Author Topic: KMEM Stuttering  (Read 53319 times)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KMEM Stuttering
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2016, 02:01:05 pm »
Its a trademark FSDT thing.

Which allows you to have a scenery that, if was loaded at all once like any other non-FSDT scenery out there, even if it could fit entirely in memory (there's no way it could), it would have abysmal fps.

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2016, 03:07:02 pm »
You'd better talk to your attorney, Umberto. A lot of other developers are infringing on your trademark.   ;D :D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

markjans

« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2016, 08:25:11 am »
Here's another report of someone who experiences stutters on final approach and on take off. I do understand everything that's said in this topic, but stuttering is far more than average compared to other high-end sceneries like FlightBeam's KSFO or similar. I'm on P3D v3.3 running an OC'd 6700K on 4.6 GHz with SSD and other high-end components. Is there anything that can be done to reduce this?

Mark

HeadlessHershel

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2016, 07:42:37 pm »
Here's another report of someone who experiences stutters on final approach and on take off. I do understand everything that's said in this topic, but stuttering is far more than average compared to other high-end sceneries like FlightBeam's KSFO or similar. I'm on P3D v3.3 running an OC'd 6700K on 4.6 GHz with SSD and other high-end components. Is there anything that can be done to reduce this?

Mark
Im wondering the same thing. Most of my stutters occur on takeoff though

HeadlessHershel

« Reply #19 on: June 18, 2016, 10:48:29 pm »
I fixed my issue with stuttering by setting maximum pre rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia inspector. Not sure if this will help anyone else

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2016, 01:54:30 am »
I fixed my issue with stuttering by setting maximum pre rendered frames to 1 in Nvidia inspector. Not sure if this will help anyone else

That's interesting to know. I guess that having it to its default value of 3 will consume more VRAM if things are constantly loaded/unloaded from memory, since the card has to keep storage for 3 frames ahead.

It's possible the default value of 3 has been chosen to suit more modern engines like Unreal or Crytek, when a lot of data is cached on the VRAM, so it makes sense to render ahead, but with what we are forced to do to save VAS, a lot of memory management is made on the CPU instead, since we cannot obviously act on the graphic engine itself, so it wouldn't be very efficient to pre-render "future" frames, with things that might appear/disappear at any time, without the video card having any control over it.

sgreen91

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2016, 01:58:39 pm »
Its great scenery by far your best work!   

I tried the demo and the stuttering unfortunately makes it a no go for me.  I will check back in a few months to see if there are any updates on this issue.

Keep up the good work!

Sean

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2016, 02:30:26 pm »
I tried the demo and the stuttering unfortunately makes it a no go for me.  I will check back in a few months to see if there are any updates on this issue.

Check some of your other settings, what can you reduce? Road traffic is a killer, keep it around 10%, you'll still see plenty of cars. Don't need ships and boats in Memphis, move them to 0.  Keep AI at 50% or lower.
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

sgreen91

« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2016, 05:50:50 pm »
Thanks Bruce.  Unfortunately I do not use any AI Traffic (Cars nor Aircraft).  All AI is at 0%.

I'm running an I7-6700K at 4.7 with a 980TI as the system.  I saw Rob A. said he had some stuttering on rwy 36 so I tried that and I was able to reproduce the stutter.

Maybe later when I can get a 1080 later this year I will revisit but stutter on takeoff just ruins everything for me.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2016, 06:09:00 pm »
You know that modern CPU will automatically throttle down their speed to prevent burning from high temperature ? Have you checked your CPU and GPU temperature when using FSX ? Maybe the stuttering is somewhat related to the CPU constantly changing speed to save itself from burning, which is of course more likely if you overclock it.

sgreen91

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 04:38:02 am »
I do monitor my CPU and it never goes above 50 Celsius usually staying between 35-45.  I have run this overclock for 6 months since building the PC.  I tried another flight this morning from 2 airports of another well known developer with no stuttering issues.

I own all your other works and they perform flawlessly on my system.   

Thank you for your help Umberto and thank you for producing great scenery.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 10:50:45 am »
I tried another flight this morning from 2 airports of another well known developer with no stuttering issues.

As I've said, you will NEVER be able to get exactly the *same* smoothness of a scenery made using traditional ways. But you will risk a lot more OOMs, because such sceneries don't have any memory management.

KMEM does even more of it, because it's a scenery they would *never* fit all in memory, if loaded all at once.

passat99

« Reply #27 on: June 26, 2016, 02:27:10 am »
Love the scenery FSDT.  I just completed a flight and approached into 18R. The stutters were pretty bad on approach. I will try some things out and see how it goes.  Maybe i will start by dropping the textures to 2048.  This effected the enjoyment and concentration that is involved on final approach and i hope someone can come up with a resolution.

HighlanderOne

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2016, 01:41:41 pm »
I just purchased KMEM since I have just about all of FSDT sceneries and am very impressed just as I am impressed with all the others. Great work! Though.... on the approach it stutters to the point of breaking the immersion. I cannot fly into this scenery as the experience is somewhat unpleasant. My system i7-6700 at 4.6 liquid cooling... 16gb gskill trident... GTX980TI... SSD etc....System is kept very cool indeed... FPS locked at 50... screen refresh at 50 which always gives me very smooth and stutter free flights no matter what scenery I fly into or out of. And never OOM. But KMEM has some serious stutters which in my opinion need to be looked in to. I don't have this issue with any other scenery. It's a shame I can't use it because it looks fantastic! Oh well... hopefully there will be an update someday that addresses these stutters... then I'll revisit the scenery.

Cheers

Frank Lindberg

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 09:39:44 pm »
Yea so it stutters just like PHNL like i said. Happens about 200' from landing. has 3-4 hiccups while touching and slowing down. then goes away. Its a trademark FSDT thing.

I agree, I've just landed RW18R, stutters as hell :-(
VA. Senior Captain Frank Lindberg
"United we stand and divided we fall"
My PC spec: MS Win10 pro 64 bit - Intel Core i9-9900K CPU @ OC to 5.0 GHz - 16GB Ram - Geforce 2080TI 11GBVRAM - P3Dv5.1