Author Topic: Major Bounce **SOLVED - P3D bug when Avatar is disabled**  (Read 16969 times)

FlyingAce

Re: Major Bounce
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2016, 04:27:17 pm »
Oh really? Well, I'm sorry to tell you but YOU'RE WRONG!!! I don't think I have the latest Addon Manager, I KNOW I have the latest Addon Manager. It was downloaded and installed on September 30th and here's the proof. I've even attached a screen shot of windows file explorer showing the date the file was added to my computer. I'd like to see how you're going to argue this.

http://i.imgur.com/OPUgNMU.jpg

I already explained a possible reason why, even if you installed it now (so you are assuming you have installed it), you might still have the outdated version, because your antivirus/firewall might have blocked the download of the current one.

No Umberto, I'm not assuming anything. You're the one making the assumptions and once again you're wrong. As proven above and in my video below, I don't have an outdated version and FYI, I ALWAYS deactivate my antivirus and firewall when I install new software.

Since the only two possible causes are these ones, and I confirmed that

Wrong!!! And here's the proof.

I already replied to all the questions

No you didn't. I will ask you again. Are you going to allow me to re-post my questions and will you respond to them without you deleting them, YES OR NO? If not, then I would like a full refund of all the money I have paid you for your products.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 04:52:32 pm by virtuali »
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2016, 04:52:11 pm »
Oh really? Well, I'm sorry to tell you but YOU'RE WRONG!!! I don't think I have the latest Addon Manager, I KNOW I have the latest Addon Manager. It was downloaded and installed on September 30th and here's the proof. I've even attached a screen shot of windows file explorer showing the date the file was added to my computer. I'd like to see how you're going to argue this.

There's nothing to "argue" here: you do have the latest Addon Manager (and it was correct for me to ask you to double check it), which only means in your case, the problem is something else, which is neither OrbX or the outdated Addon Manager.

Do you have the Avatar disabled in the General options ?

The Addon Manager asks the sim if the Avatar is inside or outside the airplane, and it handles the ground based if the avatar is outside the airplane or inside but, maybe, if the whole Avatar feature is disabled, is possible that Simconnect is not setting the variable correctly, so the program thinks you are outside the plane in Avatar mode, even if the Avatar is disabled.

EDIT:

I checked it, and it's indeed what is happening! I CAN reproduce it too: if you DISABLE the Avatar in the General options, Simconnect incorrectly reports as if you were with the Avatar outside the plane, and THIS causes the ground bouncing. When the Avatar is enabled, the variable is correctly updated.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 05:32:54 pm by virtuali »

FlyingAce

« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2016, 06:11:52 pm »
There's nothing to "argue" here: you do have the latest Addon Manager (and it was correct for me to ask you to double check it)

But you were so SURE that these are the ONLY two causes why this is happening and supposedly, you CONFIRMED it. Those were your exact words...

Since the only two possible causes are these ones, and I confirmed that

I checked it, and it's indeed what is happening! I CAN reproduce it too: if you DISABLE the Avatar in the General options, Simconnect incorrectly reports as if you were with the Avatar outside the plane, and THIS causes the ground bouncing. When the Avatar is enabled, the variable is correctly updated.

I concur with your findings. This is indeed what was happening and now that I have the avatar option enabled, the bounce no longer happens at CYVR or KLAX. Congratulations you solved it! That said however, I still do not agree with your method of dealing with a dissatisfied paying customer and your level of customer service. You were wrong all along. It was never the other add-ons as you kept insisting. You were so sure of yourself and came across as very arrogant. As a paying customer, it was very infuriating and frustrating being treated as if I'm stupid and I'm sure there are others who felt the same way. I hope this incident has humbled you a little bit and made you realize that you're not always right and that you should treat your paying customers with more respect.

That said, I'm curious about something now. In your own words, you said that you can guarantee that FSDT products work fine with a fresh install of FSX and P3D. Well, now that you know the real cause of this issue, do you still stand behind those words or do you now blame P3D for being the cause?

Finally, I would appreciate if you would stop editing/omitting parts of my posts. These are my words and you have no right to change/delete them. I'm not using profanity or making any false accusations. I was merely stating the facts and it turns out I was right all along. You can't just delete people's words just because you feel challenged or confronted by them.

Anyway, congratulations again on solving this mystery and I guess this matter is now closed.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:18:23 pm by FlyingAce »
Tony B.

i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, 16GB RAM, ASUS GTX1070 GPU with 8GB VRAM, 500GB Samsung 850 PRO SSD, 2 ASUS 24" monitors and 1 Samsung 19" monitor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2016, 06:31:36 pm »
You were wrong all along

It wasn't caused by a "problem" in our software. That what I was saying all along. You said you were sure it was a problem with our coding, which wasn't the case.

It was never the other add-ons as you kept insisting.

The Orbx issue was just one of the possible causes I indicated.

I added a 2nd one, the outdated Addon Manager, and since this wasn't either, the only possible explanation left, was that sim itself reporting a standard documented variable in the wrong way. Since I was *sure* there was no bug in our software (because it WAS fixed in the June 15th update!!), the only possible explanation left, was a bug in the sim.

And in fact, that's exactly what is happening.

That said, I'm curious about something now. In your own words, you said that you can guarantee that FSDT products work fine with a fresh install of FSX and P3D. Well, now that you know the real cause of this issue, do you still stand behind those words or do you now blame P3D for being the cause?

Sure. By default, the Avatar mode is Enabled, so on a default installation, you should never come across with that specific P3D bug and, of course, we assumed that, since one of KMEM most prominent features was the support for it, users would have it enabled it, which is the default setting.

Anyway, congratulations again on solving this mystery and I guess this matter is now closed.

I thank you for your insistence too, which lead me to research into the "impossible" ( a P3D bug ), since we seemed to have exhausted all the "possible" options.

I also reported the issue in the LM support forum:

http://www.prepar3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6310&t=122196

So, hopefully, if they fix it, it would never happen again, that a customer using KMEM with the Avatar disabled, won't mistakenly assume there's a problem with it, when in fact it's a P3D bug.

And yes, just in case LM won't fix it, we already have an alternative solution ready, which is hacking into the sim to check if the Avatar is disabled, but I rather not using it, both because it's a potentially messy solution that would require updating the Addon Manager for each new build of the sim, and in general I would rather stay away from using undocumented features and direct memory access. This because the sim doesn't tell us (using documented methods) if the Avatar is disabled, so we cannot know for certain if we can rely on the value of the official variable.

So, the best solution would be that LM would fix it on their side, also because OTHER addons might also need to rely on that value to be correct, so something else out there might have issues if it's relying on the sim to provide the correct information about the avatar status.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2016, 06:40:01 pm by virtuali »