Author Topic: Default buildings appear on top of terminals  (Read 5964 times)

deltabgjim

Default buildings appear on top of terminals
« on: August 18, 2016, 04:26:29 pm »
Hello all--

I'm stumped on this one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the KIAH scenery a couple of times with no luck (I'm using FSX-SE).

The FSX default buildings for the terminals continue to show up on top of the FSDT buildings. Because they're not perfectly aligned, this causes aircraft at Terminals C and D in particular to park inside the default buildings.

I have searched for any old KIAH AFCADs with a fine-tooth comb and found nothing. I **CAN** make the problem go away by disabling the "0202" layer in the Scenery Library, but while this fixes KIAH, it makes most of southeast Texas disappear. This would seem to confirm my suspicion that it's not an old AFCAD wreaking havoc, but the default scenery itself.

I do not have this problem with FSDT's scenery for KDFW or PHNL.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
James

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Default buildings appear on top of terminals
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2016, 02:18:29 pm »
I'm stumped on this one. I've uninstalled and reinstalled the KIAH scenery a couple of times with no luck (I'm using FSX-SE).

Well, of course reinstalling/uninstalling KIAH wouldn't fix anything, since the problem is caused by another scenery. Whenever you see BOTH default objects AND the objects from the airport, it's never a problem of the airport, but a problem of another scenery in conflict.

The most common cause of conflicts are AFCAD supplied with AI Traffic packages like MyTraffic or TrafficX or similar. Those are supposed to be used only with the default scenery, but must be removed if using an addon airport.

Check their folders for an AFCAD that has a name related to KIAH.

Another way to check for conflicts, is to use the free Simple Airport Scanner utility:

http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

deltabgjim

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2016, 04:00:04 pm »
I ran Simple Airport Scanner, and it found nothing for KIAH. I use Ultimate Traffic 2, which doesn't install its own AFCADs. As I mentioned, in addition to using the ScruffyDuck tool, I did go through my Addon Scenery folders to look for old AFCADs and have found none for KIAH.

Again, the only scenery I can identify that conflicts with your product is the Microsoft default scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2016, 05:13:47 pm »
Again, the only scenery I can identify that conflicts with your product is the Microsoft default scenery.

There aren't any conflict between the AFCAD we supply with the scenery and the default one, since they are obviously designed and tested to work together.

So, the only possible explanation, assuming you did the search correctly and there isn't any other AFCAD for KIAH except the default one (which WORKS together with the FSDT one) and the FSDT one, is that you have a non-AFCAD scenery in conflict, one that cannot be found by the Simple Airport Scanner utility, so it's just a generic .BGL, that can only be found manually.

And of course, I assume you are using the KIAH AFCAD as we supplied it, with no modifications.

deltabgjim

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2016, 12:14:36 am »
I did the search correctly, thanks. I am also using the AFCAD provided by FSDT.

To illustrate my point, the first screenshot below shows what I get when I turn off EVERY scenery layer except FSDT KIAH and all the Microsoft default ones. The second shows what I get when I turn off scenery layer "0202" from the Microsoft default layers.

There are no BGL files in the 0202 scenery subfolder except the Microsoft-supplied ones with modified dates of August 2006.

I cannot identify any source for those extraneous buildings other than the Microsoft default scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2016, 11:17:02 am »
There are no BGL files in the 0202 scenery subfolder except the Microsoft-supplied ones with modified dates of August 2006.

Than it means the conflicting scenery is on another folder.

I cannot identify any source for those extraneous buildings other than the Microsoft default scenery.

As I've said, the default scenery cannot be the cause of this problem. You are being mislead thinking it is, because by disabling it the problem goes away, but the default scenery, alone, is not the cause.

Our AFCAD will disable every object from the default scenery. Provided, of course, KIAH is on an higher layer in the Scenery Library, which where the installer place it. If you moved it down, all bets are off...

Assuming KIAH is higher than any other layer in the scenery library, it's 100% sure the problem is caused by ANOTHER SCENERY, and NOT by the default one.

This scenery might have defined conflicting exclusion zones, making our exclusion zones ineffective so, the default buildings will pop-up, misleading you about the fact they are the problem, just because the buildings go away if you disable the default scenery.

In fact, you should NOT disable the default scenery, because KIAH is DESIGNED to work TOGETHER with it. If you disable the default scenery, you will likely lose all the instrumental approaches, and of course, you'll lose ALL the default airports that are included in that folder. And even if you disable *just* the .BGL belonging to KIAH, you will still lose several airports, since default AFCADs usually contain more than one airport.

So no, the default scenery is not the problem, and should NOT be disabled. You must be sure the KIAH area in the Scenery Library is on top of everything else (or at least, on top of every that MIGHT cause a problem), and you must be sure you don't have a conflicting scenery *everywhere*, not just in the default areas folders.

deltabgjim

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2016, 11:53:42 pm »
I understand that I ought not disable the default scenery--I've been using MSFS since the DOS days. I'm simply illustrating the problem. I'm sure that you designed the scenery to be 100% bug free, but no software ever is. All I've ever asked for here is some technical support for product I've paid for.

As it happens, it took me a very long time, but I did finally find another BGL file that's causing the conflict, and it's one from FSDreamTeam.

There are two CVX BGL files in my D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\fsdreamteam\KIAH\Scenery folder. I disabled CVX_kiah.BGL (which has a date modified of 3/11/14), and now the terminals appear correctly.

As you say, of course uninstalling/reinstalling KIAH (including deleting any residual files the uninstaller missed) didn't help, because the installer keeps reinstalling this CVX file.

I'll keep an eye out as always for patches on the website.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 11:42:42 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 11:42:53 pm »
I'm sure that you designed the scenery to be 100% bug free, but no software ever is

Sure, but that doesn't mean this is a bug. We always fix our bugs, this one is not.

All I've ever asked for here is some technical support for product I've paid for.

You HAVE being supported for a product you paid for, even if the problem is not caused by it!!

As it happens, it took me a very long time, but I did finally find another BGL file that's causing the conflict, and it's one from FSDreamTeam.

No, it's not.

There are two CVX BGL files in my D:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\FSX\fsdreamteam\KIAH\Scenery folder. I disabled CVX_kiah.BGL (which has a date modified of 3/11/14), and now the terminals appear correctly.

And that's is exactly how they are supposed to be. There must be two files, they contains different kind of data, they must both be used, and the scenery won't work properly if you don't leave both of them as they are.

You are making the same error as before, with the removal of the default .BGL file: just because the problem "seems" to go away, you are assuming the removed the file was the culprit.

It's not. The problem shouldn't happen, unless you have something else in conflict.

We have been distributing both files since KIAH has been released, don't you find odd that, if the problem was "caused" by one of our .BGLs, we would have:

- Plenty of identical reports by now ?

AND

- Fixed it a long time ago ?

Of course, I have all files in place, and cannot see any default objects. Whenever you have default objects popping through on any airport, it's never a problem in the airport itself, but it's always something else.