Author Topic: Stutters  (Read 20770 times)

a320driver

Re: Stutters
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2008, 04:42:42 pm »
OK Thanks. What kind of changes am I looking to make? I am not @ the FS9 machine right now. What am I looking for in the PCI latiency sections?

Thanks,
Joe
Regards,
Joe Esposito

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2008, 05:08:42 pm »
I think there's no general setting that will work for any system. Try to play with different settings (like 16, 32, 64, 128 ) and see if it improves.

a320driver

« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2008, 07:20:02 pm »
Tried all those settings, no real change. When it is the worst is on the approach and after landing. At times on the ground, as I am moving around it is almost a slide show. Many times I am getting single digit frames as well. Most settings are maxed (but not all) AI at 85%. I think this is more of a texture loading issue on my machine (but I could be wrong).

Regards,
Joe
Regards,
Joe Esposito

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 08:13:26 pm »
I think this is more of a texture loading issue on my machine (but I could be wrong).

Yes, it is a texture loading problem, but the fact you hear sound pops and cracks when this happens, means it's related to a problem which can be either due to IRQ sharing, OR PCI latency.

I can see when textures loads and the objects are just pain gray for a while, even on FS9, but I don't have any audio problems even when it's actually loading and the hard drive light is on.

So, if you hear the audio cracks, visual stuttering it's the minimum you can expect.

Fact that is happening at JFK, it's only because it IS a big scenery, with many textures, and it resides in a place were lots of textures are loaded apart for the scenery, as usual, it's not "just" the scenery, it's the whole. If your system was just on the borderline of being able to load everything without audio/video stuttering AT JFK without "our" JFK, adding it might simply crossed a limit, were your system can't cope with the load anymore. Note that this doesn't have anything to do with frame rate. If anything, it might be even worse, the higher the fps is. Fact that FS9 doesn't use Dual Core to do texture loading, doesn't help either, but the more significant issue, in your case, is the audio stuttering, which indicates something is not performing as it should.

A thing to check might be under the Peripherals screen in Windows, to check which IRQs has been assigned, and if the audio card is sharing its IRQ with something else, especially with disk controllers. Sometimes it's possible to fix the problem by moving the audio card to a different slot, the mainboard manuals usuall have a page which explains how IRQs are shared between PCI slots and the internal peripherals.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 08:16:38 pm by virtuali »

a320driver

« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2008, 12:36:44 am »
Installed new sound card. No more pops & cracks. Still the stuttering persists. Ordered some new hardware for this machine. Am going to a Intel E8500 (3.16GHz) and a single BFG GeForce 9800 GTX+ (760MHz Core/2250MHz Memory clock). Hope this will help smooth FS9 out some. I know the SLI setup was not doing me any good, so we'll see how this goes!

Regards,
Joe
Regards,
Joe Esposito

Aeroman

• "Did we land or were we shot down?!?"
    • American Virtual Airlines
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2008, 07:41:02 am »
Virtuali,

Just curious...when you evaluate your market, are you simply looking to see if you'll make a profit at all by (in this case) continuing FS9 products, or are you looking to see if, by completely switching to FSX, you'll make more of a profit, even though the former might still make a profit. 

Not complaining at all...would interested in what you're looking at when you say you're "evaluating them market". 
« Last Edit: December 04, 2008, 01:04:31 pm by Aeroman »
Best regards,

Ryan Cummins
AAL148
Dallas/Fort Worth Int'l. Hub
American Virtual Airlines
"We know why you fly"

a320driver

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2008, 06:27:25 pm »
Nuthin like a good ol' fashioned hijacking!!!!!  ;)

Regards,
Joe
Regards,
Joe Esposito

gregvancouver

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2008, 06:44:24 pm »
Tried all those settings, no real change. When it is the worst is on the approach and after landing. At times on the ground, as I am moving around it is almost a slide show. Many times I am getting single digit frames as well. Most settings are maxed (but not all) AI at 85%. I think this is more of a texture loading issue on my machine (but I could be wrong).

Regards,
Joe

This may sound stupid too, but I also seem to notice that after landing everything slows down, compared to takeoff/overhead flying etc.
A bit of a long shot, but perhaps something to do with the fact that the sim is trying to interact with those features only available for the FSX version?

a320driver

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2008, 06:54:53 pm »
I too notice that after landing things really get herky jerky. I am really at a loss except that I think my current hardware is just not up to the task. That is why I am going to make the changes detailed above. I am looking to get FS9 to a "smooth as butter" point and then I will be happy! Don't know when (or if) I will try FSX again....what can I say.

Regards,
Joe
Regards,
Joe Esposito

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 07:52:11 pm »
A bit of a long shot, but perhaps something to do with the fact that the sim is trying to interact with those features only available for the FSX version?

The FS9 version doesn't have any of the features that only the FSX version supports so, no, it's not the issue.

However, the FSX version has more optimizations that FS9 doesn't allow because of the way the graphic engine works, that result (at least on my system) to have the FSX version performing better. It *is* an FSX scenery after all, and it has been thought and developed as such.