the new cones are fine, but i miss a Minimum of 2 cones in front of the
Engines.

http://www.brusselsairport.be/en/cf/res/pdf/en/coneschocks

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Cones
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 10:24:08 pm »
the new cones are fine, but i miss a Minimum of 2 cones in front of the  Engines.

I think this has been discussed already on the forum:

we are obviously fully aware that cones should be placed in front and in the back of the engines but, we found that relying on the engine positions as defined in the aircraft.cfg is NOT reliable. There are some VERY popular (and *highly* regarded for "realism") 3rd party airplanes that have one of all their engines positions totally off, sometimes by a very large amount. I wonder how they could claim they fly "realistically", if the origin of thrust is misplaced. But I'm digressing here...

The real issue is, since we cannot rely on the data provided in the aircraft.cfg (which is also supplied by Simconnect), we would need to add our own data, which means:

1) adding the proper options to the GSX airplane configuration editor, like we did when we added the de-icers since, even in THAT case, we found we couldn't rely on the wing geometry as defined in the aircraft.cfg...

2) making the configuration for at least all the supported airplanes, with users having the ability to add the unsupported ones using the editor.

Doing both #1 and #2 requires some time, but we didn't wanted to delay the introduction of this feature, so we added it with the data WE HAVE, which is the wingtip position, used by the de-icers too.

AFTER we'll upgrade the editor and made all the configurations for the supported planes, the Traffic cones will appear on the engines too.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 10:57:40 pm by virtuali »

mroschk

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 10:47:46 pm »
ahh...ok.

nice!!

B738SXD

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2015, 05:56:15 pm »
is there a chance to update the cones someday with more realistic ones? see attached?

Bruce Hamilton

• Beta tester
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2015, 11:33:26 pm »
You think those dunce caps look realistic?   ;D
Intel Core i7-4790 Haswell 4.0 GHz EVGA Z97 Classified EVGA Supernova 850 G2 G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Western Digital 1TB GeForce GTX 780 Superclock

B738SXD

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 02:07:30 am »
Yes

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 09:03:25 am »
is there a chance to update the cones someday with more realistic ones? see attached?

What do you mean with "more realistic" ? Your screenshot is not very clear. You want them smaller ?

B738SXD

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 10:14:06 am »
Yes i think they are too big, if you compare them with engines or the main gear  :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2015, 01:33:58 am »
Yes i think they are too big, if you compare them with engines or the main gear  :)

They aren't. I just made a bit of research, and it seems traffic cones comes in several standard sizes, with the largest one being 36 inches, which I guess is used for airliners, which is what GSX is geared towards. Other standard sizes are 18 and 28 inches in height:

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/traffic-cones/orange-lime

I measured the 3 models we supply with GSX, and they are ALL about 36 inches, some 1-2 inches less, some 1-2 more, but they are basically all the same so, they are all of the correct (highest) standard size.

Just for the sake of precision, I changed the size slightly for them to be EXACTLY 36" inches, and while I was at it, I added some better textures. You can get them by downloading one of the vehicle update installers now. I think you'll notice the new texture way more than the SLIGHT change in size. They were already *basically* correct, now they are 100% entirely correct.

Of course, we could always improve, add the 18" and the 28" variations, and make some kind of logic to decide depending on airplane size, but that's another issue that can always be added. But the cones size WAS, basically, correct. At least for a large airliner.

rick66

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2015, 05:38:54 am »
In P3d choose Avatar mode and stand next to them, you would need a forklift to move the cones or share the load between 2 lol, but thats my view, personally i would prefer the option to turn them off with the GSX editor.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2015, 09:29:19 pm »
In P3d choose Avatar mode and stand next to them, you would need a forklift to move the cones or share the load between 2 lol

You need a "forklift" to raise 10-12 lbs ? That's how the 36" model weights...

https://www.trafficsafetystore.com/traffic-cones/orange-lime

I'll repeat it again: the cones are *precisely* 36" in height, so they are entirely correct, at least to the largest standard, which I guess it might be used with large airlines. They might be too big for smaller/GA planes but, again, we can add other sizes too.