Author Topic: Blended Flatten for Switzerland Pro X inside!  (Read 18709 times)

Andydigital

Blended Flatten for Switzerland Pro X inside!
« on: December 14, 2008, 11:43:31 am »
Just a heads up to say that a blended flatten is required for Geneva to make it fit properly with Switzerland Pro X. Please see the pictures below to see what it looks like.

« Last Edit: December 15, 2008, 11:56:10 am by Andydigital »

Cheers,
Andy.

Alessandro

• Global Moderator
  • FSdreamteam developer
Re: Blended Flatten required with Switzerland Pro X
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2008, 12:01:16 pm »
The problem is on your mesh , LSGG is at the correct altitude. The standard mesh of FSX use a special tecnique to blend the real altitude with the flatten of the airport, this tecnique is used only from Microsoft for this reason I consider the standard mesh the best choice.

Alessandro.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 12:07:16 pm by Alessandro »

Andydigital

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2008, 02:36:10 pm »
That wasn't the answer I was looking for, but thank you for answering anyway. I will endeavour to make my own blended flatten at some point and make it available as freeware to all Switzerland Pro X customers at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Andy.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2008, 02:56:17 pm »
That wasn't the answer I was looking for, but thank you for answering anyway.

That was the only answer you could get, since there are two issues at play here, and both contributes to the problem:

1) Meshes doesn't always have the correct altitude. All meshes have some kind of vertical error, depending on source data. In order to overcome this, Microsoft default mesh has been pre-processed to "smooth" the elevation differences between the airport and the surrounding mesh, for a number of miles around each airport.

I don't know if other mesh developers use this method but, if they don't, it's almost sure to have the "plateau" effect around the airport. Of course, provided the airport HAS the correct altitude, which in case of Geneva is 1411 ft, like in our scenery.

Which bring us to the 2nd issue:

2) FSX/9 airport can't be sloped, an airport is supposed to have the same altitude all over its area, otherwise there would be huge problems with floating AI, flickering terrain, etc. Geneva, in real life has a mildly sloped runway, which is also located slightly below the main apron because the two ends are at 1407 and 1365 ft, the main apron, which is also the "official" published altitude, is at 1411 ft.  

We might have chosen some kind of halfway value between 1365 and 1411, but it would have been wrong at all places, and might complicate things like AFCAD, AI, alternate AFCADs made by users, etc.

So, we don't really have any other choice that placing the scenery at 1411 ft but of course, if an underlying mesh is representing the sloped terrain AND it also adds its own error factor, such problem are likely to happen. You don't noticed that with the default mesh, because of the above pre-processing.

I will endeavour to make my own blended flatten at some point and make it available as freeware to all Switzerland Pro X customers at some point in the future.

This is good, and it (IMHO) should have been done by Swiss Pro developers, because the thing that has to be fixed is the mesh, the airports can't really be put at any other altitude than the official published one. They might have used a similar technique Microsoft used to smooth out elevation differences between airports and mesh, which is probably what you will need to do to fix the problem.

If and when FS engine will finally support sloped terrain for runways/aprons, these problem will be hopefully gone.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 07:00:55 pm by virtuali »

Andydigital

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2008, 10:29:34 pm »
My work here is done ;D Please find the fix for this issue attached. FSDT please feel free to host this file for download by Switzerland Pro X customers.

Install the attached bgl file to the folder *:\Microsoft Games\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\fsdreamteam\LSGG\Scenery

Cheers,
Andy.

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 10:51:41 am by Andydigital »

Cheers,
Andy.

Flyingnut

• Flyingnut
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 11:10:40 pm »
Is this something that could be done for FS9 and new the Swiss Pro?

Marty
Marty
PPL - Instrument Rating

Andydigital

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 11:14:27 pm »
To be honest I'm not sure, I started scenery design with FSX, I would have thought it was possible though as most of the tools available for FSX are based on FS9 tools and earlier. I'm sure someone else will be along to answer your question at some point.

I know one thing for sure though its a slow laborious process, it took me about 6 hours to fix it for FSX.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 11:17:11 pm by Andydigital »

Cheers,
Andy.

skydriver

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2008, 06:14:05 am »
Hi Andy, great job on this mesh correction. What tool did you use to fix it?

Core i7 860 @2.8Ghz, 4GB DDR3 2000mhz, EVGA GTX 280 1GB, ASUS P7P55D MB, Win 7 64bit, 22" @ 1600x1200

Andydigital

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2008, 09:51:04 am »
Hi thanks Skydriver, I use SbuilderX its a little complicated to use but I find far easier to use than the other tools available out there.

Cheers,
Andy.

bluebird

Re: Blended Flatten for Switzerland Pro X inside!
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2009, 08:20:13 pm »
Hello,thanks for your great job on this mesh correction. Regards  :) :) :)

Andydigital

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2009, 08:27:15 pm »
Thanks, you are welcome.

Cheers,
Andy.

gdavej

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2009, 04:53:01 am »
Many thanks for this correction.

Fabiosko

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 10:31:31 pm »
really great job!!!!
thank you very very much indeed!!!

ciaooo
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 11:58:24 pm by fabiosko »
Fabio Poles
i7 4770K@4.8, Sabertooth Z87, Gainward 780 GLH, 8G GSkill C9, 7Pro64-PCie 240G, Sim-VR 1T