Author Topic: couatl.exe Application error **SOLVED**  (Read 10311 times)

stevefocus

couatl.exe Application error **SOLVED**
« on: August 20, 2015, 03:50:15 am »
I get a couatl.exe Application error every time I start P3d it says the application was unable to start properly and give this code (0xc150004). Only have the latest GSX installed. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 10:24:16 am by virtuali »

PhantomTweak

Re: couatl.exe Application error
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 07:30:16 am »
Have you downloaded and installed the latest version of Couatl? I believe it's 3. It seems to work pretty well I believe, with P3D...
Located here:http://www.fsdreamteam.com/products_addonmanager.html

stevefocus

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 01:39:16 pm »
Tried installing latest version but still have the same problem. Thanks for trying though. Any other ideas?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 06:00:09 pm »
Such codes are usually caused by the antivirus that corrupted the executable trying to "heal" the file, because it mistakenly identified it as threat.

- Download and install with the antivirus ENTIRELY DISABLED

- BEFORE launching FSX, configure the antivirus to exclude the following files from scanning:

YourFSXFolder\bglmanx.dll
YourFSXFolder\fsdreamteam\Couatl\Couatl.exe

- Now you can turn your Antivirus on, and launch FSX

- Note if FSX asks permission to run the Addon Manager and the Couatl programs, reply YES to both

- When FSX loads, check if you have BOTH the "Addon Manager" and the "Couatl powered products" under the "Addons" menu.

stevefocus

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 12:00:48 am »
Tried all that and it didn't work, I don't get either Addon Manager or Couatl powered products under the addon menu. I think it is an issue with simconnect as I am getting errors with Active Sky Next that I normally don't, does your program use version 10.061259.0 by any chance if it does then its the same version that ASN uses which would narrow the problem down. I am using P3D2.5 if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 09:08:54 am »
I think it is an issue with simconnect as I am getting errors with Active Sky Next that I normally don't

Well, of course, if Simconnect is corrupted/missing/not installed, you would surely have startup errors too.

does your program use version 10.061259.0 by any chance if it does then its the same version that ASN uses which would narrow the problem down. I am using P3D2.5 if that makes a difference.

Yes, of course it uses 10.061259.0, because is the latest one from FSX SP2, which most of the FSX addons use. Under P3D, you must install the Simconnect client, in your P3D folder:

\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v2\redist\Interface\FSX-SP2-XPACK\retail\lib

However, our installer will automatically install it so, it's not normal it's not working now, unless there has been a problem with it, and it's missing/corrupted, so you might try a reinstall.

stevefocus

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2015, 11:59:19 pm »
Thanks for the help ended up doing a full windows reinstall as that seemed to be the only way to fix it. All up and running again.

Hitchhiker

Re: couatl.exe Application error **SOLVED**
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 03:31:42 pm »
Hi Umberto, after resolving the bglmanx.dll issue, I am now getting this same error. I am fairly certain I can exclude a problem with SimConnect, as fixing that issue resolved the bglmanx.dll error. I seem to have all the necessary VC++ redistributables installed, but if any of them are corrupt, is there a way to thoroughly get rid of the existing versions and install clean copies? I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the 2005 SP1 and 2013 ones so far. I do have others installed too (2008, 2010, 2012, and 2015 both x86 and x64 for each). I am keen on not having to re-install Windows!

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2016, 03:57:29 pm »
Just work on the 2005 runtimes.

Uninstall all of them. Reinstall all of them (regular version AND SP1 version), BOTH the x64 and the x86 versions, see here:

http://www.fsdreamteam.com/forum/index.php/topic,7579.msg63142.html#msg63142

Hitchhiker

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2016, 05:11:36 pm »
I've uninstalled and re-installed all 2005 runtimes including SP1 (x86 and x64). No joy. Still getting the same error. Is there anything else I could try?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2016, 09:29:18 pm »
I've uninstalled and re-installed all 2005 runtimes including SP1 (x86 and x64). No joy. Still getting the same error. Is there anything else I could try?

You might try to use the Depends utility over Couatl.exe:

http://www.dependencywalker.com/

Use the x86 version and open Couatl.exe. It will likely tell you which system libraries are missing/corrupted on your system. This won't FIX your problem automatically, but you should at least know WHAT's causing it.

Hitchhiker

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2016, 12:22:15 am »
That was very helpful. I seem to be missing a very long list of DLLs (API-MS-WIN and EXT-MS mostly) in "C:\Windows\System32" (listed in the modules section of Dependency Walker. I also seem to be missing "simconnect.dll". The runtimes seem to have installed properly, but perhaps they have not?

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2016, 01:44:03 am »
I seem to be missing a very long list of DLLs (API-MS-WIN and EXT-MS mostly) in "C:\Windows\System32"

Those are false alarms, don't worry about them.

I also seem to be missing "simconnect.dll". The runtimes seem to have installed properly, but perhaps they have not ?

If the problem were the runtimes, you should also see an error about missing MSVCR80.DLL. If you don't have this error, then the problem is just the Simconnect client.

Hitchhiker

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2016, 07:21:17 pm »
MSVCR80.DLL was missing, but I copied a copy into the the System32 folder from the WinSxS folder. That didn't solve the issue, however, I suspect the problems are a bit wider now as I noticed that following the interventions to fix the bglmanx.dll issue, my PMDG aircraft no longer load as they should (so this is a more widespead VC++ runtime and/or Simconnect issue). I am very puzzled as all of these items have been reinstalled... At this point I am wondering if rebooting windows into repair mode might help fix the issue, given that previous users have reported success with re-installing Windows. Any ideas welcome! Thanks.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2016, 09:16:47 pm »
MSVCR80.DLL was missing, but I copied a copy into the the System32 folder from the WinSxS folder. That didn't solve the issue

That won't work. The SxS system is very complex, and requires additional files (policy files, xml file, etc. ) AND registry keys to be set, which is usually done by the MS runtime installers. However, they are not able to fix all of these issues automatically, and sometimes a Windows reinstall it's easier than just trying to fix SxS.

Microsoft, of course, realized they created a very complex and fragile system so, starting with Visual C++ 2012, they got rid of the WinSxS system, and simply had the runtime DLL ( MSVCR120.DLL ) just placed in the System folder, and that's it.

Unfortunately, the FSX Simconnect SP2 is stuck with the VC++ 2005 runtimes, which are also needed and used by FSX itself, so any problem with these will affect every FSX addon that use Simconnect, even if the Addon *itself* (not counting its calls to Simconnect) is compiled to require the VC++ 2012/2013 runtimes. Our modules all use the VC++ 2013 runtimes now, but when we call Simconnect, the dependency from the 2005 version is still there, with all the complications related to SxS attached.

however, I suspect the problems are a bit wider now as I noticed that following the interventions to fix the bglmanx.dll issue, my PMDG aircraft no longer load as they should (so this is a more widespead VC++ runtime and/or Simconnect issue)

Yes, PMDG requires the same Simconnect as we do ( FSX SP2 version ), so any problem with it, would affect equally all 3rd party addon modules that requires it.

I am very puzzled as all of these items have been reinstalled... At this point I am wondering if rebooting windows into repair mode might help fix the issue, given that previous users have reported success with re-installing Windows.

I'm not sure if a Windows repair would restore the 2005 runtimes: it depends if they are considered core OS components or not. Before doing that, I'll try the following:

- If you have FSX installed, try to repair FSX. More specifically start the SP2 (or the Acceleration Pack) installer, and choose the Repair option.

- Try to reinstall other MS runtimes that might fix your VC++ 2005 runtimes, like the .NET runtimes, for example.