX, it's creating exactly the same objects using exactly the same code. But I guess the position of the airplane MIGHT make a difference using Ezdok (which IS what's filling your Event Viewer with crashes), and we already verified that, without the FSLabs service, there were no crashes.

Everything in your situation seems to indicate some kind of conflict between the FSLabs and Ezdok camera. And yes, they BOTH are way more critical that GSX would ever be: one it's a Windows service, which runs with an higher privileges than a normal executable, and the other needs to write into the FSX memory to update the camera position.

Maybe there are issues of tread safety at play here. Two programs trying to write the same memory addresses at the same time, which is fairly tricky and full of potential pitfalls:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_safety

In any case, we already established that GSX didn't had anything to do with the crashes, since they happened (we both witnessed this while in Teamviewer) even WITHOUT even calling the GSX menu.

p3dx3

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2016, 11:42:51 am »
I worked with one of the FSLabs developers and he showed me the crash was caused by a bug they are working to fix in FSLabs Spotlight. It crashes the sim when changing window sizes, full screen to window mode, and back. So I now use just window mode and never change to full screen and it does not crash. I am going to fly later today after work back to a scenery that once caused a problem TJSJ, and request services after landing. Hopefully it will not crash.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:59:18 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #37 on: September 16, 2016, 01:01:14 pm »
I worked with one of the FSLabs developers and he showed me the crash was caused by a bug they are working to fix in FSLabs Spotlight.

We already realized it was something in that module. But that doesn't automatically make it a GSX problem.

And, if you remember our Teamviewer session, I asked to call GSX and select a gate when you were on the runway, as if you were just landed, and it didn't crash.

p3dx3

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2016, 04:16:04 pm »
And, if you remember our Teamviewer session, I asked to call GSX and select a gate when you were on the runway, as if you were just landed, and it didn't crash

Maybe the bug only happened when using GSX at the departure airport, pushing back and flying then arriving and calling GSX a second time. I have not had a chance to fly hope to more this week.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 11:58:13 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #39 on: September 19, 2016, 12:01:13 pm »
Maybe the bug only happened when using GSX at the departure airport, pushing back and flying then arriving and calling GSX a second time. I have not had a chance to fly hope to more this week.

It doesn't make any difference. As I've said, so many times already, GSX CANNOT, by definition, cause a crash in FSX, because it runs entirely OUTSIDE of it, under the Couatl.exe interpreter.

A separate executable program CANNOT, by definition, access another executable memory space, which is the ONLY thing that can cause a crash.

As I've said, an object created *BY* FSX (on behalf of GSX), MIGHT cause a crash, but only if you have a problem with video drivers, because surely all the GSX objects are 100% correct and SDK-compliant, and if there was a problem with them, we would have thousands of reports by now.

p3dx3

« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2016, 11:06:29 pm »
It happened again, 2 new flights in 2 days. 2 freezes. Last one right now after landing at ORD. I do not understand how you can tell me this is not something with GSX when the FSX screen freezes but the sounds still play in the back ground. How can it not be GSX? The freezing happens THE SECOND I select my gate, select my ground handling, then select my catering. then... FREEZE. So please explain to me how it is the fault of something else like EZDOK.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 10:01:51 am by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #41 on: September 29, 2016, 10:14:02 am »
I do not understand how you can tell me this is not something with GSX when the FSX screen freezes but the sounds still play in the back ground. How can it not be GSX?

I already explained it to you many times, the problem is that you don't want to accept the explanation. You are AGAIN confusing the symptom with the cause. Fact it's happening after you use GSX, doesn't mean the CAUSE is GSX, it's just that your problem, caused by something else, cannot be discovered because nothing else in your sim is doing anything to trigger it, but that doesn't mean GSX is doing anything "wrong".

