Author Topic: Push at EDDK Gate B5  (Read 5679 times)

mroschk

Push at EDDK Gate B5
« on: February 22, 2016, 11:24:23 pm »
Hello,

GSX Pushes me into the wrong Position, see attached Picture.

What can be wrong here?
Also GSX did not ask for the Pushback Nose Position after Pushback.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 11:27:45 pm by mroschk »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Push at EDDK Gate B5
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2016, 10:21:25 am »
GSX Pushes me into the wrong Position, see attached Picture.

GSX doesn't push you into the "wrong" position if, with "wrong position", you mean into the building.

As discussed so many times already on the forum, GSX doesn't know anything about the outside world/scenery, other than what it finds in the scenery AFCAD so, it doesn't know there's a building there.

It only knows there's a node in that AFCAD, so it will try to place you close to it.

Which is why, you have the ability in the "Customize parking position" option, to specify a custom pushback, by setting the coordinates of another node, if the one chosen was too close to a building. This is clearly explained in the GSX manual, at Page 25, the paragraph aptly named "Custom Pushback"

Also GSX did not ask for the Pushback Nose Position after Pushback.

As discussed so many times on the forum, GSX reads the scenery AFCAD, so it complies with what it finds there. If the developer of that scenery set a single direction ( only "Right" or only "Left" ), at that parking, GSX obviously doesn't ask you Left/Right, since it would be silly to do that, if the developer said there's only ONE possible direction at that place.

If, instead, the developer forgot to set a Pushback direction, and set it as "None", GSX won't ask you a direction, but it will offer at least the ability to do a Straight pushback, with the length set in the preferences.

Again, using the "Customize parking position" option, you can OVERRIDE what the scenery developer set in the AFCAD, and specify a different option. Explained in the GSX manual too, of course, the same page 25, the paragraph named "Pushback Direction"

mroschk

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2016, 10:01:19 am »
The second part is ok ( about the Pushback direction )

But the first part was not like this and sooo often in the earlyer versions pf GSX.

GSX is describet on the Website as a tool which works for every Airport. But i seams there
must be a lot of Manual work to get it working now at all Airports.

Is such a update for the Airports includet in any GSX update? ( Which i wonder again, the last update is a very Long time ago )

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2016, 10:46:15 am »
But the first part was not like this and sooo often in the earlyer versions of GSX.

If with "first part", you mean the fact that GSX don't ask you for a direction if there's just one specified in the scenery AFCAD, it ALWAYS been like this, and I can't possibly see why this is even a "problem". What would be the point of having a menu with just ONE choice ?

If with "first part" you mean that GSX now always add a straight push back, even when there are no other options, it's (again) a feature asked by many users, that we added. Again, I can't possibly see why having ONE MORE option would be a "problem", or how the old version was better.

With old versions, if the parking didn't had any pushback options, because the developer forgot to set them (a common mistake, since this is what the freeware ADE defaults to), there weren't ANY pushback happening there, unless you customize the parking, now one that doesn't want to customize anything, will AT LEAST get a Straight pushback. How you could think the old version better ?

GSX is describet on the Website as a tool which works for every Airport

If obviously does, like everybody knows.

But i seams there must be a lot of Manual work to get it working now at all Airports.

The amount of work involved depends on how good the 3rd party scenery AFCAD is made.

Too many times, 3rd party developers do strange things with the AFCAD (for example, adding too many nodes under the illusion this could "control" the paths better, when the sim will always decide how to smooth them anyway), if not pure and simple mistakes. Unsurprisingly, the default airports are usually flawless, and they usually don't require any work to do.

If GSX was able to auto-magically fix 3rd party sceneries, it would be WAY more valuable, as a tool, to what is supposed to do now. Of course, this is obviously impossible.

Is such a update for the Airports includet in any GSX update? ( Which i wonder again, the last update is a very Long time ago )

I'm not sure what you are asking for. We included some customizations to fix the most glaring issues with SOME 3rd party airports, like the usage of fake jetways (to inform GSX they exist), but the pushback customization is not something we are supposed to do for 3rd party sceneries, that's the whole point of having a scenery customization feature in the first place.

The ability for a custom pushback in the editor has been asked by many users, and we added it. Nobody (except you) ever asked we would customize every 3rd party scenery out there. That would mean CHARGING BY AIRPORT, which is something we are strongly against to.

mroschk

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2016, 11:00:29 am »
Can you pls calm down a bit !!

