Author Topic: Airport elevations  (Read 13417 times)

Kapustick

Airport elevations
« on: November 28, 2015, 09:37:51 am »
I don't think this is a PHNL issue.  I was wondering if anyone has any other ideas to try.

Hi,
I recently switched to Prepar3D v3, after doing a clean Windows 10 Pro install.  I installed PHNL after downloading the latest version 1.5.0 with the latest Stand Alone Addon Manager.  When I enter the scenario at PHNL (Ramp 14-19 GA, specifically), the landing gear appears to go through the scenery.  It appears that the parking apron covers the lower 3rd of the landing gear.  It does this regardless of any vehicle type I select.  Here are some of the things I've verified/tried:

-  Verified Tessellation Factor is set to Ultra (aka Mesh Complexity in FSX:SE) | Hardware Tessellation is enabled
-  Verified Mesh resolution is set to 1m (max setting)
-  Tried setting all settings to max - didn't do anything for the elevation.
-  Disabled PHNL scenery:  All aircraft sit at the correct elevation for the default mesh/airport
-  Installed FSX:SE to make comparison.  All aircraft sit at correct elevations in FSX:SE with the PHNL scenery.
-  Compared .cfg files for the mesh entries:
       * FSX:SE setting:  MESH_COMPLEXITY=100     MESH_RESOLUTION=25
       * P3Dv3 setting:   TESSELLATION_FACTOR=90    MESH_RESOLUTION=25
-  Manually changed Tessellation_Factor=100 in the Prepar3D.cfg:  Issue remains, also changes Tessellation setting to High from Ultra.
-  Disabled Hardware Tessellation:  Issue remains
-  Installed FSGenisis Alaska_HI terrain mesh with update:  FSX:SE still works fine, but Prepar3D still has problem.

1)  I'm not sure P3Dv3 is allowing your custom mesh to be utilized, based on the allowable settings in the Prepar3Dv3 UI.  Is this correct?
2)  Are there any options or settings I've overlooked in P3Dv3?
3)  Can someone confirm that PHNL elevations are working for them in P3Dv3...please.
4)  Is this issue part of the sloped airport issue?  Why doesn't it happen in FSX:SE?

Help troubleshooting this would be appreciated.  I have the same issue with KLAX, KLAS, HI1 & HI2 to varying degrees.  Thanks
« Last Edit: November 28, 2015, 08:57:13 pm by Kapustick »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Airport elevations
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 10:58:09 pm »
This has been discussed many times on the forum, see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12812.msg96542.html#msg96542
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11942.msg91097.html#msg91097
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,12336.msg93737.html#msg93737
http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,11611.msg89091.html#msg89091

It's not a settings problem or a mesh problem, it's how the scenery is made, slightly raised to prevent ground flickering. Of course, is more noticeable with small planes, and if you go close.

papakilopilot93

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2016, 03:17:06 pm »
Hi, i just install all of my FSDT airports into p3d v3.1, and apparently i have this airports elevation issues with FSDT airports. my aircraft wheel is sink to the ground almost half of the wheel itself. i test it with all other payware scenery, but looks like it only happen with FSDT airports. do you have a fix for this?? it was annoying taxing around the airport with half of my wheel sunk to the ground.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2016, 03:25:51 pm »
i test it with all other payware scenery, but looks like it only happen with FSDT airports. do you have a fix for this??

As explained in all other threads I've linked, and in the previous post, it's how the scenery is made, because it's a result of being very slightly raised to prevent ground flickering so, there's nothing to fix, unless you would like to see a lot of ground flickering, which is surely much worse than having the wheels sunken for a few cm.

Other sceneries might not show this, because they use FS8-style ground polygons, so they cannot use advanced ground shaders and they will pay a performance and memory penalty because of FS8 polygons must be tessellated and adapted to flow over the curved earth at run time.

papakilopilot93

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2016, 03:33:41 pm »
well if i use cessna 172, the wheels was almost sunk completely.. surely that it wasn't just a few cm :D ,better back to FSX then.. frame rates is almost the same..