Author Topic: Addon Manager Questions  (Read 11162 times)

XCLTM3

Addon Manager Questions
« on: January 15, 2016, 09:49:13 am »
Just a few questions in relation to the Addon Manager Menu:

1. Ground Traffic - is this a global preset for all airports managed by the Addon Manager? I'm trying to deactivate Ground Traffic for KLAX, but NOT for my other FSDreamteam & Flightbeam airports. However, it seems that Addon Manager deactivates ground traffic for all airports.

2. What is "Altitude Cull"?

3. What is "View Optimization"?

4. What does the "Save to FSX" button actually do?

Thanks,

Steve
Latebra Factum, Tertia Optio

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Addon Manager Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:14:39 pm »
I'm trying to deactivate Ground Traffic for KLAX, but NOT for my other FSDreamteam & Flightbeam airports. However, it seems that Addon Manager deactivates ground traffic for all airports.

It only deactivates custom Ground Traffic handled by the Addon Manager (which means NOT all ground traffic) for all sceneries handled by the Addon Manager.

Not a single Flightbeam scenery uses "custom Ground Traffic handled by the Addon Manager" so, it's not possible that changing this setting would have any effect on other kinds of ground traffic at Flightbeam airports.

Yes, it's a global setting for all sceneries known to the Addon Manager, but only some of them use it and, of course, it can be turned on/off immediately without a restart.

2. What is "Altitude Cull"?

3. What is "View Optimization"?

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,9865.msg77726.html#msg77726

4. What does the "Save to FSX" button actually do?

Save the settings you see in the fsx.cfg

Thanks,

Steve
[/quote]

XCLTM3

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 09:53:22 am »
http://flightbeam.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1939&p=8511&hilit=vehicles#p8511

As I've said, there are NO "custom-animated ground vehicles handled by the Addon Manager" anywhere on any Flightbeam scenery. And, if you read Mir's reply, he said in order to remove custom animations, you must rename the  "animations_place.BGL" to "animations_place.OFF" in the KDEN\scenery folder.

When referring to the Addon Manager setting, I think he simply thought the "Ground Traffic" checkbox in the Addon Manager controlled default airport vehicles, like a shortcut to the existing FSX ground traffic slider, but that's not what it does.

The only think that checkbox does, is to enable/disable custom dynamic vehicles created and handled by the Addon Manager and NOT by the default ground traffic engine, and I assure you there are none of them in KDEN or any other Flightbeam airport.

XCLTM3

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 12:50:33 pm »
Yeah, I read Mir's entire response. But, it was unclear what he meant in terms of the addon manager  and specifically "what" the addon manager affects. And that's no disrespect to him - even you admit you "think" he meant something, however "think" is uncertain and to "know" is certain.

To clarify, can you please stipulate what actual custom ground traffic the addon manager actually DOES handle? And in particular, in terms of KLAX & KLAS.

I currently have FSX default airport vehicles set to "0" within FSX - meaning Zero/none.

Ergo, if I could eliminate any FSDT custom ground traffic for KLAX & KLAS, that would be great.

Better still, if there's a detailed manual on the operation of the Addon Manager and all it's features...that'd be appreciated.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 09:43:40 pm »
To clarify, can you please stipulate what actual custom ground traffic the addon manager actually DOES handle? And in particular, in terms of KLAX & KLAS.

Animated ground traffic (except GSX, of course) which is clearly not default. You probably know how the default airport vehicles looks like: some of them are grey and some of them are blue. That kind of stuff.

I currently have FSX default airport vehicles set to "0" within FSX - meaning Zero/none.

This means you won't see ANY default airport vehicles. This won't affect in any way the vehicles created by the Addon Manager, which is why the Addon Manager has its own settings.

There IS a reason why those settings are GROUPED in the user interface within a boxed area that says:

"Addon Manager tweaks - applied only to sceneries handled by the Addon Manager"

to clearly separate them from the generic FSX.CFG tweaks, which are grouped in their own box, labeled "FSX Tweaks - applied globally for all FSX sceneries"

Ergo, if I could eliminate any FSDT custom ground traffic for KLAX & KLAS, that would be great.

That's precisely what that switch does. In a previous version of the Addon Manager, the custom airport vehicles were controlled by the Scenery Complexity slider, but some users asked to be able to control them independently without having to touch the Scenery Complexity slider, so we complied, and that setting was added.

Better still, if there's a detailed manual on the operation of the Addon Manager and all it's features...that'd be appreciated.

Everything related to purchase and activation and reactivation is explained in the fsdt_install_guide.pdf, which is what most users are usually concerned with.

The FSX Tweaks are common knowledge, we only gave an easier interface to handle them, but we never felt it was necessary to explain them, especially because their effectiveness depends a lot on the user configuration and settings.

Which leaves us with just the "Addon Manager tweaks" ( Altitude Cull, View Optimization, Anti-popup ), which has been explained on the forum, in the thread I linked.

AirBorne

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2016, 10:08:27 pm »
May I suggest something? Add another "save" button and make each button specific to their own group of settings (tweaks and AM settings).
I liked to have the AM settings saved, but without "polluting" the entire P3D.CFG with tweats I really didn't want (many of them are even deprecated by this time!)...
In the end I was able to have the specific AM settings injected into my P3D.CFG without messing with the other parts, and it involved some temporary file copies and stuff, not much work really, but I think being able to deal with the stuff individually would be the best option.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2016, 10:19:45 pm »
May I suggest something? Add another "save" button and make each button specific to their own group of settings (tweaks and AM settings).

We are doing something more flexible in a future upgrade: an on/off switch for each setting, so you can choose what you want to save.

I liked to have the AM settings saved, but without "polluting" the entire P3D.CFG with tweats I really didn't want (many of them are even deprecated by this time!)...

The deprecated ones won't have any effect. And, if you don't see a tweak (provided is still used), doesn't mean it's not used, only that its default internal value will be used instead. Which of course, matches the default value in the Addon Manager, for tweaks that are still relevant.

So, it's really not an issue, it's more like a placebo effect, so  you won't fear of the "pollution", but we'll make the changes anyway.