Author Topic: KMEM still crashing (CTD), FSDT please help  (Read 122623 times)

skipy33

Re: KMEM still crashing (CTD), FSDT please help
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2016, 07:22:59 pm »
YES!!!! And after one month fighting I FOUND how I can avoid the KMEM g2d.dll crash on MY system:

I SIMPLY DISCONNECT THE TV I USE SOMETIME AS 2ND DISPLAY ON MY COMPUTER.

I have a Nvidia 650 GTX graphic card with latest driver. On this card a Matrox Triplehead Digital 2G is connected via DVI as a primary display with 3x19" monitors on it = 3840x1024. I use Fsx in full screen mode on this display.

The TV set is connected to the Nvidia card via HDMI as 2nd display. I don't use it with Fsx as I'm in full screen mode (I have a networked laptop to display EFB moving map).

So it seems that my graphic card was over stressed when loading KMEM (and only KMEM?) with 2 displays. If someone can explain me why the issue is just with KMEM I'll appreciate. First time I see that with Fsx and my current hardware.

It's a chance I disconnected my 2nd display to check if I can get more FPS on KORD (wich is a FPS killer with AI Traffic) and go ahead with my usual crash test scenary on KMEM.

Sorry if I spamed everyone with my posts but you'll agree that the problem was very unusual. When I performed tests with Umberto connected with teamviewer we didn't have any crash but the second display was connected... So I imagine the graphic card was not stressed due to this screen mirroring.

Skip.

por930

« Reply #226 on: July 27, 2016, 02:59:15 am »
Great news Skip. Ummm, "Your" setup sort of typical of systems out there, with the second screen BUT, being a TV, it may have given the video card some issues. Anyway, Seems you are sorted.

Hnla, I am not in any way support. Just a user, just like you. I have been offering my thoughts as a way of trying to calm the waters being a "devils advocate" between you and FSDT. I can 'help' no more, sorry if my comments were not useful. 
Geoff

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #227 on: July 27, 2016, 11:30:03 am »
So it seems that my graphic card was over stressed when loading KMEM (and only KMEM?) with 2 displays. If someone can explain me why the issue is just with KMEM I'll appreciate. First time I see that with Fsx and my current hardware.

I guess it might just be that KMEM uses quite a bit of texture memory ( VRAM ) and of course, when driving 4 displays (it's not 2, it's 3 for the Matrox plus 1 for the TV ), you consume more VRAM than normal.

Or, if you have plenty of VRAM available ( you might try checking it with GPU-Z ) it might just be a video driver memory allocation bug.

I was quite sure the G2D.DLL couldn't have anything to do with our code, and this was the definitive proof.

Hnla

« Reply #228 on: July 27, 2016, 03:29:29 pm »
Great- now it just leaves myself...

por930

« Reply #229 on: July 27, 2016, 03:54:21 pm »
Don't forget to turn the light out
Geoff

skipy33

« Reply #230 on: July 27, 2016, 04:43:41 pm »
"that KMEM uses quite a bit of texture memory ( VRAM )"

Light out! bye.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #231 on: July 27, 2016, 06:23:52 pm »
"that KMEM uses quite a bit of texture memory ( VRAM )"

Light out! bye.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say, but I simply posted something, which included a suggestion to use GPU-Z to check if you ARE low in VRAM in that particular situation, because I cannot obviously imagine any other cause.

Note that, KMEM uses LESS RAM than, for example, KLAX, but it might use more VRAM instead. There's really no "free lunch", you either optimize in a way or in another. The correct way forward, especially under a 32 bit sim, when we don't have so much RAM available, is to push in the direction of using more VRAM, for the obvious reason that video cards with more and more VRAM are easier to get than having to wait for a 64 bit version of the sim and of course, even if we *had* a 64 bit version of the sim, pushing on VRAM usage instead of RAM, would always be faster, since newer video cards increase in speed WAY more than the main CPU would ever be able to.

Of course, users with a very unusual configuration ( 3 monitors AND a TV is, sorry, far from being normal, and you cannot expect we would anticipate or test under this conditions ), might be more exposed to VRAM usage, since they DO use more VRAM *BY DEFAULT*. Again, there's no "free lunch". You want to drive 4 screens ? There's a resource costs associated with it.

