Author Topic: LSGG Elevation Problem **SOLVED, not an FSDT problem**  (Read 5943 times)

Dustof2002

LSGG Elevation Problem **SOLVED, not an FSDT problem**
« on: July 07, 2015, 07:02:36 pm »
Hello,

i use FSX with Acc Pack and have a Elivation Problem in LSGG. I also use FTX Global, VTX Vector, FTX Europe LC. Nothing else there.
I try to use the FTX Vector Configurator, donĀ“t work...

Best regards

Stefan
« Last Edit: July 07, 2015, 07:14:39 pm by virtuali »

virtuali

• Administrator
    • VIRTUALI Sagl
Re: LSGG Elivation Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 07:14:22 pm »
i use FSX with Acc Pack and have a Elevation Problem in LSGG. I also use FTX Global, VTX Vector, FTX Europe LC. Nothing else there.

Well, at least you said "nothing else there". You already use A LOT of 3rd party products that are the source of such problems!!

As discussed so many times in the forum, whenever you have an airport raised on a platform when using 3rd party meshes (the problem doesn't obviously happen with the default scenery), the problem is NEVER the airport, and it's ALWAYS the 3rd party mesh.

Since FSX doesn't really support sloped runways, airports are always set to a single altitude, which cannot be anything else than the official published elevation. And of course, all our sceneries are made like that.

But of course, real world is not flat an an airport, and sloped airports do exists. However, the MS default mesh has been pre-processed to smooth out elevation differences at the runway ends, so you will not notice such problems with the default scenery.

But if you add a 3rd party mesh scenery, it should be either already pre-processed like the default one OR it should come with specific fixes for the airports. Just like Microsoft fixed this in their mesh, it's the mesh developers job to ensure their mesh won't cause problem to airports that cannot be sloped like in real life, for countless of reasons (AI, how the FSX graphic engine works, etc.).

There are product designed specifically for this purpose. FS Global had a companion product called AFM (Airport Flattening Mesh) which was supposed to fix these issue:

http://www.fly2pilots.com/cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=d3fca479-6c4c-465b-bd75-97445878ae48

But they say it doesn't work with FS/FTX Global Vector, and they are working on a new version.

That's just to point out, it's nothing that we are supposed to fix on our side, and mesh developers seems to be very aware it's their responsibility to verify this doesn't happen.