Code: [Select]
If with "first part", you mean the fact that GSX don't ask you for a direction

What ?? the first part of my question was not about that ! Pls read carefully and dont be so rude !
I just ask you a easy question !

------------------

So, if i understand you correct, i have to check EVERY Scenery and EVERY Position at EVERY Airport if GSX works correct?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2016, 11:34:35 am »
What ?? the first part of my question was not about that ! Pls read carefully and dont be so rude !

So, I forgot the 3rd variation of what the first part of your message could mean, the pushback into the building ?

If you meant that, there's no difference with earlier GSX, since the issue is caused by the fact it doesn't know anything about the outside scenery except the AFCAD, and this is of course how GSX has always been.

If you are sure it used to take a different route at this specific airport in that specific parking, it's possible the AFCAD of the scenery itself has been updated in the meantime.

I just ask you a easy question !

Which has been discussed so many times already on the forum, and it was clearly explained on the GSX manual, the "custom pushback" option at Page 21.

So, if i understand you correct, i have to check EVERY Scenery and EVERY Position at EVERY Airport if GSX works correct?

You haven't understood me at all. In fact, I said exactly the opposite, that GSX normally works everywhere with no modifications.

You only need to customize a parking WHEN the default pushback direction, as defined by the scenery developer in the AFCAD, will take you into some scenery object which, GSX cannot possibly know about without having to fully decompile the whole scenery in memory, which is not obviously feasible.

So, it's no that you have to "check everything", simply customize a parking WHEN you encounter a problem. Not more involved than taking the time to make a screenshot of it, and post it here. You should post it here as a possible issue, only AFTER you encounter a problem you CANNOT fix using the supplied customization tools, which are there for a reason: so you can use them.

Here, an explanation of what custom pushback can do, to replicate a somewhat unusual pushback procedure:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11083.0.html

This is for a custom pushback point.

In case you are simply dealing with a scenery where all parkings were mistakenly set as "None" pushback preference by the author, the solution is usually MUCH easier:

- open the "parking customization" dialog.

- click the ROOT node (the one with the airport ICAO) on the left side list. This will select ALL parkings at once

- select "BOTH" as Pushback direction and Apply the changes.

This will enable Left/Right directions for ALL parkings at once, with 3 clicks, only done for the first time you ever fly that scenery.

mroschk

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2016, 12:02:53 pm »
Code: [Select]
So, it's no that you have to "check everything", simply customize a parking WHEN you encounter a problem.

But that exatly means what i say, that i have to check every Gate at every Airport. Because
if i did not that i can be pushed into a Building or something.
So i have to check that BEVORE i use GSX at a Gate.

I understand, that you can not check ever Scenery from every developer.
But if a user has a Problem at a Airport and Reports this here , you can fix that and include it
in any next Update.

That remains GSX working, as describet, on EVERY Airport.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2016, 12:29:52 pm »
But that exatly means what i say, that i have to check every Gate at every Airport. Because if i did not that i can be pushed into a Building or something. So i have to check that BEVORE i use GSX at a Gate.

No, you don't. You are *assuming* that being pushed into a building it's a common outcome, but it's not. It only becomes an issue at some parkings, usually the first or the last of a terminal close to a building.

The ONLY time customization is really needed, is the first parking of a terminal when (for example), Left will place you with the nose in front of a wall, and Right will place the airplane tail IN a building.

It's not that we don't know how to design sceneries and, when we do customization for our own sceneries, we usually find that, out of 100+ parkings a typical FSDT airport has, maybe 4-5 needs pushback customization. OF COURSE, we also take care not to set the "Left/Right" preference wrong (or worse, set to "None"), which usually fix most of the issues, but that's really easy to do for you as well (as I already explained)

So, it's only AFTER you encounter such parkings, you might need to have a look at the customization options which, as I've said, it's something you ALREADY did, right now. You encountered what you thought to be a problem, and AFTER you encountered it, you spent some time taking a screenshot and posting a message, when you could simply tried to customize the parking instead.

But if a user has a Problem at a Airport and Reports this here , you can fix that and include it
in any next Update.

As I've said, report what you think it's a "problem" ONLY when you CANNOT fix it with the customization features provided by GSX, which are there so you can use them.

That remains GSX working, as describet, on EVERY Airport.

Which obviously does:

- Pushback it's just one of the many features GSX has

- On any given airport, potentially problematic parkings that requires customization are a very small percentage, and GSX gives you all the means to fix them when you encounter one.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2016, 12:32:15 pm by virtuali »