Since you don't seem to understand, I'll make you a list of situations that CAN crash your sim, being a fault of OTHER stuff, and will appear ONLY if you select GSX, misleading you "it's GSX":

1) You might have a bug in your audio drivers that don't properly support OpenAL, which is a standard library used by hundreds of games which GSX also uses. Since an audio driver CAN crash FSX, if you have this issue, you will notice a crash the moment you start GSX, because the created vehicles will start playing sounds, and a bugged audio driver might crash, misleading you "it's GSX, because it happened when I selected it"

2) You might have a bug in your video drivers that don't properly support some totally standard features used by GSX (and not many others addons), like vertex skinned animations. Since a video driver CAN crash FSX, if you have this issue, you will notice a crash the moment you start GSX, because the created vehicles will start using these animations, and a bugged video driver might crash, misleading you "it's GSX, because it happened when I selected it"

3) If it happens after a flight, a MEMORY-HUNGRY airplane you are probably using might have a memory leak that requires some time to eat up all your VAS so, after you land and then you call GSX, the additional memory requirement caused by asking for new vehicles + their textures + their sounds, has caused the sim to OOM. Since the Windows memory allocator CAN crash FSX, if you have this issue, you will notice a crash the moment you start GSX, because the created vehicles will use some memory so, if you already were CLOSE to memory exhaustions because of the memory-hungry airplane you are using, the sim will crash, misleading you "it's GSX, because it happened when I selected it"

That's just a very short list of the most obvious things.

Since in our Teamviewer session you weren't able to show me ANY GSX crash when just GSX was running, and from your report it seems to happen after a flight, I'd say you are likely in case #3.

If you can show me a reproducible case of FSX crashing as soon GSX is selected, with no other addons running and with a default plane on a default airport, at the beginning of a flight, I'd be totally interested in another Teamviewer session to see if first hand.

p3dx3

« Reply #42 on: September 29, 2016, 07:29:10 pm »
It does not make sense why another program would be to blame when the freezing starts the second after I request ground services after landing. It is now happening every single time I land and request services. It happened yesterday at your ORD scenery, and today at Orbx KJAC. It is some bug or problem with GSX after landing, since I do not get that freeze when at my departure airport and requesting services, or as I tested when you were on Teamviewer, starting at the runway and requesting services. It only happens when flying from one airport, with requesting services, departing, then landing at another airport and once I request services again, FREEZE. This has become aggravating since it happens ever, single, time.

There are no other freezes at any point in the flight, so it just cannot possibly be caused by anything besides GSX. The fact that I can taxi to the stand, and shut down, then request services, and I do not get a freeze, again, is more proof that the fault is with GSX.

I am not a programmer, and this is your program, it is not a VAS issue either, my vas is well within limits and I am using FSX Steam that dumps unneeded scenery textures.

Yes I could not show it to you, because as I said there, the freezing bug only happens after a flight, do you want me to have a Teamviewer where you are connected for an hour long flight? I can do that but I do not know what you would find except FSX will freeze and I will have to restart because I cannot unfreeze the screen.

I attached the log which does not show anything, it abruptly ends at "Marshaller distance readout disabled by user preferences"

« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 04:28:31 pm by virtuali »

Eisbahn

« Reply #43 on: September 29, 2016, 07:50:52 pm »
It happened again, 2 new flights in 2 days. 2 freezes. Last one right now after landing at ORD. I do not understand how you can tell me this is not something with GSX when the FSX screen freezes but the sounds still play in the back ground. How can it not be GSX? The freezing happens THE SECOND I select my gate, select my ground handling, then select my catering. then... FREEZE. So please explain to me how it is the fault of something else like EZDOK.

These so called freezes are probably caused by FSLabs A320 IAE. Have you tried a default plane?

p3dx3

« Reply #44 on: September 29, 2016, 09:07:41 pm »

These so called freezes are probably caused by FSLabs A320 IAE. Have you tried a default plane?

Then that is still a bug in gsx conflicting with the fslabs. Calling airport services then freezing right after would point to a problem with gsx.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2016, 09:25:40 pm by 413x3 »