Author Topic: Zürich and the PMDG MD11  (Read 5141 times)

Urs Wildermuth

• Beta tester
    • DANUR CFS
Zürich and the PMDG MD11
« on: October 29, 2008, 01:09:33 pm »
Hi Umberto and all,

I notice a problem which I am not at all sure where it's coming from. I am currently flight testing the PMDG MD11 for FlightXpress and have run into a problem. Whenever I land or move around Zürich, New York or Chicago, I get a "This computer has run out of available memory" message. Only on these 3 airports. I wonder if it has anything to do with the special features you use. Obviously, I'd like to use the MD11 (of which I am a huge fan) in Zürich (which is my homebase).

Question therefore. Is it possible somehow to disable these additional features without loosing the scenery display? If the parkings don't work e.t.c. is not so important for now, but I still need the scenery.

As this only happens at there 3 airports, I think there must be a connection. Maybe you might want to crosscheck this with PMDG (I told them as well last week in Paderborn) and check it out. All the airports are of course heavily used by such long haul planes.

Best regards
Urs
Best regards
Urs

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: Zürich and the PMDG MD11
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2008, 01:29:30 pm »
Whenever I land or move around Zürich, New York or Chicago, I get a "This computer has run out of available memory" message. Only on these 3 airports. I wonder if it has anything to do with the special features you use.

If you had the issue at JFK only, it might have been related to the special features, because JFK is the only one that *really* has "special" feature, up to a point to requiring a separate module for it (the Couatl Python engine).

But KORD and LSZH, they don't really do something special that might lead to a memory exhaustion. Most of the work is done via Simconnect and, the few bits that Simconnect do not supports, are just writing a couple of value in memory, but there aren't any explicit ram allocations. If the write to memory was wrong (and it's not), FSX would simply crash, instead of giving an memory exhaustion message.

There's are several discussions on Avsim about the PMDG MD-11 OOM

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=121&topic_id=456054&mesg_id=456117

http://forums.avsim.net/dcboard.php?az=set_linear_mode&forum=136&page=&topic_id=156477&prev_page=show_topic

Which doesn't mention our sceneries. So, I think that the airplane simply takes too much memory, forcing probably to enable the /3GB switch. It might have happened with any other complex scenery or addon, like AI packages, etc.

Urs Wildermuth

• Beta tester
    • DANUR CFS
Re: Zürich and the PMDG MD11
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2008, 03:12:33 pm »
Thanks for the links. I think you are right, it is a general problem. Hope they will fix it :)
Best regards
Urs