Author Topic: Error Message upon FSX-startup  (Read 9891 times)

earnorbust

Error Message upon FSX-startup
« on: December 12, 2008, 01:54:06 pm »
I am getting a superfluous error message that my Geneva version is too old when I start up FSX.
Although I bought my version just yesterday I again downloaded and installed the latest Geneva version (today) new and downloaded and installed the latest Addonmanager also.

But I am still getting that meaningless message!

* Had that same problem with your Bergen scenery awhile back until I found out I had to uninstall and reinstall the Addonmanager after installing Bergen to make that message go away!
* This proceedure unluckily doesn't work for Geneva!

How can I stop this error from occuring, since it is costing me precious time that I would enjoy more by flying?? :-\

My system: Vista 64 + Acceleration; running in DX9 mode. All FSDreamTeam airports show active on the addon menu and the Geneva airport works perfect and shows no irregularities!

Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Error Message upon FSX-startup
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 07:29:33 pm »
I am getting a superfluous error message that my Geneva version is too old when I start up FSX.

You are not getting a "superfluous" error message. You are getting an useful message that is warning you that you have something that is not updated.

Since Geneva has just been released, this can't happen so, if you haven't downgraded the Addon Manager instead, the only explanation is that some files from Geneva has been corrupted on your hard drive.

[quote[Although I bought my version just yesterday I again downloaded and installed the latest Geneva version (today) new and downloaded and installed the latest Addonmanager also.[/quote]

As I've said, since Geneva is just been released, there's only one version of it. Since, usually, this message might appear even if you had an old version of the Addon Manager BUT, since any old version didn't checked for Geneva because it obviously hadn't any notion of it, you probably HAVE all updated, but a file from Geneva was corrupted somehow in the meantime.

But I am still getting that meaningless message!

No, you are getting an useful message, which is informing you that "something" is not right. If you are suffering from local files corruption, it might be a sympthom of something bigger.

* Had that same problem with your Bergen scenery awhile back until I found out I had to uninstall and reinstall the Addonmanager after installing Bergen to make that message go away!

Bergen was an entirely different thing, because the issue is the Cloud9 installer doesn't include the SP2 fix that was released after some time so, if you had the current Addon Manager (which checks for that fix to be applied), and forgot to apply the fix, you should have instead apply the fix AND update the Addon Manager as well. This is different from Geneva.

* This proceedure unluckily doesn't work for Geneva!

Yes, of course, because it hasn't anything to do with it. If you are suffering from a corrupted BGL file, it's no use updating the Addon Manager, that doesn't contain with any BGL, you need to fix the scenery instead.

Also, since Geneva already comes with the latest Addon Manager (it doesn't really "comes": all our recent installer get its latest version online automatically unless you don't have an internect connection active), it's no use keep updating the Addon Manager in case of problems, because both Geneva and the stand-alone Addon Manager installer just download the same files from the same locations online when they start.

How can I stop this error from occuring, since it is costing me precious time that I would enjoy more by flying??

You should uninstall/reinstall the scenery. This will restore all BGL to their original locations and will also download the latest Addon Manager files in the process.

IF the message goes away, and then it suddendly appears without having installed anything, then you would be SURE that something is corrupting your files.

earnorbust

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 08:11:30 pm »
I just uninstalled Geneva and started FSX.

The message still shows up, although the Geneva scenery is completely uninstalled !!!!

Now what does that mean???

Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 10:09:54 pm »
If the uninstallation went fine, and no files from Fsdreamteam\lsgg\scenery folder remained there, than something really strange is happening.

To find what it is, there's a special debug version of the Addon Manager that I can send to you, but you need to wait until Sunday, because I'm currently out of office and don't have it with me.

earnorbust

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 10:39:09 pm »
Yes... please send me your special addonmanager.

I checked, and there is no folder and there are no files left in the FSDreamteam folder with réspect to Geneva!

regards
Robert

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2008, 01:07:33 pm »
Can you please try running the Geneva installer again now ? We might have found what was causing it.

earnorbust

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2008, 04:25:26 pm »
Do you mean uninstall the scenery, then download a newer version and reinstall?

...I hope not! Your download server is running at 16KB/s   :P
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 04:33:13 pm by earnorbust »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2008, 04:33:24 pm »
No, just run again the installer you have

earnorbust

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2008, 04:49:21 pm »
Uhhh... how can an unchanged installer change anything??

sorry....I don't get the point.

earnorbust

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2008, 04:50:58 pm »
...OK - I see the program downloads files during installation!

That makes more sense now. I have just uninstalled Geneva and reinstalled it.

...am starting FSX now

It works !! ...the error is gone!

Thanks  ;D

Robert
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:06:54 pm by earnorbust »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2008, 05:01:12 pm »
Uhhh... how can an unchanged installer change anything??sorry....I don't get the point.

Why don't you simply TRUST what I say ? If I've said to run the installer again NOW (not this morning, but NOW), it's because I think to know what might have been the problem, and I know how the installer works and I know what has been changed.

The installer *always* gets some files from the internet as soon as it starts. This allow us to do JUST that: allowing to apply small fixes to at least the executable files, without forcing you to download the whole package again!

Just be sure you have an active internet connection when you run the installer.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 05:02:46 pm by virtuali »

earnorbust

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2008, 05:08:20 pm »
Everything is fine now.... congratulations!  ;D