Author Topic: KJFK AFCAD  (Read 11462 times)

dlr1984

KJFK AFCAD
« on: May 20, 2016, 02:02:05 am »
Hi,

I'm seeing duplicate taxiway signs at KJFK (v2). I suspected a duplicate AFCAD so ran simple airport scanner. No duplicates found, but the AFCAD in use is "appr_KJFK.bgl", a file that was last modified in 2008. Is this the right AFCAD file? It's in my FSDT folder but does seem quite old! If not what should be used as the correct AFCAD file? Should "appr_KJFK.bgl" be there at all?

Thanks,

Dominic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: KJFK AFCAD
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2016, 03:26:06 pm »
that file contains ONLY the IFR approaches, there are no visible objects, so it's correct you have two AFCADs: the "main" one and the one for the approaches, that hasn't been updated in years.

It's separate from the main AFCAD, so you can choose which procedure to use for the 13L approach (and there's a sub-folder with the alternate procedure), by switching the approaches AFCAD without affecting the main one.

The problem is surely caused by another scenery in conflict, and the most common cause of conflicts are AFCADs supplied with AI traffic packages, like MyTraffic, Traffic360, etc.

If the FSX Airport Scanner couldn't find them, try to look for their folders for files with names that refer to JFK, and remove them manually-

dlr1984

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 04:21:48 pm »
I have myTraffic but disabled that AFCAD file a while back. A thorough search found a file called ABP_KJFK (part of FTX vector). I disabled that too but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Should I be seeing two types of signs, like this?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2016, 08:48:45 am »
I have myTraffic but disabled that AFCAD file a while back. A thorough search found a file called ABP_KJFK (part of FTX vector). I disabled that too but it didn't seem to make a difference.

Should I be seeing two types of signs, like this?

Obviously not. They default one are coming from another AFCAD in conflict that you still haven't found, and you must find and remove.

dlr1984

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 05:57:33 pm »
Well I've tried searching for the duplicate AFCAD over the last few days and couldn't find anything.

Is there any way to see what AFCAD files are being loaded at any one time? I'm not sure what to do now.

Thanks,

Dominic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2016, 06:00:50 pm »
Is there any way to see what AFCAD files are being loaded at any one time? I'm not sure what to do now.

Unfortunately, there isn't. You must either use the FSX Airport Scanner utility, but we had some users reporting some files couldn't be found that way, and had to be searched manually.

dlr1984

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2016, 12:30:39 am »
Sorry to bump an old thread. Just returned to flying from KJFK after a bit of a break and I'm still suffering this issue. I've:

1) used the airport scanner which only found the correct FSDT AFCAD.
2) searched for KJFK on my hard disk, no results.

The only addons I have that might be interfering are: DD NYC X, FTX Vector and My Traffic. I deactivated all and still see the duplicate signs. I'm at a loss as to why they might be showing.

I'm also seeing two control towers too.

Is there some way to find out what BGL files P3D might be loading?

Thanks,

Dominic
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 12:32:19 am by dlr1984 »

dlr1984

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2016, 01:20:20 am »
Sorry, just a quick update. The signs and tower are coming from the stock airport APX28170.bgl. If I open this file and delete the "JFK tower" object file, recompile the bgl and restart P3D I see only the FSDT control tower.

I assume the duplicate signs are also coming from APX28170 too.

I wonder if I'm missing some sort of exclude file? What should that particular bgl be?

Thanks,

Dominic

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2016, 12:42:06 pm »
Sorry, just a quick update. The signs and tower are coming from the stock airport APX28170.bgl.

No, they don't. Or, more precisely, they do, but there are normally being excluded by our AFCAD file so, you should NOT removed them from the default.

The reason why they are not excluded, it's because you have ANOTHER (not the default!!) AFCAD in conflict, so you must remove THIS file instead, and it will fix all your conflicts at once.

p3dx3

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2016, 04:19:35 pm »
Sorry, just a quick update. The signs and tower are coming from the stock airport APX28170.bgl. If I open this file and delete the "JFK tower" object file, recompile the bgl and restart P3D I see only the FSDT control tower.

I assume the duplicate signs are also coming from APX28170 too.

I wonder if I'm missing some sort of exclude file? What should that particular bgl be?

Thanks,

Dominic

Free airport afcad scanner: http://www.scruffyduck.org/simple-airport-scanner/4584282795

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2016, 12:06:28 pm »
There is a batch file in the JFK\Scenery folder which you need to run - JFK AFCAD Selector.bat. You get the choice of which runways to make operational. Make your choice and the relevant AFCAD is copied into the JFK\Scenery folder from the AFCAD folder.

Start FSX and the indexes will be rebuilt. Everything should then be fine. I noticed the problem of wrong gate numbers when choosing which stand to park my BA Concorde at. BA use Terminal 7 at JFK which is at the end of 31R. Only after running that batch file did I get stands 700 available.

It also gets rid of the problem with the duplicate tower. So in short, if you see a duplicate tower at JFK you need to run that batch file.  ;)
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2016, 11:39:45 pm »
There is a batch file in the JFK\Scenery folder which you need to run - JFK AFCAD Selector.bat.

That's not something that comes with the scenery. It's something made by another user of this forum, which was posted here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,8804.0.html

These files and installer are not supported by FSDT. Use at your own risk.

Can't say how it works. If it changed gate numbers, for example, it will likely cause some issues with GSX.

Double objects might have happened if the batch file didn't remove something, maybe because of permission problems.

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2016, 11:45:47 pm »
There is a batch file in the JFK\Scenery folder which you need to run - JFK AFCAD Selector.bat.

That's not something that comes with the scenery. It's something made by another user of this forum, which was posted here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,8804.0.html

Ah okay. I mistakenly assumed it was an official release as it removed the duplicate tower.
Cheers,
Ray.

P3Dv5.3HF2, i9-13900K @ 5.5Ghz, RTX4090, 32Gb RAM, 4Tb Crucial T700 NVMe SSD, BenQ 32” 30Hz monitor at 3840*2160 with VSync.

dlr1984

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2016, 12:51:35 am »
Ray, Umberto,

Sorry I've been away a couple of weeks and have only just seen your replies.

Ray's suggestion about the batch file was a good one. I too had that file, I must have installer the switcher and then forgotten about it. But as the batch file was installed in the root KJFK folder rather than KJFK/Scenery, running it wasn't changing the AFCAD properly . Now I've moved the batch file to KJFK/Scenery all seems to be working well - no duplicate signs or tower.

Thanks very much for sticking with me in resolving this.

Dominic

Ray Proudfoot

• Cheadle Hulme Weather
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2016, 10:06:38 am »
Dominic,

You're welcome. One thing I don't understand is that the gate numbers aren't correct with the 3rd party scenery. I'm talking specifically about those used by BA at T7. Concorde definitely used to park at gates 700-704.

Does the batch file do more than activate / deactivate runways?
Cheers,
Ray.