Author Topic: FSX crashes after GSX install **SOLVED**  (Read 5676 times)

Alaex

FSX crashes after GSX install **SOLVED**
« on: July 09, 2015, 02:58:12 pm »
Hello guys,

i have a very huge problem with GSX and my FSX. Well, i have to admit that i downloaded GSX on a website quite a while ago but never used it.
Yesterday i finally thought: well lets give it a try. So i jumped into my A320 and to my hub in EDDM and everything worked pretty fine.
I am used to AES and i never thought GSX would be so much better.

The reason i downloaded it from an illegal website is, that i wanted to see if it would work and how well it would work. (i did not now that there was a free-trial version on your website)
I then went to fsdreamteam and bought GSX for around 45 euro.

I deinstalled the old one (from the "fishy" website), downloaded the full installer and the vehicles from November 2014 and when i started FSX it crashed immeadiately.
A message popped up blaming FSUIPC so i downloaded the newest version. Now the game just crashes without an error warning.
It just says "FSX has encountered a problem" - or sth like that.

When i deinstall GSX everything is fine and i can start FSX without a problem.

And i am quite confused: do i need to install the GSX setup and the addon manager or just the full installer?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:38:18 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX crashes after GSX install
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2015, 03:06:42 pm »
If you downloaded GSX from an honeypot site (those site that will let you download FAKE "cracked" version, just to get you there and click on ads), it's no wonder it will cause issue with your FSX, since those wannabe pirates mess up by mixing files coming from old version, together with new versions, which is precisely what the software is designed not to allow...

They also do the same with PMDG airplanes: since they might not be able to crack new versions, they let you download a recent installer, with the gauge from the previous version (nobody notices, but the airplane will obviously malfunction)...

I'm not sure what the fake cracked version you have really does, but if you want to do a clean installation, do as follows:

- Uninstall GSX.

- Reply YES to the questions "Do you want to remove the Addon Manager?" and "Do you want to remove the Couatl scripting engine ?" made at the end. This is VERY important

- Check if your FSX\fsdreamteam\Couatl folder is not there anymore.

- Remove these folders:

%APPDATA%\Virtuali
%PROGRAMDATA\Virtuali

- Check you don't have any file named bglmanx* ( a .DLL and some .DAT files ) in your FSX root folder

- Reinstall GSX.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2015, 03:38:02 pm by virtuali »

Alaex

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2015, 03:35:20 pm »
Thank you so much for your very quick and detailled reply!

I followed your instructions - the key was to delete the "virtuali" folders - and now it works perfectly fine.

Thank you so much! Now i can finally enjoy GSX :) its really an amazing product!

rah387

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2015, 09:40:25 pm »
the key was to delete the "virtuali" folders - and now it works perfectly fine.

+1 on this. I was having the same issue where the Addon manager was causing the crash. Here's what I did:

- Uninstall any and all of your FSDT products. Make sure to have it remove Couatl and Addon Manager as well.
- Go into your AppData\Roaming folder ({yourWindowsdrive}:\Users\{yourusername}\AppData\Roaming) and delete the folder that says Virtuali.
- Reinstall your FSDT products as usual (get the latest Addon Manager from the site, just in case)
- Enjoy the awesome of FSDT!

Umberto - this might be something we may want to sticky since it's happening to a lot of users.

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2015, 09:47:20 pm »
Umberto - this might be something we may want to sticky since it's happening to a lot of users.

Well...no...it's only happening if there's something really wrong with the preferences in that folder. They are all .INI files, so they are text files, but if they are being edited by hand, or with unreasonable values, they might caused crashes.

For example, we recently found an user that, in order not to be annoyed by the "open doors" message from GSX, instead of using the normal GSX interface to set it the timing interval an higher value, edited the .INI file by hand, and set a value with a so large number of zero ( like several trillions of seconds... ), that caused an overflow of the math routines, so we add a check for this kind of issues too, in the latest Couatl 3 Beta...

But normally, it's not required to trash the preferences to reinstall.

rah387

Re: FSX crashes after GSX install **SOLVED**
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 05:28:40 am »
Understood.

This is a complete summary of what was happening to me. My sim was crashing at random. There was not a specific action I was performing to cause the sim to crash except start FSX. When I checked the event viewer, it only said that fsx.exe had crash and no faulting module was specified. I performed a clean re-installation FSX and reinstalled addons one by one. When it came time to install and test GSX, the free flight page loaded and promptly CTD. That is how I was able to isolate that the Couatl Engine was causing the crashes. When I performed the steps I listed in my previous post, the crashes stopped.

I have never manually edited any of the .ini files. As a matter of fact, I rarely access the Couatl Engine since GSX does a great job defining door positions and parking spaces on initial install. Honestly, I can't even remember the last time I changed any of the customization options.

All I know is I'm glad that everything is working fine now  :)

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: FSX crashes after GSX install **SOLVED**
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2015, 09:10:28 pm »
When it came time to install and test GSX, the free flight page loaded and promptly CTD. That is how I was able to isolate that the Couatl Engine was causing the crashes. When I performed the steps I listed in my previous post, the crashes stopped.

The Couatl.exe program can surely crash by itself, but it CANNOT crash FSX, this is 100% technically impossible, because as an external .exe, it doesn't have ANY access to FSX. If the crashes disappeared when you removed the %APPDATA%\Virtuali folders, you can only have fixed any potential crashes IN Couatl, but not in FSX itself.

You FSX CTD were fixed by some *other* steps in the procedure you did, but they weren't related to Couatl, you only assumed they were related, but the FSX CTD fixing was a result of something else, probably the first one:

- Uninstall any and all of your FSDT products. Make sure to have it remove Couatl and Addon Manager as well.

Because a file mismatch in the *Addon Manager* files ( not Couatl, Addon Manager is a .DLL so it CAN crash FSX ), usually caused by the antivirus blocking the download of some files but letting other be installed resulting in a mix-match of version, and this WILL cause a CTD.