But this is just a THEORY, which is why I suggested to verify, using GPU-Z, if you *really* are low on VRAM when KMEM is loaded *and* your TV is connected. If you are low on VRAM, there are things that can be tried to reduce its consumption, such as reducing the texture resolution, for example.

But maybe you are *not* low on VRAM ( again, GPU-Z should tell you ), and the reason is just more mundane, and you simply found a BUG in the video driver, that will cause FSX crashing when so many displays are connected, that happens only at KMEM because you need to consume AT LEAST a certain amount of VRAM, without necessarily exhausting it all.

Wise87

« Reply #232 on: July 28, 2016, 07:09:42 am »

I still get it and it's not my vram, single monitor operation, UT2 which I have turned off, EZdok which I updated and I have everything from FSDT updated.  I just got tired of mention it. As a member of a large VA members have asked for my opinion of KMEM  because they know I'm a scenery collector. I can not recommend KMEM as a stable purchase. I do recommend anything prior to KMEM, just not Memphis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hnla

« Reply #233 on: July 28, 2016, 03:01:27 pm »

I still get it and it's not my vram, single monitor operation, UT2 which I have turned off, EZdok which I updated and I have everything from FSDT updated.  I just got tired of mention it. As a member of a large VA members have asked for my opinion of KMEM  because they know I'm a scenery collector. I can not recommend KMEM as a stable purchase. I do recommend anything prior to KMEM, just not Memphis.

I have tested just about everything too. I wonder how many other users are on our same boat as well but not posting...

Hnla

« Reply #234 on: July 28, 2016, 03:20:56 pm »
And of coarse, I am always still open to do a teamviewer. Even though it's impossible for us to find a time that works for both of us...

Wise87

« Reply #235 on: July 29, 2016, 12:08:21 am »
I have a single BenQ 32 monitor and I'm running a GTX960FTX video card. I find it hard to believe Memphis is maxing out my video card VRAM. I even used GPU app to monitor it and it's not stressing the card one bit. There is still some conflict going on.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #236 on: July 29, 2016, 12:19:45 am »
I still get it and it's not my vram, single monitor operation, UT2 which I have turned off, EZdok which I updated and I have everything from FSDT updated.

I wasn't responding to you, but to Skippy, which confirmed HE has entirely fixed HIS problem by disconnecting one display. So, in HIS case, I suggested to CHECK the amount of available VRAM, obviously adding that I'm not *sure* it's just a "lack" of VRAM, but might simply be a video driver bugs that, in HIS case, happens only because KMEM possibly use a bit more VRAM than USUAL.

That doesn't obviously mean you have the SAME problem, it's just you still haven't found YOUR reason for a crash.

I just got tired of mention it. As a member of a large VA members have asked for my opinion of KMEM  because they know I'm a scenery collector.

Right now we still haven't been able to prove that *any* of the reported crashes are CAUSED by IT, and not something else. It's just that the "something else", it's not the SAME for everyone.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 01:43:23 pm by virtuali »

Wise87

« Reply #237 on: July 29, 2016, 02:29:28 am »
I kind of figured that. I have been trying every step I see posted to see if  it helps my situation.

skipy33

« Reply #238 on: July 30, 2016, 10:30:23 am »
Well... I thought all will be ok now removing the 2nd display (in Windows the 3 monitors connected to Matrox Triplehead are seen as one large display) but performing a "normal" flight from KDFW to KMEM I got the g2d.dll crash on ILS27 final :(.

I'll try the same flight with antipopup set to 30 instead of 21 but I can't stand reducing my Fsx performance.

Skip

skipy33

« Reply #239 on: July 30, 2016, 03:59:46 pm »
2nd try was OK after PC restart (the first time I ran Fsx at KDFW and interupted the flight so the I can't be sure everything was clean when my crash occured). I set antipopup to 30 but as this 2nd flight was very diffrent (ILS09 with rain and storm on KMEM, no aircraft shadow, FPS slower) it's not significant.

So approaching KMEM is still a kind of russian roulette for me. The good news is that I can start a flight now without problem.