Author Topic: Is there ANY WAY I can use this scenery I purchased?  (Read 5834 times)

IndependenceFAN

Is there ANY WAY I can use this scenery I purchased?
« on: December 22, 2008, 09:38:03 pm »
I am flying to Chicago O'hare (again) tomorrow, and I would really like to be able to use the scenery that I purchased 9 months ago.

Because 9 months ago I said "no" to the security pop-up when FSX loaded up, that ruined everything permanently, apparently. The reason for this, is because I had heard of Addon Manager before, and did not realize that in order to use this scenery, I MUST use Addon manager. After re-installing my FSX SP2 many, many times, it still does not work. The amount of time altogether that I have tried fixing this is sickening.

Is there ANY WAY that I can use this product?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Is there ANY WAY I can use this scenery I purchased?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2008, 01:00:45 am »
Well, if you asked here, instead of trying to fix the problem yourself, you might have saved some time, not to mention that if you read the manual, which of course explain quite clearly that the Addon Manager is needed to run the scenery and it has to be allowed to run, you wouldn't ended up in this situation to begin with.

To make FSX "forget" about the fact that you rejected a module, you need to go to this folder:

%APPDATA%\Microsoft\FSX   (just type this on the Start ->"Run..." white box and press Enter

The FSX local settings folder should open. Open the FS9.CFG with any text editor (Notepad is just fine), and search for all lines that have a bglmanx.dll in it.

Delete EVERY *whole* line that has a bglmanx.dll reference inside, then save the file and exit, then launch FSX again.

Now, on the first run, it should repeat the original question about wanting to trust the Addon Manager module, and this time, reply Yes, please...

Don't worry if the *first* time it doesn't show up or it gives you an error, just exit and launch FSX again, it will work the next time.

IndependenceFAN

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2008, 07:30:38 am »
virtuali:  You have already given this "advice" to me months ago, I guess you don't remember.  I tried it... MULTIPLE times, and still did not work.   I think you  MIGHT have an answer to a problem I am not asking...

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2008, 12:49:07 pm »
You can't expect I remember all the answer I give, months after!

However, I'm sorry but I don't have any other explanation than that one. Of course, I'm sure that by reinstalling FSX or Windows the problem will be fixed.

The Addon Manager DID run at least once, because otherwise you wouldn't be able to purchase the scenery in the first place...

IndependenceFAN

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2008, 09:36:22 pm »
Ok, as said before, re-installing flight simulator NUMEROUS times has not helped. 

Next time you make an add-on, basically telling someone "tough s h i..." is PROBABLY not the best idea.

Have a wonderful Christmas, now that you have my $35, why would you care if it works on my comp?

Go to REX's forums, and see how real customer service should be provided.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2008, 11:04:57 pm »
I'm sorry, but you simply CAN'T say, on Christmas Eve, after having disappeared for months, that you now have a problem that you need to be fixed ( which is created by something that obviously wasn't present when you bought the product, because you can't buy it without having the software running), that we don't do adequate product support because, saying so, you are only embarassing yourself, because everybody knows we have the best support around and the fastest reaction time ever. It's YOU that decided to stay "months" without using the program but, if you don't say it, how are we supposed to know you still can't use it ?

So, please, save yourself from trying to compare to any other developer, because we don't need to learn anything from anyone, when customer support is involved.

Now, let's try to understand what your local problem is. And please, don't disappear for 9 months this time around...

Ok, as said before, re-installing flight simulator NUMEROUS times has not helped. 

And, as I've said instead, it's not sure that reinstalling FSX would have fix it either, but in some cases this would be related to Windows.

When YOU (you did this, have you realize it or not ?) decide NOT TO TRUST a module, it's a two-fold process. The first part you are telling *Windows* itself not to trust a module and if you say "no", FSX will not ask further. If you say "Yes" to Windows, you can still say "No" in FSX and THIS answer is the one that gets recorded by FSX.

For the Windows part of the issue, you can try changing this registry key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WinTrust\Trust Providers\Software Publishing

using REGEDIT

The default value is 0x23c00 (23c00 hexadecimal). If you see any other value, try to change it to back 0x23c00. We don't have any idea which other software might have change this, but it's entirely unrelated to flight simulation, and of course a Windows reinstall would have fixed it, but it's worth trying this first.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 11:08:06 pm by virtuali »