Author Topic: Want moving jetways back/remove static jetways  (Read 6864 times)

himmelskind

Want moving jetways back/remove static jetways
« on: June 09, 2016, 02:09:59 am »
Hello,

I recently reinstalled KIAH,as it did not display correctly anymore
and I got error messages - as I assume due to the new addon-manager,
that came with KMEM.
Now I miss the moving jetways,that the "old" version had.

I have to say,I was very happy with the KIAH scenery as it was,
namely the moving jetways were the best you ever made,
beautifully modelled and well moving - not sinking into the ground
as in other FSDT sceneries with the exception of KORD.

Actually I got the moving jetways back now by placing the old AFX-file in a higher
priority in the scenery cfg.

But now I have double jetways,moving and static ones.

So is there a way to remove the static jetways?

Or if not could you provide a download-link for the "old" version of KIAH please?!

Best regards,Jens P.

himmelskind

Re: Want moving jetways back/remove static jetways
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 03:09:41 am »
I just want to add,why I prefer the old moving jetways.

One point that I experience an airport scenery as realistic
is that the jetways connect to the parked aircrafts -
so in our virtual world also to the ai-planes.

In the real world you will not find an airport with all jetways
retracted-should the passengers jump out the planes?

So it is a great thing,that FSX jetways move automatically
to the ai-planes.
And is the default-jetway ugly and moves awkward, you developed
it in great way(Fly-Tampa and Flightbeam also did in their latest sceneries).

There are sceneries with SODE,where ai-planes are served by jetways
like KATL or Warsaw,so even that is possible.

Anyway,as stated above I would be happy,if I just could keep my KIAH scenery
as it was.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 02:57:59 pm »
There are sceneries with SODE,where ai-planes are served by jetways like KATL or Warsaw,so even that is possible.

I have already explained here the reasons why we purposely limited the jetway to the user airplane here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,13679.msg101605.html#

And even our own "classic" jetways, the number of AIs served was in any case limited by LOD (only the closest LODs were animated) and in my view, it's WORSE having a LOD-popup with the jetway constantly changing from attached/detached (depending on your view distance) than having no animated jetway to begin with.

So no, this is not going to change. We integrated jetways in GSX. They are not a feature of the scenery anymore, and everything in GSX works around the concept of "your own activated parking" only, not AI. Which is a GREAT way to save VAS and fps.

Anyway,as stated above I would be happy,if I just could keep my KIAH scenery as it was.

This will require some work our part, to allow the ability to select between the two systems AND provide with two different AFCADs. We'll see what we can do, but I cannot make any promises about any timeline.

The only thing I can do as a stopgap, temporary "you are on your own" fix, is the attached file, which is the latest script for KIAH without SODE jetways. It must be used together with the old AFCAD and it will overwritten with every update we'll release.

Place it in the FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl\KIAH folder
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 03:26:59 pm by virtuali »

himmelskind

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2016, 02:58:56 am »
Thank you very much Umberto,

the attached file worked and removed the static
jetways!

I would appreciate it very much, if in future releases
I had the choice between the "traditional" moving
jetway system and the new SODE/GSX static one.

Actually I was disappointed that KMEM came without
moving jetways but I understand your argumentation,
and if not more people miss the old moving jetways,
you shurely feel encouraged to go on the new way...

Keep up the good work!

Regards,Jens P.

dc10boy

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2016, 05:05:17 pm »
Thank you for the new .init for IAH.I have to second the motion by Jens P. that in future updated we have the option of choosing old or new SODE jetways.
A number of us have invested significant time modifying our own AFCADS to match our particular traffic scenarios. It would be a shame to lose all the time and work invested in these every time a scenery is updated.The sad truth is I'm becoming afraid to buy anything that used the Couatl/esellerate engine anymore. every time I add something that uses this, I know I will have to invest time to fix whatever the new updates have broken.
True to form, after buying Hawaii airports v2, I had to reinstall KIAH and fight the addon manager to reactvate several other airports.Please don't get me wrong, I love the sceneries you guys make and they are worth the work.
Stan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2016, 02:24:35 pm »
A number of us have invested significant time modifying our own AFCADS to match our particular traffic scenarios. It would be a shame to lose all the time and work invested in these every time a scenery is updated.

I don't see what AFCAD has anything to do with this. The only difference between an AFCAD made for SODE and an AFCAD with FSX standard jetways are...you guessed it...the jetways!

So, if you really want to edit the AFCAD yourself, what stops you from removing the FSX jetways that we remade with SODE from YOUR custom AFCAD ? This way, you can have SODE jetways AND your modifications.

The sad truth is I'm becoming afraid to buy anything that used the Couatl/esellerate engine anymore. every time I add something that uses this, I know I will have to invest time to fix whatever the new updates have broken.

??? What the AFCAD has anything to do with Couatl and ESPECIALLY, Esellerate ? The AFCAD is one of the few things that is entirely unrelated to them.

I think you are confusing the fact our installers, as a feature, ASK YOU if you want to download updated AFCAD, with the rest of the software support (Couatl, etc.), but they are entirely unrelated.

And, even if the installers ASK you if you want to update the AFCAD, they will ALSO do a backup of your existing AFCAD, so nothing of your eventual customization will ever be "lost".

dc10boy

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 11:54:35 pm »
Umberto, I understand the AFCADS had nothing to do with the other COUATL issues.My issue is like Jens said I liked the old jetways better.I would not have downloaded the updated version  either.When I installed Hawaiian airportsV2 the installer updated COUATL.This update caused the various T1,T2 errors decrypting forcing me to update IAH.When I reinstalled my custom AFCAD, voila double jetways.After that, I found DFW wouldn't work either and had to fix that as well. Oh well, such is life.
Stan

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 11:54:55 am »
When I reinstalled my custom AFCAD, voila double jetways.

Which is why, I said:

If you really want to edit the AFCAD yourself, what stops you from removing the FSX jetways that we remade with SODE from YOUR custom AFCAD ? This way, you can have SODE jetways AND your modifications.

I'll repeat it again: the KIAH update and the SODE addition to it, won't affect your ability to customize the ACAD in any way, unless you particularly like the defalt FSX jetways for some reason....(everybody seemed to hate them...)