Author Topic: Icing conditions & Engine Start  (Read 5525 times)

ScottW

Icing conditions & Engine Start
« on: January 30, 2016, 10:54:49 pm »
Since the last update, if I'm at an airport with the temperature in the 'icing condition' zone, say 0 to 10 degrees, when I call for pushback, I'm told "due to icing conditions" I have to wait for the end of pushback to start engines. This can happen when there is nothing but blue sky overhead; no chance of icing. Can this be fixed?

Scott
CYYZ

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Icing conditions & Engine Start
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2016, 11:18:51 am »
This can happen when there is nothing but blue sky overhead; no chance of icing. Can this be fixed?

The icing conditions are related only to the temperature so, it's normal it would be like that, nothing to fix. We might ADD additional conditions to the icing condition detection in a future version so, what would be your suggestions to add additional conditions to detect icing conditions ?

lpf20011

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2016, 04:49:32 pm »
Could you adda condition for when visibility is low  ( 1 or 2 SM? ) which would indicate that there's visible moisture and the temperature is below freezing?

There are some specific metar codes (right now I cant remember them all exactly) but there is one that refers to blowing snow that would get Icing conditions, however I would guess this would require GSX to get the METAR from the web or talk to a programme like Active Sky to determine.

I would of thought the last thing you'd want to do is to rely on other 3rd party add-ons (no matter how good they may be) to allow your programme to work to its fullest extent.

Also on a related Engine Start, would it be possible to request an engine start on stand before pushback or give the option? For example at the VA I fly for we have a wear programme which allows our pilots to pick an airframe used by others. One of them currently has an APU Bleed fault which requires the air start unit to start one engines. When using GSX it asks for all ground connections to be off before the pushback process happens. Could the option be added to " Start One Engine On Stand " that would allow a ground connection to be connected - then the user being able to tell GSX the engine is started and pushback process can continue (chocks away, pin etc...)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2016, 04:52:51 pm by lpf20011 »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 10:06:56 am »
Also on a related Engine Start, would it be possible to request an engine start on stand before pushback or give the option?

It's already there. Just be sure you use the current version.

ScottW

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 06:20:12 pm »
My understanding is that there are two sets of conditions that call for icing. The temperature is between 10C and a few degrees below freezing [I can't remember the exact figure]. And the presence of moisture. Rain, snow, or fog, obviously. But  a substantial cloud cover is also a potential icing issue. Clear skies do not require icing.

There may be others with more knowledge, but that's how I've always understood it.

Thanks,
Scott