Author Topic: Separating audio for voice  (Read 3585 times)

portanav

• Retired (BWIA-Caribbean Airlines)
    • My Boeing B738NG Sim Build.
Separating audio for voice
« on: August 11, 2016, 02:49:09 pm »
Would it be possible to separate the (audio) voices for engineer (push back) and passenger boarding or disembarking. This would enhance the reality buy having audio coming from the front speakers (cockpit) for the engineer, and rear speakers (cabin) for the passengers. Maybe by allowing separate selections of audio devices for each group of voices.

If this could be applied and made available in a future update?

Thanks.
regards, MICHAEL.

System: Win10/64, I7/6400, GTX 1080, P3Dv5.2, Prosim737 v2.31, Prosim Flt. Model B738

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Separating audio for voice
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2016, 12:11:40 am »
GSX already supports fully 3d positional audio, since its first release. Each sound in GSX is not just coming from the "front" or "back" speakers, that would be far too crude. Each and every sound in GSX is FULLY positional, meaning it has an assigned 3D position in the world.

So, for example, passenger sounds DO come from a point in the cabin, the sound the catering cart does is coming exactly from were the catering vehicle is located, etc. And, of course, their position is compared at each frame against your eyepoint position and orientation, so the effect is entirely realistic.

In addition to that, some sounds are flagged as "cockpit" sounds, so they are represented to come from the cockpit or the captain headphones, without a definite position in the world.

Of course, in order to hear all of this, you must have a sound system capable of running positional audio correctly, like a 5.1 speaker system, or a 5.1/7.1 headphone.

portanav

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2016, 06:45:48 pm »
GSX already supports fully 3d positional audio, since its first release. Each sound in GSX is not just coming from the "front" or "back" speakers, that would be far too crude. Each and every sound in GSX is FULLY positional, meaning it has an assigned 3D position in the world.

So, for example, passenger sounds DO come from a point in the cabin, the sound the catering cart does is coming exactly from were the catering vehicle is located, etc. And, of course, their position is compared at each frame against your eyepoint position and orientation, so the effect is entirely realistic.

In addition to that, some sounds are flagged as "cockpit" sounds, so they are represented to come from the cockpit or the captain headphones, without a definite position in the world.

Of course, in order to hear all of this, you must have a sound system capable of running positional audio correctly, like a 5.1 speaker system, or a 5.1/7.1 headphone.

HI;

Sorry to say but the sounds may be 3d, but (the most important ones) the voices all come from the center speaker.
I purchased a 5.1 system configured the sound system 5.1, ran the speaker test - all correct. All the voices, cabin and push-back engineer come from the center speaker in the cockpit; not the rear speakers to simulate boarding in the cabin.

I checked with other GSX users with 5.1 systems and all say the same thing.

Maybe some more work is needed to get the separation correct?

Thanks.
regards, MICHAEL.

System: Win10/64, I7/6400, GTX 1080, P3Dv5.2, Prosim737 v2.31, Prosim Flt. Model B738

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:09 pm »
Sorry to say but the sounds may be 3d, but (the most important ones) the voices all come from the center speaker. I purchased a 5.1 system configured the sound system 5.1, ran the speaker test - all correct. All the voices, cabin and push-back engineer come from the center speaker in the cockpit; not the rear speakers to simulate boarding in the cabin.

It's not clear from your message if:

- You have ALL the GSX sounds correctly positioned in 3d EXCEPT for the voices of the boarding passengers

OR

- You have *every* GSX sounds coming from the center, which leads to believe your 5.1 setup is not configured correctly.

For example, when you call catering, can you hear the metallic sound of the catering cart wheels passing on the raised catwalk in 3D ?

portanav

Re: Re: Separating audio for voice
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2016, 01:07:38 am »
All voices come from center speaker, and associated services sounds come from forward speakers. It would be better if voices and services sounds come from rear speakers.  Sitting in the flight deck that is where you hear these sounds in real world.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:30:53 am by virtuali »
regards, MICHAEL.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2016, 01:35:33 am »
All voices come from center speaker

You still haven't replied to my question. I haven't asked about the voices, I asked about the OTHER GSX sounds. Please re-ready my previous post carefully, and reply. Pay attention to this part of the question:

For example, when you call catering, can you hear the metallic sound of the catering cart wheels passing on the raised catwalk in 3D ?

I'm trying to check if your 3D sound is configured correctly. No, I'm not implying that you don't know how to configure it, since you said the sound test works.

However, that's not telling much. GSX works with OpenAL so, in order to work in 5.1, your sound device must support OpenAl fully, in 3D mode.

That's why I've asked about that specific sound, since that is SURELY programmed to be 3D. If you move your viewpoint and look to the left, since the catering vehicle is positioned on the right, that sound should come from BEHIND you. Does it ?
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 01:37:36 am by virtuali »

portanav

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2016, 10:26:21 am »

For example, when you call catering, can you hear the metallic sound of the catering cart wheels passing on the raised catwalk in 3D
If you move your viewpoint and look to the left, since the catering vehicle is positioned on the right, that sound should come from BEHIND you. Does it ?

No it does not. It comes from the front right.

I am using an Sound Blaster Creative Audigy FX 5.1 Sound Card with a Logitech Z506 Speaker System.

Extracted from SB 5.1 Manual:
SBX Pro Studio Surround provides immersion control of sounds not just around you, but also
above and below for a full 3D audio experience. Hear the natural sense of audio depth, spaciousness
and stunning 3D surround effects from your audio content. Enjoy an unbelievably true-to-life audio
experience, whether it's over stereo speakers or headphones.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:54:57 am by portanav »
regards, MICHAEL.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2016, 02:30:06 pm »
I am using an Sound Blaster Creative Audigy FX 5.1 Sound Card with a Logitech Z506 Speaker System.

Extracted from SB 5.1 Manual:
SBX Pro Studio Surround provides immersion control of sounds not just around you

It doesn't say anything about supporting 3D sound in OpenAL. Which should be, since Creative is one of the sponsors of it. Are you sure it's configured it correctly for 3D sound in Games, not just DVD/Movies ?

Do you hear 3D sound effects in other OpenAL games ? Here's a list of them:

https://www.openal.org/games/