Author Topic: GSX installing in wrong folder  (Read 3229 times)

Tobus

GSX installing in wrong folder
« on: June 22, 2016, 10:38:32 pm »
I have recently uninstalled FSX boxed and all affiliated programs via uninstaller, including GSX.

I now have FSX:SE installed. When I try to reinstall GSX, the installer shows me via the colored icon I only have FSX:SE installed.
When I mouse-over this icon, it shows me the correct folder in which FSX:SE is installed.

Upon clicking it however, GSX wants to install in the no longer existing FSX boxed folder, and happily does so.
The browse button for manual entry of the folder does not work. So now I have a GSX which I can install all I like, but to a folder where it'll do jack sh!t  ;D ???

Any pointers on how to solve this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: GSX installing in wrong folder
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2016, 11:00:43 am »
Are you sure you are using the current installer ?

Tobus

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2016, 11:27:52 am »
Well, yes, but if you are in doubt about that I can go ahead and redownload it. Will report when done.

Tobus

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2016, 08:26:14 pm »
Newest installer from the site has the same issue.

But ... I did a search on my old FSX folder in regedit and found that microsoft flightsimulator 10 still had a registry linking to the old folder. This next to my new FSX:SE registry folder setting. I changed the old version by putting in the new folder name and GSX installer now mentions the correct folder.

I dont know the cause in my registry. In uninstalled perfectly normal via the remove software options in windows. All other addons so far have gone ok to the new install folder. So I expect there's still a bug in the new installer about possible old FSX boxed installs?

I've added screenshots of the situation, the installer showing only a colored FSX:SE icon and the correct folder.
After clicking you see it telling me it will be installed in the old folder.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2016, 10:31:08 pm »
I dont know the cause in my registry. In uninstalled perfectly normal via the remove software options in windows. All other addons so far have gone ok to the new install folder. So I expect there's still a bug in the new installer about possible old FSX boxed installs?

There's no bug in the installer, and I think you didn't had just a wrong registry entry. The installer won't install anywhere the registry points to. It ALSO checks for a valid FSX.EXE to be there, otherwise it won't install or activate the icon, even if the registry keys points to some folder.

So, I guess you had an FSX.EXE, in addition to the old registry key pointing to it, which is not normal, but might happen if you manually replaced the FSX.EXE. In this case, the normal FSX unistaller won't remove it, since uninstallers will only remove files *they* installed, not those manually added aftwerwards.

Tobus

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2016, 10:15:41 am »
No something that happend on my watch, but ok. From where I stand I saw both an FSX and FSX:SE entry in my registry.
The old FSX one pointed to the old folder now no longer in existence, thanks to a normal uninstall via the "remove software" of FSX boxed.
Whatever the reason, the old registry pointing to the old folder has not uninstalled with it from the registry.

That the installer of GSX visually tells me ONLY FSX:SE is installed, and visually showing me the correct folder of that installation by a mouse-over, but after selecting tells me it will in a no longer existing folder different from the one shown before selecting, seems wrong to me.
Whatever you feel about it: showing one folder to install in, then actually doing it in another, is a bug.

Now I have figured it out and GSX is nicely installed and working correctly. Do what you will with this information, thanks for your assistance.